rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3

I liked the start of 3 and it looked good for a PS1 game. I'm not sure it really went places, though. I recall it had you controlling some one other than Jill at some point. Some Latin American guy? Obviously made an impression.

• Upvote 1

I'd love a remake if code: veronica far more than nemesis, it's properly silly and the daft twist was actually quite good at the time. 

Also had that first incarnation I'd played of the mercenaries type thing, finishing that with wesker using only the knife is still up there on lifetime game achievements so I'd be interested to see if my old man reactions would just collapse if I tried now. 

13 hours ago, Clipper said:

Nope early 2000 for the PS1 release of RE3 in EU - CV on Dreamcast was mid-2000 a few months difference. I remember because there was debate amongst my friends at time whether to hold out for the "nextgen" CV and buy a DC or to complete the PS1 trilogy first. 

The consensus in the end was to complete the trilogy then wait for the PS2 CV release in 2001 holding fire on nextgen decision til PS2 appeared

Ah, yeah. My bad.

RE3 was Feb, CV was May. I guess the proximity to CV influenced my perception of RE3. It still felt last-gen going from playing Dreamcast games back to PS1.

3 is important for a number of reasons, it introduced Mercenaries for a start. The absence of any similar score attack mode in the Resi 2 remake meant I was done with it pretty quickly. In contrast Resi Revelations 2 is my most played game of this generation simply because of my addiction to Raid Mode. 3 was also he first one way more gun fetish focussed, a trait which would be raped up with each subsequent episode until 7.

3 also tried out a rather nifty dodge move that I think also made an appearance in Code Veronica only to disappear without trace.

Cover art has leaked then! It's definitely coming.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-03-resident-evil-3-remake-cover-art-leaks-ahead-of-official-announcement

I only played it once and my overriding memory was I enjoyed it but felt anxious the whole time about the arrival of Nemesis. With how that was handled using Mr. X in the recent 2 remake this is going to be incredibly tense.

• Upvote 4

The angle on that last one makes Nemesis look like a startled rabbit.

I'm well up for this, and it's reminded me I need to play my DC copy of RE3. I was binging on the series a few months ago, playing through Deadly Silence (an astonishing remake, btw) multiple times before moving onto RE2 (PS1) and doing the same. I was a bit too burnt out to leap straight into RE3 and CV at the time, but I really want to do it soon, since they're the two main-series entries I haven't played through. My memory is terrible - most of Leon B felt new to me - so it's been really nice to (re-)discover that the writing in these games is surprisingly good, or at least better than I would have expected, and that they're genuinely really effective at doing horror. 

4 hours ago, df0 said:

How does he smell?

Throughout those immense teeth? :P

Anyway I do not remember the nose, it humanizes the Nemesis and I do not think it is an appropriate way of depicting the Terror himself.

Mind you, we won’t have that much time to keep staring at its nose btw...

spacer.png

Jill looks incredible. Capcom are on fire. I'm weirdly more hyped for this after RE2, because RE2make was approx 40% perfection, 40% missing route B content, and 20% new stuff that wasn't as good as the original.. whereas the original RE3 I could not care less about, they can play jazz with it all they want.

So... RE8 after this, then what do we think comes next...

RE-REmake?

RE4make?

RECVmake?

RE0make?

Obviously with the switch to third person for RE2make and 3. They should commit blasphemy and remake 4 as a traditional fixed camera angle rendered backdrop game.

• Upvote 2

I can't remember much about the original...but did you get some kind of weird noise/signal that Mr Handsome was about to jump out of nowhere and absolutey scare actual shit out of your anus? Or was it a complete surprise?

Asking for a friend.

I'm currently balls-deep into my first play-through of ReMake, and just got Re2Make on sale with a view to tanning it right after. So this coming out soon would be cracking.

BTW the original PS1 versions are still great and the remakes don't render them obsolete in the slightest. They have an atmosphere that quite simply can't be touched.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Das said:

I can't remember much about the original...but did you get some kind of weird noise/signal that Mr Handsome was about to jump out of nowhere and absolutey scare actual shit out of your anus? Or was it a complete surprise?

Asking for a friend.

Generally you’d hear a door and he’d growl ‘Starrrrrzzz’

• Upvote 2

By my calculation it was about three and a half years between announcement and release of Resident Evil 2 (2019). We haven’t quite had the announcement, since this is a leak, but the engine and much of the map and assets are already built, so I’d guess a year and a half from now, plus slippage, so September 2021? Sounds reasonable. 

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

By my calculation it was about three and a half years between announcement and release of Resident Evil 2 (2019). We haven’t quite had the announcement, since this is a leak, but the engine and much of the map and assets are already built, so I’d guess a year and a half from now, plus slippage, so September 2021? Sounds reasonable. 

I'm sure I read the unannounced Capcom games they're about to reveal will launch in 2020. I think RE3 was well underway when RE2 launched. Optimistically I think it'll drop Spring or Autumn. That we already have box art points to this. I'd put money on April.

23 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Generally you’d hear a door and he’d growl ‘Starrrrrzzz’

I like the idea that he still uses doors gracefully and fully as intended.

• Upvote 2