rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TomCGCG

Tetro Chess - That mobile game what I wrote...

So some other bits and pieces from replies here (thanks chaps!)

I was also surprised that I seem to have stumbled on a thing that hasn't been done before.  But maybe there's dozens of versions out there languishing unseen due to even less promotional work than I'm doing?

Rotation buttons would be better suited either side of the tetromino, but it was a question of screen real estate.  Tapping the tetromino would absolutely work, as in hindsight I don't think anyone is using both rotation buttons (but rotating three quarters clockwise instead of one quarter anti-clockwise).

The timer stops getting faster at about 1000 points.  I had to have a trade-off between what I thought was challenging to my 40 year old reflexes, but where you could also get a nice chunk through the unlockables progress bar per game.  I also didn't really want people playing it for ages.  A quick blast game.  I can't beat 2000 points, but if anyone has any StarCraft 2 experts in their circle of friends I'd like to see how they do.

I did toy with putting in achievements and one of those would absolutely be a "game over in one move" as it's amusing to see people do it having done it myself, and it's entirely your own doing!  But y'all have no ads, unlockables, leaderboards, and you don't need an internet connection, so yeah worth a quid :-)

• Upvote 1

This is a nice little game. Challenging and a fresh idea using 2 well known concepts, good going. Best quid I’ve spent today.

• Upvote 1

On 28/11/2019 at 17:32, sir stiff_one said:

I am interested in this and I personally know that £1 is a tiny amount to pay and due to the forum connection I might go for it but it’s so against the grain of everything mobile  these days, I wonder what the goal of making the game was. Obviously it’s fun to be the plucky underdog that might be the one that sell loads because it’s different, but even if you sell 1000 copies it’s not going to recompense you for your time. Charging for it in this way is surely hugely limiting to the potential audience this will ever reach, isn’t it? Apologies if this isn’t your goal and you have considered all of these things. It’s highly likely of course that a new game sinks without trace even when provided as free to start/play etc. Or perhaps I’m ignorant and there is a thriving underground pound game market on mobile these days? 

It's a bit like that old Stewart Lee thing isn't it, you only need to tap into a small core audience who will pay if you're providing quite a specific thing that they value.

I wouldn't advise anyone quit their dayjob to try it, and it requires a lot of legwork shopping the game around places like Toucharcade and trying to build up a good reputation, but you do see people like Michael Brough, Zach Gage, Philipp Stollenmayer cranking games out under this model.

Free with pay to remove ads can also work (one of my absolute favourite mobile puzzlers, Six Match, does this). Bear in mind though that a free game is also very likely to sink without a trace unless you're actively advertising it. Which is a whole other can of worms.

Also: not sure about the icon. I think it's more important that it matches the art style of the game than looking super polished. Google Play lets you experiment with that stuff fairly easily without having to resubmit the game.

I'm delighted you guys like it.  And delighted that it's a game one can get better at with a bit of practise (and if I say so myself the final chess set unlock is pretty neat to reward that time spent practising).

Yeah, icons, dang.  I was creatively at a low ebb for that, which is very counterproductive.  You need to make loads at varying resolutions, and the UI for the developer consoles is a hot mess, so it was very much a case of something being better than nothing, get it out, and learn lessons.  But in theory I've a release worth of stuff to do, so a funkier icon could be part of that.  But don't hold your breath, Tetro Chess fans, unfortunately December is not being kind for giving me some development time.

14 minutes ago, TomCGCG said:

Yeah, icons, dang.  I was creatively at a low ebb for that, which is very counterproductive.  You need to make loads at varying resolutions, and the UI for the developer consoles is a hot mess, so it was very much a case of something being better than nothing, get it out, and learn lessons.  

There are websites that can help with this - I used makeappicon.com for example.  Simply upload one image and it will email you all the different sizes/resolutions you need for Xcode.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

There are websites that can help with this - I used makeappicon.com for example.  Simply upload one image and it will email you all the different sizes/resolutions you need for Xcode.

Aha, thank you!  I was still wedded to my pixel perfect vision when doing the icons which was daft.  Should've got a nice chunky piece, at a jaunty angle, and a 2x2 tile background.  Badabing.

As an aside the pixel perfect nature of the game is something I'm very pleased with, even if sometimes the letterboxing on long thin devices (or short squat devices) isn't quite what one would want.  If you take a screenshot and zoom in, every pixel is whole number multiples of pixels, generally about seven I think for most devices.  For game two I'll be making that transition from game board to void much less harsh.

Awesome work Tom! Will drag myself away from Pokemon and have a go at it this evening :)

• Upvote 1