Off Menu - your perfect 3 course meal

PK

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Er, I don't think she was being entirely serious.

Can't believe that warrants a click-bait article. Edit: Oh wait - Mail Online. Of course.

I thought she was really funny and I almost immediately made her Tuna Cheese Melt. Tabasco! (Slaps forehead). Of course!

I thought she was funny too, it was a great episode for entertainment if not the actual menu.

There must be some truth to it though, you don't just make up entirely that you are repulsed by water, or maybe you do I don't know. The other memorable one for me was the woman who didn't like starters or desserts which quite frankly is the opposite of how things should be.

33 minutes ago, Flams said:

The Jeselnik one was great fun. I don't knowhow put on it was, but James cocking up his jokes was very entertaining. I've never heard him so constantly on the back foot. 

I think it was very much a put on, buy that didn't make it any less funny :D I did think that if Jeselnik is like that IRC, however, then he'd be a bit of an alpha-posturing knob.

He talked about the Jeselnik episode on another podcast a couple of months before the episode aired, it wasn't put on.

And then when the episode finally came out Jeselnik was a bit of a cunt about it. He apparently comes from the roast comedy scene in the US which seems to be entirely populated by them.

What's interesting about it is it sounds completely fine as an episode, and like they're just doing a bit. You'd never guess Acaster completely hated it and had his confidence shattered by it. It's like the Stephen Merchant episode of RHLSTP.

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2020 at 11:19, Gaz said:

For those who aren't in the know, Gauthier is the best value tasting menu in London and if you sign up to their newsletter you can get 25% off gift cards which makes the vegan tasting menu at lunch times £45 each or thereabouts, which includes a glass of champagne, five courses, coffee and service.

The gift card is on sale now for £48 and you can get 5% off that with the code BLACK
https://www.gauthierwines.co.uk/collections/vegan/products/les-plantes-vegan-lunch-tasting-menu-for-two

If you use this link we both get £10 in points for the store
http://gauthierwines.refr.cc/garethlangston

They are also doing a vegan tasting menu that you heat up yourself at home at the moment, I've yet to try it but the menus they send me sound wonderful.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I changed to only listening when the guest was someone I knew/liked. If like me you tuned out a bit, the 100th episode is recently out. From the title you might think it is a repeat of Claudia Winkleman, but it is actually a double length where she is the host asking James and Ed their menus.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Of course people go on the show to publicise themselves and something they have been working on, but I had to turn this off as it was almost an informercial for his vodka. They even make a point of saying no money changed hands but then there's what seemed like 20 minutes of cocktail discussion and references to the vodka throughout the show until I deleted it.

I really loved the Dan Aykroyd episode. I wouldn't want every one to be like that, but it was pretty funny the way he completely ignored the format, and was in and out in half an hour. The ten - fifteen minute conversation afterwards where James and Ed decompressed was hilarious too, as was the intro where they're nervously providing a disclaimer.

The podcast in general is absolutely brilliant. James Acaster has an uncanny ability to remember some minor detail from a conversation and drop it in at the perfect moment later on. And I like the way that the vibe changes according to the guest, so that Arabella Weir was very different to Josh Gondelman, but it's all very funny and good-natured.

Am very LTTP but here goes.

1. Still or sparkling water? - Still, similar to others I really don't like sparkling water at all.  In reality though the water would remain untouched in favour of the drink :lol:
  2. POPPADOMS OR BREAD? - Bread, ideally 2 or 3 different types served with really good salted butter or olive oil
  3. Starter? - I've had some amazing black pudding starters and tapas but can't remember what they are called.  One of them! 
  4. Main? - A proper suet pastry steak and kidney pudding.  The pinnacle of all pie-craft just edging out beef wellington
  5. Side? - Trio of creamed vegetables, spinach, carrots and mushrooms
  6. ...and to drink? - A strong traditional British bitter, no particular brewery comes to mind though
  7. Very good, and for dessert? - Gah, so hard.  Sticky toffee pudding, treacle tart or steamed sponge with golden syrup; each served with a really good clotted cream vanilla ice cream. OR a creme brulee with a mixed berry compote in it if I was after a healthier alternative :lol:

I tried to match my choices into a coherent meal and struggled especially with the starter as deep fried, cheese stuffed, jalapenos would also have been a great option but didn't really go with the rest!!

