rllmuk
mansizerooster

Resident Evil 3

Looks like a Resident Evil 3 remake is on the way

I've had a strange relationship with this one. I got the first two Resi's when they came out on PS1, and absolutely rinsed them multiple times. I know them both inside out.

For some reason, I never picked up Resi 3, and only played it for the first time about a year ago. It was so strange to play an old-school Resi that I was unfamiliar with. I don't know if it's the nostalgia talking, but I just wasn't as taken with 3 as I was with the first two. Still a good game, mind.

• Upvote 2

Nemesis was basically Mr X - The Game. 

It makes sense, and will appease those who missed the (lack of) city sections in 2.

If this follows the same blue print it will take the pant wettery of the Resi 2 remake, and upgrade it to pant shittery. 

• Upvote 1

Given how they ramped up Mr X to near Nemesis levels in the last remake, I can’t imagine how they could provide the same kind of threat leap without it being nigh on impossible. The difference between an X Tyrant and Nemesis is akin to that of a normal zombie and one of those Crimson Head superbastards, a fleshy bag of horror and murder coming at you at 100mph except oh, it’s got a rocket launcher too.

Done correctly, it would make Alan from Isolation look chill and reasonable in comparison.

• Upvote 3

Yeah i always loved RE3. I found it a bit easier/shorter than most others though so I wonder how they go about this considering at least with RE2 they had the leon/claire storys to play through.

My understanding is that Resi 3 was originally meant to be a smaller companion piece to Resi 2, and Code Veronica was meant to be the true sequel to the core franchise. Some business tomfoolery between Sony, Capcom and Sega however meant that The PS game became the core title and the Dreamcast game became a sideline. It's clear which one has more development effort put behind it.

• Upvote 2

Resi 2 was always the best of the PS1 games, but I actually ended up playing Resi 3 more. I think because it was a single playthrough and quite short it lent itself more to replays. Good to see it being redone anyway.

Fantastic news, although not unexpected given the success of the second game. Nemesis will be terrifying I’m sure. Even with FF7 and Cyberpunk this is now my most wanted game next year! 

8 hours ago, jimmbob said:

image.png.52aea77dd58c3f6cc52c6121c7c5c405.png

No offence Jill Valentine but you’re life is technically not worth insuring.

I’m in day one for this, if true. 2 was a masterclass in nostalgia and game design and balls to the wall fun. I’d play Chris Redfield Goes Shopping at Tesco’ in that game engine, it’s a joy to play. 

• Upvote 4

Resi 3 was more of a glorified expansion which is why it was generally considered a bit of a step down. Good game though, but one of those things where a remake could be a big improvement. 

I’m positive everyone who played CV at the time on the original Dreamcast loved it. I certainly did. This narrative that it was somehow always kinda shite is a recent retcon for me.

That said, it’s no doubt one of the campiest entries in the series, and the tone of recent 7 and REmake 2 would make for a strange juxtaposition with that storyline. It’d be weird as fuck and I’d love to see it.

• Upvote 2

IIRC Resi 3 launched after CV in the UK/EU. 

At the time CV was on a next-gen machine, made the jump to 3D,  and continued the plot from the first two games directly. So Resi 3 was regarded as a last-gen b-side effort.

I don’t know off hand if the release schedule was different in other territories but it seems like Nemesis was well-regarded elsewhere whilst CV is now considered the outlier in terms of tone and plotting.

I thought the game was pretty mediocre outside of Nemesis’ design and I prefered CV & 0. None of these games are as good as the first two, so stand to benefit greatly from a remake.

Remember the weird branching narrative/QTE sequences of the original? They weren’t particularly substantial but it had about five of them IIRC, which leaned into the whole shorter/more replay-able vibe of RE3. It’s funny, I probably finished it far more times than RE2 but barley remember it by comparison. It’s much more of a blank slate for reimagining, the locations and your route through them are a lot less iconic. 

9 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Are you suggesting that CV lesser than 5 or 6?

To be honest I forgot all about 5 & 6.  I'll await CV remake and revisit that question.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

IIRC Resi 3 launched after CV in the UK/EU. 

At the time CV was on a next-gen machine, made the jump to 3D,  and continued the plot from the first two games directly. So Resi 3 was regarded as a last-gen b-side effort.

I don’t know off hand if the release schedule was different in other territories but it seems like Nemesis was well-regarded elsewhere whilst CV is now considered the outlier in terms of tone and plotting.

I thought the game was pretty mediocre outside of Nemesis’ design and I prefered CV & 0. None of these games are as good as the first two, so stand to benefit greatly from a remake.

Nope early 2000 for the PS1 release of RE3 in EU - CV on Dreamcast was mid-2000 a few months difference. I remember because there was debate amongst my friends at time whether to hold out for the "nextgen" CV and buy a DC or to complete the PS1 trilogy first. 

The consensus in the end was to complete the trilogy then wait for the PS2 CV release in 2001 holding fire on nextgen decision til PS2 appeared

• Upvote 2