rllmuk
MattyP

Your future gaming

I'll buy whichever console has the best games and the best exclusives, and if the next generation is like the current generation then that'll be a PS5 and Switch 2.

Whatever the case, however, I'm going to try to stop myself from buying any next gen console until I've got through my backlog. I sort of quite like the idea of not having an endless stream of new games coming out that I feel obliged to buy because I own the consoles that can run them. At the moment I'm buying far more games than I'm actually playing, and seemingly every week I end up adding a new game to my 'To buy' list.

Of course, if BOTW 2 is a Switch 2 launch game then I'll drop all those principles immediately and be there day one.

I've been a PS4 gamer for most of this gen but having come latterly to the Xbox One X it's completely won me over. Thanks to GamePass I'm 90% sure I'll be going with Microsoft first next gen, and if they manage to keep the same build quality with Scarlett as they've done with the X then it's a done deal. My X is a silent powerhouse, my PS4 Pro is a roaring, creaking mess.

Genuinely not too fussed about the Switch. I don't play it half as much as I thought I would: genuine Nintendo exclusives that aren't just Wii U ports have been thin on the ground and I get all the indie games I could possibly want through GamePass. And while I've got a capable gaming PC, I'm less and less inclined to sit at a desk to play games as I get older.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well, it seems like a fairly safe bet that you'll be able to stream all the new Scarlett games to your X through Xcloud. A version running natively on the X, which also means it would have to also run on the potato OG XB1? Maybe, maybe not...

Anyway, I said Scarlett above because Game Pass but the moment Spider-Man 2 appears on PS5 I'm there. 

Actually that is interesting from a PC point of view too... if it means I can stream the latest games using my current PC setup and not have to buy a new graphics card more than happy to go that route! Good to eeek out some more years from my old GPU on the PC and not buy a GPU costing £400 - 500 :) Think MS are onto something. Guessing XBox will also be BC by default almost on the PC too.... So just have to sub to game pass and gold... So long as the exclusives are decent. 

Deffo PS5. Maybe Switch, but I only really play it when I can’t play the PlayStation. I just can’t resist the big Mario/Zelda titles. 

That’s it really. Guess I’ve settled on Sony as my brand in my 40s. 

55 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

It'll be PlayStation.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Japan Studio, Polyphony, Bend.

That's a lot of 1st party studios who've made some amazing games. I'm all in.

Actual complete and finished releases on PS4?

Depends where the unmissable exclusive games are - if on all of them, all of them. If not, some of them. This is the first generation where I thought I wasn't going to own all of them until RDR2's performance forced me to buy an X.

These threads have existed on this forum in the past. Would be good to dig up those prediction threads for a laugh. 

For me, I’m going to bury my horde of old video games for some detectorist to find in 2000 years wondering why it was buried in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

It’ll be Scarlett and Switch Pro/2 for me. I’ve just never jelled with the majority of the PS4 exclusives this gen, the only ones I genuinely liked were Horizon & the yearly update of MLB the Show, but God of War, Spider-Man etc I’ve found all a bit bland and button bashy and don’t get me started on the massively over hyped The Last of Us, that’s a 6/10 at most for me ;)

Plus, my Pro feels like cheap tat In build quality compared to my One X.

12 minutes ago, Droo said:

These threads have existed on this forum in the past. Would be good to dig up those prediction threads for a laugh.  

Indeed. And most people probably own all three consoles at this point too despite saying they are just going for one format. :)

Just takes one exclusive and then that is it.... For me:- Xbox - Forza Horizon 2; PS4 - Driveclub and Switch, Mario.

At least it maybe only PS5 and Nintendo (!).

Last time I started out with PS4 - had to wait ages for all the "launch window" titles to get actually released in particular driveclub felt like a long wait. Then Forza Horizon 2 came out and went back over to the Xbox. Really don't want to repeat this pattern of swapping around all the time and having multiple consoles.

Think I'm going to hang on to what I have - probably shifting the Xbox X on as it hardly gets used these days (due to GP on PC). Not getting anything at launch this time for sure though. Have too much of a backlog and the initial games are always a bit crap really to be fair. Although Resogun was great on PS4 but IMHO could have been done on the previous gen hardware. In fact IIRC Resogun did eventually get a PS3 release.....

Secretly hoping that streaming becomes a viable solution although don't think Sony or Nintendo would ever offer first party titles over a streaming service day one with a retail release. Although stranger things have happened....

6 minutes ago, SpookyMulder said:

Plus, my Pro feels like cheap tat In build quality compared to my One X.

