rllmuk
RJ Badman

Your Unpopular Opinions

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I appreciate the sentiment and you may have a point, but Yakuza 1/Kiwami 1 is by far the weakest. That won't be anyone's favourite, even if it's your first imo. For example: me. I played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and then Zero - and yet Zero is my favourite.

Same. I played them in the order 1, 3, 4, Dead Souls, 5, Zero, Kiwami, 6, Kiwami 2. Zero’s my favourite. 

40 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

The Tomb Raider reboots are far better than any of the Uncharted’s.

You wouldn't have those reboots if it wasn't for uncharted though.

1 hour ago, Fused gamer said:

Battlefield 3 was better than 4.

I definitely preferred it, but playing on console I think it was the player count that was the real difference for me.

So my unpopular opinion would be that 64 players on a map is far too many.

• Upvote 2

The Temple of the Ocean King, the central dungeon from the DS Zelda game Phantom Hourglass which you return to time and again brought the adventure, is one of the best dungeons in the series. Using your expanded tools and knowledge to push further into the dungeon and exploit shortcuts was loads of fun.

Also the game's overworld puzzles which required jotting down notes and patterns on the map were great. I'd love more of that in a future Zelda. Breath of the Wild ought be perfect for it. Stuff like peering through some cracked, Goonies medallion until it aligns with the landscape. Yeah please.

• Upvote 6

Open worlds that prioritize the illusion of freedom (all accessible from the beginning/you kill like in any other game but there's multiple ways to do it) and independence (cooking in the wild) sacrifice the quality of their content and the effect of the exhausting journey that is the real immersive beauty of videogames. And are nothing more than tedious dull time sinks.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

I regret shaving my moustache off. I'll be back in a couple weeks to properly express how lacking in virility I found Yakuza 0.

Lots of shops sell false moustaches at this time of year. :sherlock:

55 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

For the true Wiper feeling you must don a panto cape and twirl a moustache when you enter the thread, and speak: "It's me everyone, with my unpopular opinions borne of my unique and critical mind. Doth my reputation precede me, doth it, doth it?" before you see some criminal has already gone full heresy on page 1 and claimed Mario Kart is crap; your whole identity now redundant in the face of such high-tier contrarian horror. 

Ridiculous; on entering a thread I am always dressed thus: 

Screenshot_20191124-173659_Brave.thumb.jpg.ae097647a11bcc33d41f4c26c227570d.jpg

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, Gorf King said:

The evidence supports an entirely different conclusion more straightforwardly: Yazuka Zero is your favourite Yakuza game simply because it's the best one. It was my third (or fourth?) played in the series, and it's by far my favourite. I don't know anyone, however many Yakuza games they'd played previously, who thinks otherwise. Believing it isn't objectively just the best game in the series would be the actual unpopular opinion. But then, most of these unpopular opinions aren't really unpopular ('I don't like looter shooters', 'I hate football', 'Shenmue is a bit of a crap game'), they're just like, your opinion man. Badging them as unpopular just seems like some of sort defence/karma-farming mechanism really.

Here's a proper unpopular opinion though. And I genuinely know it is because I've expressed it to lots of people who absolutely love the game and I don't think even a single one of them has ever agreed, even when they were loving the fucking thing to death (most of them initially laughed, perhaps thinking it meant ironically): Destiny is the greatest game ever made. And no, I don't mean it ironically. Reasons available on application but, boy, would they be lengthy, and basically, who cares why.

Destiny's the greatest game ever made. And it's still shit.

Out of genuine curiosity, would you extend this to Destiny 2? The two games feel like one & the same to me..

35 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Out of genuine curiosity, would you extend this to Destiny 2? The two games feel like one & the same to me..

Kind of but not quite. D2 contains some of the best Destiny ever, but also definitely the worst Destiny ever. During the most dismal depths of D2Y1 it was easy to distinguish it from D1, but following Forsaken (arguably the best era of either game) it felt a lot more like D1 but improved in many ways, and also tied more closely to it conceptually and narratively. And it's been all over the place since then, a lot like D1 was. So I find it really difficult to clearly separate them into two district titles now instead of a stop-start set of processes that (usually) circle around similar core considerations.

Hence Destiny being the greatest game ever made and also being shit at the same time. There's just too much in it, or potentially in it, for it to ever succeed 100%. It just covers too much ground and too many diverse and competing interests and subgenres for it to ever hang altogether perfectly. Each expansion, or season, it's just a question of what will be favoured this time at what else's expense. But the best things in it are the best things I've ever played, and in all sorts of different ways and for different reasons at different times.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

But the best things in it are the best things I've ever played, and in all sorts of different ways and for different reasons at different times.

The highlight of D2 is clearly us playing Gambit (prime, was it?), while I was smashed off my face on Old Fashioneds, singing BROS's seminal hit 'When will I be famous'. 

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Different type of unpopular here but... I loved Fallout 4.

I've played it for around 100 hrs.  Never really progressed the main quest - I've just been building and managing my settlements.  Giving up after a bit then returning to do the same. Find it relaxing. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The highlight of D2 is clearly us playing Gambit (prime, was it?), while I was smashed off my face on Old Fashioneds, singing BROS's seminal hit 'When will I be famous'. 

Well, it was Reckoning, but it didn't really matter since you weren't really aware of the game mode at the time or who was in the party with you or what we were doing or why, or what grenades or rifts or warlocks or guns were. The lung-busting Brosathon was pretty special, but the highlight was probably the shock in your voice at the revelation that the Welsh bloke you'd be playing with for a couple of hours wasn't the same person as the Irish bloke you'd been playing with during that time but with a faulty mic causing him to sound odd Welsh 'far away'; but that they were in fact two different people with independent characters in the game and, indeed, in real life, both of whom you'd known for a long time. Then when that had sunk in half an hour later, finally trying to talk to the Welsh bloke as a separate entity but only after he'd announced he was leaving the party and the game some twenty minutes earlier and had actually done so; and being as shocked at his absence as you had been earlier at his existence. There was ever a Vaderish Nnnooooooo when we told you he'd gone, as if you'd suffered some inconsolable loss. And then sweet oblivion claimed you, I guess.

But yeah, When Will I Be Famous was pretty good too. Because it was right at that moment, LeChuck. Right there and then, that's your legacy.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

If you don't resurrect that youtube channel at least annually just for the passion of games you're doing yourself a disservice. It was very good. 

Thanks, that means a lot! In fact, that's enough of a prompt; I'll whip something up before the end of the year.

• Upvote 6