rllmuk
Ork1927

RLLMUK's Films of the 90's - 1990 to 1994: 1990 Results in

3 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

16 participants so far.

A couple of bits of house keeping that I've currently noticed.

@kerraig UK - you need to make a call on your third pick for 1991

@SeanR Army of Darkness is 92 not 93 - could you adjust accordingly

Jacobs man

1. Goodfellas

2. Total Recall

3. Tremors

1. The Silence of the Lambs

2. The Last Boy Scout

3. Point Break

1. Unforgiven

2. Reservoir Dogs

3. Army of Darkness

1. Groundhog Day 

2. Last Action Hero

3. Jurassic Park

1. Leon

2. Pulp Fiction 

3. The Shawshank Redemption

• Upvote 2

1. Miller's Crossing

2. Goodfellas

3. Tremors

1. Barton Fink

2. JFK

3. Terminator 2

1. Unforgiven

2. Glengarry Glen Ross

3. Reservoir Dogs

1. Groundhog Day

2. True Romance

3. Iron Monkey 

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Quiz Show

3. Ed Wood

Edited by Couch Corpse

1. Goodfellas

2. Edward Scissorhands

3. Home Alone

1. Thelma and Louise 

2. Boyz n the Hood

3. The Addams Family

1. Glengarry Glen Ross

2. Death Becomes Her

3. Honey I Blew Up the Kids

1. Jurassic Park

2. Mrs Doubtfire

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

1. Pulp Fiction

2. The Lion King

3. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 

14 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

94 was a killer year.

You’ve got to choose though ;-)

19 participants so far - deadline is Sunday night.

• Upvote 2

1. Back to the Future Part III
2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Goodfellas

Spoiler

4. The Hunt for Red October
5. Miller's Crossing

• BTTF3 - This was the first BTTF film I saw in full, and for several years as kid it was my favourite of the trilogy. It's no longer my favourite of the trilogy, but it's still better than almost any other time travel adventure.
  • Edward Scissorhands - Burton's best? It's either this, or the 1994 one with the soundalike title.
  • The Hunt For Red October - I like Adam Hughes' description of this as a great example of hard science fiction: https://qntm.org/october
  • Miller's Crossing - I enjoyed this, but I can't put it in my top 3 because I confess it never clicked with me anywhere near as much as most of the Coen Brothers' other films.

1. Barton Fink
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
3. JFK

Spoiler

4. Beauty and the Beast
5. The Silence of the Lambs
6. The Fisher King
7. Only Yesterday
8. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
9. The Rocketeer
10. The Commitments

• Barton Fink - One of the first Coen Bros films I saw, and still one of my favourites. (My absolute favourite - the very first one I saw - is still to come in the second half of the decade...)
  • Terminator 2 - No fate. Come with me if you want to live. I know now why you cry. A mimetic polyalloy. Hasta la vista, baby. 
  • JFK - Regardless of whether or not the conspiracy theory outlined by Oliver Stone is complete nonsense (it probably is), the outstanding filmmaking craft always makes it seem plausible. It draws you in and feel as if you're constantly being let in on amazing revelations throughout its running time.
  • Beauty and the Beast - This was one of the Disney films I missed as a child, so unlike Aladdin and The Lion King, it doesn't benefit from any nostalgic associations. But seeing it for the first time as an adult, I realised that it's probably the best animated feature of the entire Disney Renaissance period.

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Porco Rosso
3. Aladdin

Spoiler

4. Hard-Boiled
5. Batman Returns
6. Unforgiven
7. My Cousin Vinny
8. The Muppet Christmas Carol

• Porco Rosso - Some of the best flying sequences of any Ghibli film (which is saying a lot).
  • Aladdin - Seems strange putting this in 1992 - I expect that for most of us on this forum, this was a 1993 film, wasn't it? I can never really decide whether I prefer this or The Lion King.
  • Hard-Boiled - An action classic that only falls just outside my top 3 because, outside of that phenomenal unbroken long take hospital shootout, I don't think it's as consistently excellent as The Killer.
  • Batman Returns - I've never really loved Burton's first Batman, but it's sequel was one of my most-rewatched films as a kid. Ignore the plot; this is all about the aesthetics.