Indeed just unboxed my X again for the first time since since moving in August(!). Had been on my PS4 for the past month or so. The PS4 Pro feels cheap in comparison very creaky cheap plastic and noisy in operation. Still it currently plays Shenmue 3 and Death Stranded. Oh and one of my favourite retro games, Salamander. And a few other things besides. Which I guess is the key to all this in the end. Those damn exclusives locking you in. :D Although to be fair Shenmue 3 is also available on the PC so perhaps I should have opted for that (although it got released through Epic... but not going into that here...) 

Its so quiet, compact. Always amazes me MS built it. :) Although to be fair the original One was whisper quiet too and IMHO well built. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

It'll be PlayStation.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Japan Studio, Polyphony, Bend.

That's a lot of 1st party studios who've made some amazing games. I'm all in.

Those studios are exactly why I think the PS4's first party stuff is mostly boring. It's almost like you deliberately listed them in order of quality.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

30 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Those studios are exactly why I think the PS4's first party stuff is mostly boring. It's almost like you deliberately listed them in order of quality.

I think for me at times this is ultimately franchise fatigue is the problem with AAA games on any platform. Gears 5, Forza 7, Uncharted 4 etc etc. Guess its the budgets these days and they want sure fire hits. But then we get curveballs like Death Stranded and Sunset Overdrive etc.

Be interesting to see if any fresh franchises get released on the new iteration of consoles. Personally want something new to play just not the same old tweaked a bit. Although guess this is extremely risky.  

Nintendo well... yeah. Mario, Zelda and pretty out there hardware at times. 

53 minutes ago, JPL said:

We’ll all end up with all the consoles, just like every other gen. Stop trying to fool yourselves!

lol, so true.

• Upvote 1

I didn’t get an Xbox this gen despite LOVING the 360. The original hardware was ugly and massive, that guy pissed everyone off on twitter about The Xbox needing to be always online, and then later on I was just like “no, not another box, plus wires and plugs, no!”

I imagine it’ll be PS5 and the Switch and whatever succeeds that. Who knows though? 

Only times I’ve ever been remotely interested in Xbox is when Jet Set Radio Future came out on it exclusively. Then nothing until Ori and Cuphead this gen. Both came out for the Switch eventually. 

There might have been a pang or waver of curiosity when MS signed Rare, but then that never really amounted to anything. Viva Piñata is probably the only thing that came out of that partnership that even remotely appealed to me. I just don’t get the Xbox, never have.

EDIT: Gamepass looks a reallllly sweet fucking deal though, must admit. 

• Upvote 1

Going to avoid being an early adopter this time. So much still to play on the current gen. Then hopefully get a revision version a couple of years later. I don't play online really, so makes no sense to go all in early. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

We’ll all end up with all the consoles, just like every other gen. Stop trying to fool yourselves!

I didn’t this time around . Absolutely nothing on Xbox to convince me that it was worth buying one . Whereas PS4 has probably had the best game line up of any console ever .

of course next generation the reset button is hit. So it’s up for grabs again. I’m open minded about which horse I’ll back . I don’t really care about BC . I buy consoles to play new games , not old ones ( remakes asides).

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Going to avoid being an early adopter this time. So much still to play on the current gen. Then hopefully get a revision version a couple of years later. I don't play online really, so makes no sense to go all in early. 

Day one, then. 

I've got to say that I'm not at all attracted to the XB1, either, despite owning a 360 over a PS3 last gen, and even with all these mega cheap Black Friday deals that are around at the moment.

As has been mentioned, I really think that consoles win or succeed based on their exclusives more than any other factor, and, for me, Xbox just haven't had the games this gen. Moreover, seeing as all Scarlett exclusives are going to be available on Windows as well, I'd be far more inclined to go with a decent PC as my main games-playing device and then have a PS5 and Switch for their exclusives.

Gamespass doesn't really appeal to me, either; like PS Plus and GoG (neither of which I have), it just seems like something that would very quickly add a load of games to my teetering pile of shame.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It's a far cry from the PS1 and PS2 days when they were really on top of their creativity and made lots of fun experiences and traditional videogames with strong gameplay mechanics.

The current market seems to want cinematic 'experiences' with bloated game worlds, quest checking, auto targeting and lots of hand holding, A direction I find a bit cynical, safe and ultimately dull. I'm glad there's other options because the PS4 has been a really shoddy [hardware] and uninvolving [first party software] experience this gen.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

.Gamespass doesn't really appeal to me, either; like PS Plus and GoG (neither of which I have), it just seems like something that would very quickly add a load of games to my teetering pile of shame.

Used to think that about gamepass but have to say had real value out of it and discovered played lots of games that I probably would never have bought. It gives you a good opportunity to try things out. Just because there are lots of games on there you don't need to play them all it's all about having a good selection to choose from. Even at what is it 10.99 a month think it offers great value. Essentially that's the price of an average indie title a month let alone AAA games.