27 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Am very LTTP but here goes.

1. Still or sparkling water? - Still, similar to others I really don't like sparkling water at all.  In reality though the water would remain untouched in favour of the drink :lol:
  2. POPPADOMS OR BREAD? - Bread, ideally 2 or 3 different types served with really good salted butter or olive oil
  3. Starter? - I've had some amazing black pudding starters and tapas but can't remember what they are called.  One of them! 
  4. Main? - A proper suet pastry steak and kidney pudding.  The pinnacle of all pie-craft just edging out beef wellington
  5. Side? - Trio of creamed vegetables, spinach, carrots and mushrooms
  6. ...and to drink? - A strong traditional British bitter, no particular brewery comes to mind though
  7. Very good, and for dessert? - Gah, so hard.  Sticky toffee pudding, treacle tart or steamed sponge with golden syrup; each served with a really good clotted cream vanilla ice cream. OR a creme brulee with a mixed berry compote in it if I was after a healthier alternative :lol:

I tried to match my choices into a coherent meal and struggled especially with the starter as deep fried, cheese stuffed, jalapenos would also have been a great option but didn't really go with the rest!!

Great choices!  Really good creamed spinach with a hint of nutmeg is a thing of beauty. Have you ever had squid and black pudding? I had that in a pintxos place in Barcelona and it's definitely the best tapas/pintxos I've ever eaten.

And @K you can't just drive-by post and not give us your menu :quote:

37 minutes ago, PK said:

Great choices!  Really good creamed spinach with a hint of nutmeg is a thing of beauty. Have you ever had squid and black pudding? I had that in a pintxos place in Barcelona and it's definitely the best tapas/pintxos I've ever eaten.

Don't think I've had it with squid but it actually may have been in a pintxos place in Bilbao now that you mention those, I've been trying to remember for half of today, it's really annoying me now!

With creamed spinach I normally do it with a small amount of garlic and have it as an accompaniment to a steak or a nice chop.  Not tried it with nutmeg as am not a huge fan but i'll give it a go next time I make it if I remember, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I'm not a fan when it's the star of the show but the tiniest echo of nutmeg elevates creamed spinach so much. A pinch of a pinch. A homeopathic micron.

15 hours ago, PK said:

I don't really have an off-menu! I'm not that into food to be totally honest, and have pretty unadventurous tastes. Mine would be quite boring. I just like the podcast. It's nice hearing people really going into detail on something they love.

Some of the best episodes are actualy people who don't seem to like food at all. 

There was one with a commedian who refused to have Starters because she doesn't agree with them and then just ordered a curry and a pint of lager.

I think the Greg Davies one is probably the funniest one I've heard. He also hates starters and orders a fillet steak well-done, just to absolutely minimise the level of flavour in his meal.

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2021 at 11:45, pledge said:

The Mortimer one was excellent, but somehow the following one with Ainsley Harriott is just as, if not more, surreal and bonkers.

I had to turn that one off - it just set my teeth on edge and made me cringe. I felt the same about the Winkelman episode. I listened to the Greg Davies and the Daisy May Cooper episodes, however, as they were mentioned earlier in the thread, and both of those are excellent. The recent one with Asim Chaudhry, who plays Chabuddy G in People Just Do Nothing, was very good as well, especially if you've seen the programme.

On 22/07/2021 at 19:26, StumpyJohn said:

With creamed spinach I normally do it with a small amount of garlic and have it as an accompaniment to a steak or a nice chop.  Not tried it with nutmeg as am not a huge fan but i'll give it a go next time I make it if I remember, thanks for the suggestion.

I rarely cook spinach without throwing a little freshly grated nutmeg at it. It's one of those things that just works so well, that for me once I knew about it I just never stopped.