1. The Wrong Trousers
2. Groundhog Day
3. The Fugitive

Spoiler

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
5. Addams Family Values
6. Dazed and Confused
7. Jurassic Park

• The Wrong Trousers - Perfect.
  • The Fugitive - It's just a high concept, executed really well. That's all, nothing more! It sounds so easy - why don't more films manage to pull off that trick? Maybe that's not as straightforward to achieve as it sounds...
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas - It's a good thing that the fact Henry Selick directed this, not Tim Burton, has received more attention since Laika came to prominence (I remember Neil Gaiman emphasising it while he was on the promotional circuit for Coraline). But I think feel people have started to go too far in overcorrecting that misconception, as Burton's contributions to the film's story and character designs were vital, and shouldn't be diminished.
  • Addams Family Values - Far better than the first film. Wednesday's summer camp Thanksgiving is one of the most glorious sequences of rebellious triumph ever put on film. (Seriously.) The podcast Cinematic Universe recently did a Hallowe'en episode discussing the two Addams Family films (plus the pinball table!), and I highly recommend listening to it to remind yourself of how good Addams Family Values is.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Speed
3. Ed Wood

Spoiler

4. Léon
5. Drunken Master 2/The Legend of Drunken Master
6. The Lion King
7. The Hudsucker Proxy
8. Hoop Dreams

• Pulp Fiction - For me most of the appeal comes from how endlessly fascinating its structure is: every time I see it I'm impressed by how intricately connected all the details are. (The quotable black comedy contributes a lot too, of course.)
  • Speed - Let's play a game of Spot The Bits Joss Whedon Wrote! My favourite is when the tourist guy, relaying Keanu's words over the phone, begins rephrasing lines into movie-expert language ("that's your classic decoy"), and then finally translates "fuck me!" into "oh darn".
  • Ed Wood - I really need to rewatch this, as I know I really enjoyed it but don't remember many of the specifics apart from the scene with Vincent D'Onofrio AND Maurice LaMarche as Orson Welles. (A scene kinda similar to the bit in Almost Famous where Lester Bangs gives the main character advice on his craft, come to think of it...)
  • Upvote 2

I feel like I must be one of the few people that found Groundhog just very annoying, and wasn’t that into Silence of the Lambs.

Mind you it’s a tricky era for me as most films were watched as a kid (the number of kids films being evident of that) or retrospectively.

That was pretty tough. Some great years for films in the early 90's.

1. Millers Crossing

2. Goodfellas

3. Wild At Heart

1.Silence of The Lambs

2. Boyz in the Hood

3.Terminator 2

1.Reservoir Dogs

2.The Crying Game

3. Unforgiven

1.Jurassic Park

2.True Romance

3.In the Name of The Father

1.Pulp Fiction

2.Ace Ventura

3.Clerks

• Upvote 1

Better do mine - up to 22.

1. Goodfellas

2. Tremors

3. Back to the Future 3

1. The Last boy scout

2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

3. JFK

1. Midnight Sting

2. A Few Good Men

3. Deep Cover

1. Groundhog Day

2. Schindlers List

3. In the Name of the Father

Arghhh - True Romance, Jurassic Park, Demolition Man

1. The Shawshank Redemption

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Leon

Anymore interested - be good to get it around the 30 mark like the 2001 to 2010 polls.

Deadline is midnight tomorrow (Sunday).

Third place for every year is very, very close. Plenty of second places up for grabs and at least 1 first place is close (although the others have a clear leader at the moment).

This was painful.  The 2000s set it was a struggle to get up to three films I cared about.  This time there’s so many films every year I care about that it’s hard to pick three - all time classics, films I loved then, films I love now, films I know aren’t quite as good as others but I’ve watched repeatedly over the years.

