rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
carleton

My new C64 game Millie and Molly has been released

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Hang on, what about that excellent wall jumping game?

I’m hoping to revisit it but there wasn’t much buzz and I got busy with paying work. And then like I always do I got an idea in my mind about this and here we are. Hopefully this gets more attention to allow me to bring back Blockheads. I did a bit more on that with a split screen 2 player race which feels like an excellent idea.

• Upvote 1

Here's a new video with quite a bit of progress made. The retro community seems to like what they're seeing and I've pretty much finished the game mechanics but there's plenty of tidying and presentation stuff still to do.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, carleton said:

And @Camel the platformer has morphed into this

Wow that looks exceptional. I still think you should release a version of the two-player wall jumping racing platformer though.

edit: let me know if you need a tester/feedback 

5 hours ago, Camel said:

Wow that looks exceptional. I still think you should release a version of the two-player wall jumping racing platformer though.

edit: let me know if you need a tester/feedback 

Thanks. There's a newer video on my channel now. The jerkiness is down to my crap PC struggling with video capture, the game runs at 50/60hz on real devices. I'll probably looking for testers in a months or so, cheers.

I think I agree about the two player thing. Too many ideas, too little time.

• Upvote 5

It's great that devs are still releasing C64 games. Is it just because you love the platform, @carleton?

I presume there are now C64 games that go beyond what was released back in the day, due to all the lessons in design and gaming mechanics that have emerged over the last couple of decades? I must confess that I haven't played anything that's come out since the C64 ceased production. Is there a go-to title? People play new games through a C64 emulator, right?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

It's great that devs are still releasing C64 games. Is it just because you love the platform, @carleton?

I presume there are now C64 games that go beyond what was released back in the day, due to all the lessons in design and gaming mechanics that have emerged over the last couple of decades? I must confess that I haven't played anything that's come out since the C64 ceased production. Is there a go-to title? People play new games through a C64 emulator, right?

So many games to recommend...

Try C64anabalt or Super Bread Box, brilliant C64 "demakes" of smartphone apps by Paul Koller.

Bomberland is an amazing multiplayer Bomberman game with a big single-player campaign.

Sam's Journey is a platform game so good they are remaking it for NES.

Doc Cosmos (time-switching platformer) and Neutron (Star Force tribute) are both amazing games squeezed into 16K.

Oh, and a plug for Carleton's forthcoming Picross game Grid Pix. It's ace.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the Commodore was where I first learnt to program and what I did for my first job. I don’t really get to do much games programming these days and there’s no money in the App Store so I just decided to write something for a community which would appreciate what I do.

Millie and Molly is a really good game if you like puzzles games. Chun designed all the levels apart from my dev so it was like having a new game for me when I integrated them.

• Upvote 4

I'm guessing for a hobbyist the combination of hardware limitations and the amount of experience out there for the system by this point means it's "easier" to produce something credible looking too?

29 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm guessing for a hobbyist the combination of hardware limitations and the amount of experience out there for the system by this point means it's "easier" to produce something credible looking too?

There's certainly a very limited set of things you can do on the old machines but I'm not convinced it's easier to create something credible. If you know your way around the processes of making a a game some of the modern IDEs are almost drag and drop with little coding involved. And there are pretty much no concerns with memory or GPU power. Each has their benefits I guess. Doing C64 stuff makes you a big fish in a small pool I guess and the community are really involved.

• Upvote 1

that game looks great will be grabbing it to play on my real c64 :D

Just out of interest have you punted it to the retro sites dealing with new game releases. I know of

http://www.indieretronews.com/search/label/C64

But I am sure there are others where we can get this game a bit more exposure

EDIT - oh bloody hell juyst seen it on the main news site - if I do the c64 label it doesn't list the news though :D

It doesn't have the c64 "label" on the news so if you look at c64 articles it doesn't appear.

• Upvote 2

Looks as though he's used a full stop instead of comma after C64 so the tag is broken.

Some bloke live streamed it on Twitch the other day so it's getting some attention. In fact I've had more sales of this than anything I've released independently on the App Store.

• Upvote 6