Resident Evil 3 remake (no spoilers please!)

Jill is so awesome in this, she’s already done a zombie adventure and she isn’t even slightly phased. The frequency with which she says she’ll be ok when facing down giant monsters is amazing, and I really love the line “bitch can’t even swim”, I think it’s the funniest thing in the game. 

11 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Her model reminds me a lot of Natalie Portman

8251775C-B2D5-4DEB-B4A0-94CEEA121FB3.thumb.jpeg.a5e05a8671e5966c3e3b1fcc66232213.jpeg

52A0DA9C-A0E0-4C91-A7CE-E25788C8171D.jpeg.3e2ce0eaa3903eba1d4e2404ed3d5a68.jpeg

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Jill is so awesome in this, she’s already done a zombie adventure and she isn’t even slightly phased. The frequency with which she says she’ll be ok when facing down giant monsters is amazing, and I really love the line “bitch can’t even swim”, I think it’s the funniest thing in the game. 

8251775C-B2D5-4DEB-B4A0-94CEEA121FB3.thumb.jpeg.a5e05a8671e5966c3e3b1fcc66232213.jpeg

Natalie-Portman.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I played this for the first time over Xmas after seeing the love for it on this thread, only ever played RE4 back on the GameCube.  Absolutely loved the 8 or 9 hours it took to complete and will go back again. For £16 in the sale its a bargain, Just bought RESI 2 remake now, shame i'm going backwards in the series!

Yeah I just finished this and really enjoyed the overlap of events between 2 and 3, first run through was 7-8 ish hours. Flying through my second playthrough just on Standard again after buying the:

Spoiler

Samurai Edge

Thinking of sticking with that rather than prioritising the Shotgun (to a point)

The missus and me were obsessed with RE2 for months in 2019. RE3 hasn't had nearly as much attention but I thinks that's more to do with discovering the Souls games. We've both put hundreds of hours into Dark Souls 2.

They're both great remakes although RE2 just edges it.

I bought this after really liking RE2 remake, and I went in expecting a really inferior game. All I knew was that it would be short and not as good as RE2.

Firstly, I didn't think it was too short at all. Most games are too long these days. I'd rather play a game which shines short and bright rather than a long one with dull sections. For the 9 hours it took me I wasn't close to being bored once.

On the other point, I actually think RE2 was a little overrated. Everything involving the tyrant was fantastically intense and brilliant, and overall the game was more challenging, but I thought it had quite a few shit parts including the entire Ada section and most of the boss battles. It also had a bit too much backtracking for my liking. I really enjoyed the boss battles in RE3, and I liked how lean it is with its environments, with minimal backtracking. I'm not saying it's a better game, but I enjoyed it more for sure.

The more I think about the game, the more positive I am about it. It was a thrill opening the shop on completion and seeing everything there. I've read that the higher difficulties mix things up as well so I'm very keen to get back into it.

As a side note Jill was a brilliant protagonist.

Also also, this ran like a dream on Series S.

I am just on the final section of this and after coming from 60 hours of days gone this is a brilliant slice of pure Resident Evil fun. There is a lot of talk this was more designed for multiple play throughs but with the exception of upping the difficulty I can't see why? 

Ah should have finished reading @Timmo post. 

Spoiler

If you know where to go and you play the quickest route, Resi3 is actually a little longer than Resi2.  Resi3 seems short because there is almost no backtracking and fewer puzzles. For all my complaints about the dynamic difficulty ruining the bosses on inferno, Resi3 is an amazing game and the length is great for speedrunning .

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

If you know where to go and you play the quickest route, Resi3 is actually a little longer than Resi2.  Resi3 seems short because there is almost no backtracking and fewer puzzles. For all my complaints about the dynamic difficulty ruining the bosses on inferno, Resi3 is an amazing game and the length is great for speedrunning .

This raises something interesting, for me.

If the game had less difficulty settings, and didn't encourage replays, would it be better? The 9 hours I spent with it were among the most entertained I've been in the last few years, would it better if I just left it there?