1. Goodfellas

2. Miller’s Crossing

3. Total Recall

1. Terminator 2

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. Star Trek VI

1. The Last of the Mohicans

2. Reservoir Dogs

3. Aladdin

1. Schindler's List

2. Jurassic Park

3. The Wrong Trousers

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Shallow Grave

3. Leon

1. Edward Scissorhands

2. Total Recall

3. Goodfellas

1. Terminator 2

2. Operation Condor

3. Point Break

1. Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer

2. Glengarry Glen Ross

3. Batman Returns

1. Jurassic Park

2. The Wrong Trousers

3. Remains of The Day

2. Leon

3. True Lies

On 29/11/2019 at 23:27, Ork1927 said:

Better do mine - up to 22.

1. Goodfellas

2. Tremors

3. Back to the Future 3

1. The Last boy scout

2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

3. JFK

1. Midnight Sting

2. A Few Good Men

3. Deep Cover

1. Groundhog Day

2. Schindlers List

3. In the Name of the Father

Arghhh - True Romance, Jurassic Park, Demolition Man

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Leon

Totally feeling your 1992 jam my man!

3 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

1990 Results

24 participants and I've got some material from when I last attempted this poll so quick return on results for 1990.

1. Ghost                          $505,702,588

2. Home Alone               $476,684,675

3. Pretty Woman            $463,406,268

4. Dances with Wolves $424,208,848

5. Total Recall                 $261,317,921

Oscar Best Picture: Dances With Wolves

BAFTA Best Picture: Goodfellas

Two massive, massive romantic films in the top 5 at the box office with dead Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore making pots in Ghost (with Whoppi Goldberg wining all the Best Supporting Actress awards) and Julia Roberts and Richard Gere making money in Pretty Women which won Roberts a Golden Globe. The latter was originally a much darker tale of prostitution, but director Garry Marshall decided on set to turn it into a comedy which paid off. Roberts would also appear alongside Keifer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon in Flatliners while Gere was directed by Mike Figgis in Internal Affairs.

4th at the box office was Kevin Costner directing, starring and winning Best Director and Best Picture at the Oscars (and Golden Globes) with his epic Western, Dances with Wolves. Harrison Ford was Presumed Innocent in the 8th biggest film of the year. 1989 gave us Bat-mania while 1990 gave us Turtle-mania as 5th biggest film as the box office (and 9th worldwide) is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which seemed to be one of the first films that everyone had on pirate (I remember watching it on VHS at the same time my brother was at the cinema watching it). 10th was Arnie doing comedy in Kindergarten Cop.

Gérard Depardieu had a hit with Andie Macdowell in Peter Weir’s Green Card which won him a Golden Globe and starred in Cyrano de Bergerac. John McTiernan directs an adaptation of Tom Clancy's The Hunt For Red October a fine submarine thriller with Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin.

So many sequels (not including three that were nominated) - Jack Nicholson directed and starred in Chinatown sequel, The Two Jakes. Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte re-teamed for Another 48 Hrs; Keifer Sutherland and Emilio Estevez were Young Guns 2.  Chucky is back in Childs Play 2; whilst it has a three in the title it’s a sequel as Guttenburg, Seleck & Danson return  with Three Men and a Little Lady. We had the Never Ending Story Two and more talking bloody babies in Looks Who’s Talking Too. In horror there was Bride of Re-Animator; Troll 2 and Night of the Living Dead and a threequel with Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. By far the worst of the franchise was the terrible Rocky 5 and finally the very disappointing conclusion to the Godfather trilogy with Al Pacino returning in Godfather 3 with no Robert Duvall and a terrible bit of nepotism as director Francis Ford Coppola casts his daughter Sofia who is not up to the task.

A Box office bomb that was also ripped apart by the critics was Brian De Palma’s book adaptation Bonfire of the Vanities with Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks and Melanie Griffiths. With a DC superhero killing it at the box office the previous year, Marvel didn’t enjoy the same success with Captain America which managed to not get a cinema release in the U.S at all due to being so rubbish and was only released for a very limited run in the U K at the end of the year. Its total gross was £10,000 against its $10,000,000 budget. Quite a difference to 21 years later when the First Avenger would gross $370,000,000 worldwide and that was just the start.

Stephen Seagal was Marked for Death, but proved to be Hard to Kill. Charlie Sheen appeared with his brother in Men at Work; in Navy S.E.A.L.S and with Clint Eastwood in The Rookie. Eastwood directed the latter film as well as directing and starring in White Hunter, Black Heart. Anjelica Huston, Annette Bening and John Cusack were The Grifters. Michael Keaton terrorised Melanie Griffiths and Matthew Modine in Pacific Heights. Anthony Minghella directed Truly, Madly, Deeply starring Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson while Peter Bogdanovich served up Texasville with Jeff Bridges and Cybil Shepherd. Spike Lee served up Mo’ Better Blues with Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes and an early role for Samuel L. Jackson.  Luc Beeson directed La Femme Nikita.

De Niro’s other films of 1990 were Stanley & Iris and Penny Marshall’s Awakenings with Robin Williams and who also starred with Tim Robbins in Cadillac Man. Steve Martin and Rick Moranis teamed up for My Blue Heaven. Mel Gibson was Hamlet and also starred with Goldie Hawn in Bird on a Wire while Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan gave us Joe vs The Volcano; Geena Davis and Bill Murray were in Quick Change and Robbie Coltrane and Eric Idle were Nuns on the Run. John Ritter has to deal with a Problem Child. Bob Hoskins and Cher were in Mermaids. 

Fred Ward and Uma Thurman were Henry and June and Spandau Ballett were The Krays. Tom Cruise got to meet future wife Nicole Kidman as they filmed Days of Thunder which failed to be Top Gun with cars that Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer hoped it would be and a rare misfire from Tony Scott. Mike Nichols directs Meryl Streep & Shirley MacLaine in the well-received adaptation of Carrie Fishers semi-autobiographical book (she also wrote the screenplay) Postcards from the Edge. Frank Henenlotter’s directs comedy horror Frankenhooker which boasts the tagline of “A terrifying tale of sluts and bolts”.

Sam Raimi makes his first foray into the superhero genre with Liam Neeson taking on the role of Darkman. Whit Stillman directs a tale of upper-class New Yorkers in Metropolitan. Allan Moyle directs Christian Slater in pirate radio comedy Pump Up The Volume.. Frank Marshall debuts by directing Jeff Daniels and John Goodman, in what, for some unlucky people is probably the scariest film ever made, a great horror comedy in Arachnophobia. Warren Beatty’s big budget and bonkers Dick Tracey which the director also starred in alongside Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and Madonna.

William Peter Blatty directs an adaptation of his novel Legion into The Exorcist 3 starring George C. Scott. Michael Caton-Jones directs World 2 bomber tale Memphis Belle with Matthew Modine and Eric Stolz. Nicolas Roeg directs a terrifying Anjelica Huston in a great adaptation of Roald Dahl's The Witches with the help of some Jim Henson magic.

1 Point

Jon Waters directs Johnny Depp in musical comedy, Cry Baby.

Gremlins 2 as Joe Dante returns in the directors chair and on-screen Zach Galligan, Phoebe Gates and Gizmo return to fight mutated Gremlins and Christopher Lee in New York. Not a patch on the original, but not without its anarchic charm and I think the 2nd 12 rated film in the UK.

Zhang Yimou and Yang Fengliang direct Chinese drama Ju Dou, the first Chinese film to be nominated for an Oscar.

Abel Ferrara directs Christopher Walken in messed up crime thriller, King of New York.

And Rob Reiner’s sensational run of unbroken directing run of very good to great films finishes off with our first of three quality 90’s Stephen King adaptations in Misery. William Goldman collaborated with Reiner again to write the script. James Caan made a come back as a leading actor after working very little in the eighties, but the film is most well known for little known actress at the time, