rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TomCGCG

Tetro Chess - That mobile game what I wrote...

Bought. I do not know how the search algorithm works in the App Store, but the title was auto-filled when I searched.

• Upvote 1

Cheers chaps!  After release the iOS version was definitely showing up in search results in google, before the Android version was (despite searching using google on a google browser for a thing on a google platform!).

57 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Honestly thought about calling the company "Worth a Quid" games but that doesn't really work internationally.  I kinda want a pixel version of Bixby Snyder now...

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I bought it, I don't really understand how it works. Can you explain a little on how to play?

Absolutely!  Okay so the goal is to get a high score.  You get points per square moved and per obstacle destroyed.

Each square visited gets a token obstacle placed in it so you can't move back there.

Each square moved charges up one segment of the tetrominoes.

When you have four segments charged you can drag and drop the tetromino onto the board to clear obstacles.  To clear stuff all four segments have to be over an obstacle, i.e. you can't just clear two obstacles with a fully charged tetromino.  Rotate the tetromino before dragging by using the buttons.

If you get the countdown you may still be able to escape by clearing some space.

Your next chess pieces are indicated above the board, the next tetrominoes are indicated below the board.

The hourglass indicates when an obstacle will be dropped.  This is reset by moving / dropping.  This speeds up as you reach score thresholds.

Pawns are super annoying.

There ya go, I think that covers it!  There is a "how to play" if you tap the ? on the title screen, but that's very abridged due to font / resolution limitiations.  Probably something I'd change if doing it all over again.

• Upvote 2

I bought it but the lack of that proper explanation above on how to play or any simple tutorial screen meant it wasn't something I immediately bonded with.

It all looks a bit 'scruffy' - I know I'm meant to say 'well done, great on getting it out' but the phone market is just brutally competitive, and I'll be honest if it wasn't for a bit of forum support I wouldn't have clicked on the game link in the store and bought it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I bought it but the lack of that proper explanation above on how to play or any simple tutorial screen meant it wasn't something I immediately bonded with.

It all looks a bit 'scruffy' - I know I'm meant to say 'well done, great on getting it out' but the phone market is just brutally competitive, and I'll be honest if it wasn't for a bit of forum support I wouldn't have clicked on the game link in the store and bought it.

Oh that's completely fair.  You get the actual *game* bit done and then it's, "oh I need a title screen" then "oh, and a how to, and an about, and buttons, and icons, and leaderboards etc. etc." and some of those assets may have not had the care and attention that say, the actual pieces did.  A more polished / cohesive UI / UX is definitely something that game two will have, to try and get away from the 80's bedroom coder aesthetic.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I had another go quickly, and it actually made sense! It's quite fun, I think. Well done!

:wub:

Cheers!  I am very pleased with it overall myself, especially that core idea.

I am interested in this and I personally know that £1 is a tiny amount to pay and due to the forum connection I might go for it but it’s so against the grain of everything mobile  these days, I wonder what the goal of making the game was. Obviously it’s fun to be the plucky underdog that might be the one that sell loads because it’s different, but even if you sell 1000 copies it’s not going to recompense you for your time. Charging for it in this way is surely hugely limiting to the potential audience this will ever reach, isn’t it? Apologies if this isn’t your goal and you have considered all of these things. It’s highly likely of course that a new game sinks without trace even when provided as free to start/play etc. Or perhaps I’m ignorant and there is a thriving underground pound game market on mobile these days? 

I'll pop some credit down on this, looks like it could be a nice little brain scratcher, and it'll be good to support a forum-type since Magnetic Billiards never came to Android ;)

I’ve bought it, will give it a good go!

To be honest it felt nice to actually buy an app instead of another ad-laden freemium title. It may not be sustainable in today’s ecosystem but a quid to own something feels good.

• Upvote 1

I quite like this. I feel like there’s enough going on that it probably doesn’t need two timed things to add pressure (the countdown when you don’t have a valid move and the falling rocks). I would be curious to play a “peaceful” version that skips one or both of those, where I’m focusing on trying to keep valid moves coming. There’s a lot to plan ahead with (and the time limit is discouraging me from doing so).

Really like the music but the colour schemes and board schemes can make an already complicated game a bit visually noisy.

I will keep plugging away at this...

• Upvote 1

Oh, and a quit to menu option on the pause screen or a preview window would make it easier to play with the collections.

Just got 635. Initial thought once I got a bit of a hang of it was that no timer would be nice, but as I play more I think perhaps just a slightly more generous timer would work. Liking it, it's good for encouraging planning while still being able to think on your feet :)

I like this, it's one of those things where I look at it and think, "weird that I've not seen this before."

Good work! 

• Upvote 1

Just matched 650. Tapping the piece would work for me, how about putting the rotation icons to either side of the piece? Could get cluttered I suppose. And would still like a friendlier timer.

Is this an odd thing about it - you can sometimes see that you're going to get stuck, so you wait for rocks to appear so you can remove them. I guess the trade off is that you might clog up a lot more of the board that way.

On 28/11/2019 at 17:32, sir stiff_one said:

I am interested in this and I personally know that £1 is a tiny amount to pay and due to the forum connection I might go for it but it’s so against the grain of everything mobile  these days, I wonder what the goal of making the game was. Obviously it’s fun to be the plucky underdog that might be the one that sell loads because it’s different, but even if you sell 1000 copies it’s not going to recompense you for your time. Charging for it in this way is surely hugely limiting to the potential audience this will ever reach, isn’t it? Apologies if this isn’t your goal and you have considered all of these things. It’s highly likely of course that a new game sinks without trace even when provided as free to start/play etc. Or perhaps I’m ignorant and there is a thriving underground pound game market on mobile these days? 

It was a definite choice to charge people for it.  Partially to differentiate it from all the free nonsense out there (because I think it's better than that) and because I didn't want to put in ads (because they would have diluted the "purity" of what I was doing, but also because that was another thing I would have had to work out how to implement).  I wanted to make a game and self publish.  Create for the sake of creation.  As such there's been very little time and effort, and probably thought if I'm being honest, put into the "how" to get it in front of people.  Something for game two.

Having said that if Tetro Chess somehow went viral and had a million purchases I'd be absolutely kicking myself if it were free haha!

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, LongHairStu said:

Minor quibble...

Screenshot_20191201-225607.png

Oh dang!  The three pawns bug!  Yeah, I honestly thought that was impossible until a mate sent a screenshot much like yours.  I should do a release.  Thankfully I think it can *only* happen at game start, so won't derail any in progress attempts at getting a high score.

• Upvote 1