rllmuk
Gotters

New Hardware - The Bad Games We Play/Buy

Yeah, I can only remember getting a GameCube on launch day and between Super Monkey Ball, Rogue Squadron, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion, I don't think I did too badly. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

It's kind of nice that we have cross-generation games now to take the sting out of this. And even before those, there have been honestly decent, interesting games at every console launch, right? Ground-breaking things like Mario 64 seem to be the exception but even the PS2 had TimeSplitters.

Now, the 6-18 months after launch, where you're craving novelty but the important launch games are gone, and the big post-launch content has yet to arrive, that's where it gets interesting. I remember talking @Spacehost in to getting Extermination over Onimusha and I'm not completely sure I was wrong.

It was definitely an educational experience. Got you back when I bought DMC instead of... whatever shitshow we had planned to get, anyway.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Sonic adventure wasn’t available at launch was it? VF3tb was the big hitter. I’m one of the few who see Sonic Adventure as good as Mario 64. Blew my mind at the time. Completed it so many times over the years 

Maybe not, I bought it soon after launch, I’d ordered it before the reviews had hit for sure.

Some of sonic adventure was pretty mind blowing to be fair but looking back it was rather unfinished.

The OG PSP release, though. I got a Japanese launch model with Ridge Racers and it was like being in the future. Probably my favourite console launch.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

That's fucking insane. :lol:

I think I have about four copies of Grid because of how many times its been given away for free. 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

The OG PSP release, though. I got a Japanese launch model with Ridge Racers and it was like being in the future. Probably my favourite console launch.

Lumines as well.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I must’ve got Wave Race early on for the GCN too. N64 was better...

I would happily have a Switch version though!

Wave Race and 1080 on the GameCube were such disappointments compared to the N64 instalments. Both really over-complicated the control systems, and were disappointingly Americanised. (Neither sequels were bad games by any stretch, just not as good as they should’ve been given their heritage.)

• Upvote 2

I read a @Rev. Stuart Campbell column which talked about launch title sales figures and how, for example, the PS2 had a launch line up of some 30 or so games, but the reality was everyone was buying Tekken and Ridge Racer and some of the others barely sold at all. The reason I remember the article (although googling for the last tdn minutes has failed to locate it) is that i was one of the people that bought Gradius 3+4 at launch and the official sales figure for that title was 16.  Oh man!  Mind you I loved it. So maybe OT for this thread.  

i do remember The Bouncer by Squaresoft playibg on video in my store for the month leading up to the PS2 launch and we had a lot of preorders. When i first played it , it was barely the same game. Looked stunning on the vhs, but bloody awful on release.

• Upvote 1

Remember the PS2 launch? How everything looked blurry, was aliased to hell and couldn’t hold a candle to the clean, clear, crisp and smooth graphics of the Dreamcast?

Plus the DVD playback was green.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I read a @Rev. Stuart Campbell column which talked about launch title sales figures and how, for example, the PS2 had a launch line up of some 3 or so games, but the reality was everyone was buying Tekken and Ridge Racer and some of the others barely sold at all. The reason I remember the article (although googling for the last tdn minutes has failed to locate it) is that i was one of the people that bought Gradius 3+4 at launch and the official sales figure for that title was 16.  Oh man!  Mind you I loved it. So maybe OT for this thread.  

i do remember The Bouncer by Squaresoft playibg on video in my store for the month leading up to the PS2 launch and we had a lot of preorders. When i first played it , it was barely the same game. Looked stunning on the vhs, but bloody awful on release.

As in all of 16 people bought it?

On 30/11/2019 at 06:56, Gotters said:

The other one that jumped straight to mind was going into Milton Keynes shopping centre and spending £50 (IIRC) for the awful Jumping Flash on PS1

WTF is this shit?:quote:

You must have meant something else...

19 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Remember the PS2 launch? How everything looked blurry, was aliased to hell and couldn’t hold a candle to the clean, clear, crisp and smooth graphics of the Dreamcast?

Plus the DVD playback was green.

When I first came across occasional comments about the PS2's green-tinted playback, I assumed that the complaints were just a side-effect of everyone buying The Matrix as their first DVD! :lol: (A pretty green film even before it was regraded to match the sequels.)

Then I found out that it is a genuine issue when playing DVDs through RGB. I never had that problem as I only ever ran my PS2 through composite SCART. :(

On 30/11/2019 at 08:38, iknowgungfu said:

....I liked Jumping Flash 

It's still a good game. 25 years later.

To my credit, I've never fallen for that trap. The only consoles I got at launch are the Dreamcast (which had the amazing Powerstone), the og Xbox (which had the stellar Halo) and the 3DS. The latter might be a bit of a stretch when saying it launched with great games, but I wouldn't call Pilotwing Resort a terrible game.

I do remember the local PS2 crowd trying to convince themselves that Fantasvision and The Bouncer were better than anything the DC had to offer. Good times.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

As in all of 16 people bought it?

Yep, I was one of the 16 people who bought it at launch.  There were rules implemented on the retailers, they had to buy a selection of software and accessory items per console, so as a manager I had to try and get customers to buy bundles of product. The point of the article (which I may be wrong about because it was years ago) was that launching a console with 30 titles was folly because everyone would buy the big hit titles and ignore the rest of them.  This was certainly my experience as our shop took delivery of all 30 titles, and we got maybe 200 consoles, 200 Tekken, 200 Ridge Racer, then about 20 - 30 of everything else.  That may not sound like a lot, but in the case of niche titles like Gradius, every store got 30 copies and it apparently sold 16 nationally.  I'd love to link to the article, but cannot find it.  @Rev. Stuart Campbell can you help?

I have a soft spot for launch games.  But I thought all of the following were crap at the time but now love them. 

X360: Quake 4 (was gonna day 99 nights, but it wasn’t a launch game, it seems!)

Ps1: Rapid reload. 

Saturn: Daytona. 

I tend to gave ive the first ten games of a system in my library it’s a good snapshot of how far a system has come. 

3 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I'd forgotten about the bouncer. Anyone remember Tobal No.1?

Check the retro folder - it was the Retro Game Club choice for June.

But nobody except me seemed to play it.

I like it.  It has a certain charm.

Bart versus the space mutants on the nes.

What were my parents thinking?

(Although i did love the simpsons back in the early 90's so was blinded by the terrible gameplay)

• Empathy 1

Rarely buy hardware on launch. Did get a DS with the absolute impossible to control Mario 64 DS. The launch period was dead as for it, picked up a real stinker; Sprung. Ubisoft’s attempt at a dating sim. It was terrible.