I can count on one hand how many games I've finished and which left me wanting more, and I look at those games fondly.

37 minutes ago, Timmo said:

This raises something interesting, for me.

If the game had less difficulty settings, and didn't encourage replays, would it be better? The 9 hours I spent with it were among the most entertained I've been in the last few years, would it better if I just left it there?

I can count on one hand how many games I've finished and which left me wanting more, and I look at those games fondly.

Well I really enjoyed Remake of 3, but the unlock of bonus items requires repeat play and if you buy all the cheaper items first you then need to complete the higher difficulty levels to obtain the rocket launcher.

Trouble is, the bosses at the end of nightmare and inferno are crazy difficult, and I ended up wiping my save and starting over, getting the rocket launcher asap and then buying the other items.  

But for me, the main game is outstanding.  It's long enough to be a good experience the first couple of times, then it becomes a 1 hour playthrough speed run challenge. So I found the harder difficulties and bonus items introduced criticism that wouldn't be an issue if there was less content. Less is more! It's a fantastic experience as a single player game on standard difficulty, and the unlocks and dynamic difficulty spoil it a little.

17 hours ago, Timmo said:

I bought this after really liking RE2 remake, and I went in expecting a really inferior game. All I knew was that it would be short and not as good as RE2.

Firstly, I didn't think it was too short at all. Most games are too long these days. I'd rather play a game which shines short and bright rather than a long one with dull sections. For the 9 hours it took me I wasn't close to being bored once.

On the other point, I actually think RE2 was a little overrated. Everything involving the tyrant was fantastically intense and brilliant, and overall the game was more challenging, but I thought it had quite a few shit parts including the entire Ada section and most of the boss battles. It also had a bit too much backtracking for my liking. I really enjoyed the boss battles in RE3, and I liked how lean it is with its environments, with minimal backtracking. I'm not saying it's a better game, but I enjoyed it more for sure.

The more I think about the game, the more positive I am about it. It was a thrill opening the shop on completion and seeing everything there. I've read that the higher difficulties mix things up as well so I'm very keen to get back into it.

As a side note Jill was a brilliant protagonist.

Also also, this ran like a dream on Series S.

I fully agree that modern games are often too long...i just dont have the time and and open world games i forget where i'm going after a week of not playing. Loved the fact this was intense, but felt i was always progressing. Hoping RE2 is simialr!

Shop progress going well :)

Spoiler

Just finished the hospital section on my second playthrough, still on Normal.

Samurai Edge is a great addition.

Just bought both of the Assault Coins...which makes the Samurai Edge a bit of a beast.

Think a hip pouch will be next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over this past week I have blasted through both Resi 2 and 3 remakes as they were on sale. Loved 2, was thirsty for more, so snapped up 3. I think 3 actually entertained me more than 2 even if it loses tension somewhat in exchange for action. It's actually a bit longer than 2 as well, so I'm not really sure where all the negative press was coming from. Sure, it would have seemed expensive at full price, but so is watching three superhero movies at the cinema.

6 hours ago, Benny said:

Over this past week I have blasted through both Resi 2 and 3 remakes as they were on sale. Loved 2, was thirsty for more, so snapped up 3. I think 3 actually entertained me more than 2 even if it loses tension somewhat in exchange for action. It's actually a bit longer than 2 as well, so I'm not really sure where all the negative press was coming from. Sure, it would have seemed expensive at full price, but so is watching three superhero movies at the cinema.

I think it's longer in terms of level size, but slightly shorter in terms of time taken to complete on average, due to there being very little backtracking.

The main difference is there only being one scenario, but I'm playing through Claire's RE2 run-through at the moment and although it's excellent it's much more similar to Leon's than I would like.

I think the main issue people had with RE3 were that Nemesis was much less used than expected, especially compared to the amazing cat and mouse sections in RE2. Personally I think it would have been too much to have more of him, though.

Another raised issue is the lack of Mercenaries and the terrible multiplayer game included.

Finally, I hear the top two difficulties have balancing issues in the bosses, with very cheap deaths. I haven't got there yet.

It's a decent Resi game, its just that it brings nothing new to the table since 2 Remake. The level design is also really poor compared to 2 (streets aside). But its the fact they utterly failed at the games USP, Nemesis that is the major bugbear. It's an absolute bloody travesty especially when the previous game showed how scary and game changing the tyrant can be. Nemesis is scary for about 2 seconds in the street and then becomes little more than a set of interactive cutscenes and crap boss battles. Gone are the tense chases from the original, the sense of danger, the panic whenever he showed up. They even mutated his character over time to make him less scary in this one!

Take out Nemesis and you have a very bog standard resi game with no memorable levels and poorly designed, very linear ones at that. I was planning to replay the game just to try on Very Hard but I just couldn't be arsed trudging back through it. The streets at the start are the only really part which come close to Resi 2 Remake's quality in my opinion. The redeeming factors are Jill and the graphics.

I think the Nemesis sections are the weakest parts of 3.  He is not scary, just annoying. You know you can't kill him and sometimes , especially in higher difficulty levels, he can literally block your way and kill you in ways you can't avoid. The appearance of Nemesis means a scripted section is coming.  In the PS1 game it was very different and much better.

I prefer Resi3 remake to Resi2 remake though.  Part 2 has more puzzles, more backtracking and feels more Resident Evil.  3 is more action based. Resi3 feels more like Resi6, where Resi2 feels more like Resi2 which is the point.  The main criticism I have with 3 is that the online game is rubbish and the main game is basically the same engine and many of the same assets.  It seemed cheeky to charge full price for 3, especially as 2 launched cheaper.  But I think I am alone in liking Resi6 for its ludicrous action sequences and short gameplay time.  But it works well as a quick blast and Resi3 is a game that, whenever I play it I complete it in that one session. It works well like that.

I love Resi 2 Remake, I really do, but on the fourth run I realise all the bits that aren't the Police station just aren't as good, that Police station is an absolute masterpiece.

Still having a load of fun with 3, nearing the end of my second playthrough on Normal. Shop progress:

Spoiler

Samurai Edge
Both Damage Coins
Both Hip Pouches (see you next playthrough!)
Infinite MUP - This is where it gets great because I no longer need the knife, samurai edge of any bullets in the inventory :)

Think I'll be heading for the Infinite CQBR next but any recommendations are welcome!

Even if all the bits that aren't the police station in Resi 2 aren't masterpieces, none of the sections in Resi 3 are masterpieces. A year later I remember the hospital, the streets and an absolutely terrible sewer part where some crap big slow enemies just kind of exist while posing no threat. I can't even remember the final location which is generic even by Resi 'all final levels must be a nondescript lab' standards. 

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

'all final levels must be a nondescript lab' standards. 

I was thinking the exact same thing today!

And yes I completely agree with the areas of 3, if 3 didn't have the unlockables I would not have bothered playing again, but with it I feel it becomes a very enjoyable Resi themed ghost train :)

I picked it up for £16 and am having fun with it. Really enjoying the forward momentum it has and the lack of fat. I imagine I’d think different if I paid full price though, but I knew that at the time from reviews so held out.

Why in God’s name do they fuck around with all these shite multiplayer games and not just give us a RE engine Mercenaries mode though? JEEZ.

• 4 weeks later...

It's weird that Capcom still denies that RE3 wasn't going to be a numbered mainline RE game. Mikami himself pretty much admits that RE3 was going to be a side-story game whereas Code Veronica really was supposed to be RE3 - and admits RE3s inferiority to CV.

@19:50 

I enjoyed the game but I found it rather forgettable, its been about two months since finishing it and I cant really think of any parts of it that are truly memorable. My main problems with the game is how much had been cut from the original and what they did with Nemesis, which was especially weird considering Mr X in 2 remake. In fact I’ve found both 2 and 3 remakes to be disappointing and in some ways are step back from the originals. Resi 1 remake is still by far the best one.