rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Edge #340 | Overwatch 2

On 01/12/2019 at 08:16, Nate Dogg III said:

Yeah the 3 was from gamesTM IIRC. 

I remember the anger around that review clearly. It nearly upset as many of our readers as my 4/10 Lego Star Wars review :lol:

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:24, Mr Do 71 said:

COD: Modern Warfare - 6

Thats harsh. It's the best COD this generation. Although I guess that might notbe saying much

Now that I am a fair chunk into Death Stranding. I think it was somewhat Churlish of Edge to have a strop when Sony insisted on a minimum play time and completion. They spent a fortune on it, and its clearly a labour of love. If It was my creation I would insist on the same.

It's a 9 by the way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Ah man I remember that

I think Way Of The Rodent even ran a list article listing other things that were the equivalent of 4/10. I think one of them was the love for a small child or something :lol:

7 minutes ago, strider said:

I think Way Of The Rodent even ran a list article listing other things that were the equivalent of 4/10. I think one of them was the love for a small child or something :lol:

You and I shared a PM or two about it in 2005 :D

I'm circling a re-sub, but I'd just like to put it out there I wish Edge covered less Destiny and FROM, and more stuff that I personally play. It seems only fair.

So that's Fortnite and then 30 minutes of the latest AAA game before declaring it shite and uninstalling. We're at the point in Siege's life cycle where I'd like a good moan about that too: talk about how GaaS, esports and a younger audience have ruined a once great tactical game.

To be fair, more Fortnite covers and features might get some extra sales.

No? Fair enough.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I'm circling a re-sub, but I'd just like to put it out there I wish Edge covered less Destiny and FROM, and more stuff that I personally play.

:lol:

I personally want to see Edge cover even more Destiny. I think maybe a monthly column or two on it would be good. Maybe some specially themed monthly covers for subscribers.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Surely there are entire magazines that cover only Fortnite, plus you’ll get free sweets and stickers

But I won't be able to display those on a shelf next to Sight&Sound's Minion movie retrospective.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I personally want to see Edge cover even more Destiny. I think maybe a monthly column or two on it would be good. Maybe some specially themed monthly covers for subscribers.

nah, nate’s had a while off from his column: time to bring in a slay the spire tactics page in the style of all of those chess puzzle/endgame columns

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Some sad news.

Very sad news. I spoke to Jason quite a few times, the last time was last September at my friend Simon Cox's (former deputy editor of EDGE) wedding. Jason was best man and he gave such an amazing speech. Very moving. He was an incredibly sharp witted, intelligent guy and a very talented illustrator as well. He'll be sorely missed.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, footle said:

nah, nate’s had a while off from his column: time to bring in a slay the spire tactics page in the style of all of those chess puzzle/endgame columns

yes! Except it’s just a series of all the ways I have died to slime boss. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/11/2019 at 10:06, Jamie John said:

I really hope Planet Zoo gets a PS4 port.

Ps5 more likely if ever, took years for the upcoming Planet Coaster port. More to the point the UI of PZ from what I've seen is incredibly fiddly even for a PC. 

It’s utopian in its outlook – uplifting, optimistic, full of hope and promise. Overwatch’s world is one in which people come together and work in unison to achieve a common goal.

Sometimes.

On 5 December 2019 at 00:36, Benny said:

Can we have a feature on Time Bastard?

Only if it is cut short at exactly twelve words and no

• Upvote 2

On 04/12/2019 at 16:09, PeteBrant said:

Thats harsh. It's the best COD this generation. Although I guess that might notbe saying much

Now that I am a fair chunk into Death Stranding. I think it was somewhat Churlish of Edge to have a strop when Sony insisted on a minimum play time and completion. They spent a fortune on it, and its clearly a labour of love. If It was my creation I would insist on the same.

It's a 9 by the way.

It's just typical Edge. Out of touch. 

• Downvote 4

On 04/12/2019 at 16:09, PeteBrant said:

It's a 9 by the way.

Have you read the review? I just read it. Three quarters of it is an opinion piece about the insensitivity of the settings (‘Why can’t you lessen the civilian body count?”) and the rest more or less says it is a masterclass in tension and a return to form.

They seem to have marked it in line with their distaste for the themes rather than on its gameplay, or at least marked it down because of that.

A review is an opinion piece, surely? If the writer didn't like the crassness of the game's approach to terrorism and civilian slaughter, then it's fair enough to mark the game down for it.

• Upvote 5

@K Of course it’s fair, they can say what they want. It is a muddled piece in its logic though, which seems to try and justify the fact that other better scoring games were just as crass or worse in their narrative, but that such criticism is now necessary because we live in different times when terrorism is on our doorstep. Which is absurd when terrorism has been on our doorstep for at least the past fifty years.

If only you could talk to the terrorists. Anyway, as people (and Edge) have pointed out, it’s the best COD since MW2 if you can live with the scenarios, which are no better or worse than they ever were. In fact in light of current World affairs relating to the Trump administration’s relationship with Russia and treatment of the Kurds I’d say it actually all seems, whether by chance or design, positively seditious and relevant compared to previous Modern Warfare games.

29 minutes ago, K said:

A review is an opinion piece, surely? If the writer didn't like the crassness of the game's approach to terrorism and civilian slaughter, then it's fair enough to mark the game down for it.

I dunno about that. I don't want someone elses moral compass to be a buying guide for me.