Personally like it although not been overly impressed with MS's AAA games lately but the indie titles are fantastic. Many games I have nearly bought on the switch for around £10 (or more) I've played through on here. Latest one I'm playing because I discovered on Gamepass is Wandersong on the PC.... (Fabulous game BTW if you like something a bit different!).

Sony have had some great content this generation but feel sometimes they haven't had such a diverse line up of games they had on the PS3. Journey, flOw and flower being 3 examples of PS3 games published by Sony. 

Still Sony still try and push the boundaries and at least have a stab at innovating a bit on the hardware side. The pad - touch area on the pad and the light bar built in speaker. OK perhaps gimmicky and a bit underused but still something novel and PSVR too....

Honestly, I'd like to buy no new hardware and just play retro stuff/backlog and whatever upcoming (most likely indie) games I'm interested in that my current (already aging) pc can handle. I haven't liked where non-indie gaming has been heading for a long time and I think now might be the time to bow out.

Didn't buy an xbox one and have no intention of buying the new one.

Got a ps4 near release and I have a lot of psvr games but very few non vr games. I'm going to hold off on getting a ps5, ideally not buy it at all. The sony exclusives are generally cinematic heavy stuff and that sort of game really isnt my cup of tea.

Got a switch at release but I still only have about 5 games for it (including BOTW and MK8 which I also have on wii u..). I played all of the wii u ports on wii u and I only really care about a couple of big hitters with nintendo. 3D Mario and Zelda. Feels like they're coasting on play it safe B-tier first party output on switch lately(I'm not saying the games are bad).

It's hard to justify buying full price indie games that I already got for free on pc via epic/twitch prime or for pennies in a bundle.

Still it's hard to resist nintendo hardware when a new 3d mario comes along or if they made a new F-Zero etc.

I have a pc with an overclocked first gen i7 (about 9 years old) and a gtx 780 ti and I can't really see any point upgrading it, which is crazy when I think back to the days you'd buy a pc and 3 years later it would struggle to run anything acceptably. I'm happy with 1080p 60fps and mainly play indie stuff these days anyway. I'm sure there'll be a point sooner or later where I can't run AAA stuff at all, but I think I can live without it.

I still play/like games as much as ever, have been playing a lot of ps1 and psp games lately.

I've just realised that modern mainstream gaming generally does nothing for me and new consoles don't get enough games that I want to play to justify the cost/clutter. There's the odd good arcade style game but not enough to justify buying the hardware.

In a few years when I have them all I'll remember this post and shake my head I'm sure :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MattyP said:

Personally like it although not been overly impressed with MS's AAA games lately but the indie titles are fantastic. Many games I have nearly bought on the switch for around £10 (or more) I've played through on here. Latest one I'm playing because I discovered on Gamepass is Wandersong on the PC.... (Fabulous game BTW if you like something a bit different!).

How much of that monthly subscription do the indie devs actually see, though? At a guess, I'd say not much, especially when Game pass has been going for silly cheap prices recently.

33 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

How much of that monthly subscription do the indie devs actually see, though? At a guess, I'd say not much, especially when Game pass has been going for silly cheap prices recently.

Microsoft and apple are buying market access.

29 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There's not been much said, but the Descenders developers were extremely positive about Gamepass.

"Since Descenders came out on Game Pass, the thing I did not realise would happen -- because you'd assume that you put something on Game Pass and sales tank, right? I had assumed that: why would anyone buy the game when they can literally see it on Game Pass?

"We were like, should we do this Game Pass thing? But we did it, and 1.0 came out, and I think it the launch was about three times as big as the Steam Early Access launch... You could say it was putting the multiplayer in, or it was not being Early Access any more, so more people bought it. But the biggest surprise for me was Game Pass."

"Being on Game Pass means that you basically have constant featuring on Xbox. You're game is on the dashboard all the time... People are seeing our game every day.

"And because of that, during launch month, our Xbox sales -- we didn't do any discounts on it or anything -- quadrupled, and have now settled to about three times as much as before. It's essentially an advert; a straight up advert.

"And now Xbox is asking, 'Oh, can we feature Descenders in more of the Game Pass advertising?' Yes, you can. Of course you fucking can."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-09-no-more-robots-im-just-doing-d-and-d-but-in-a-discord-server

• Upvote 1

I think i'm done with new consoles, finally. It's taken me 40 years to not get excited by the new releases, just don't need anything else than i already have (Pro, X, Switch and all the previous generations).

I've worked out if i retire tomorrow and live to 100 i'll just about get through the backlog of games i have, so i'm going to run this idea past the wife this morning, to see if she minds doing extra hours.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I don't need a new console for another 5 years. But let's be realistic - From are going to announce Bloodborne 2 as a PS5 launch exclusive and I will bang out my preorder quicker than you can say moist.

• Upvote 1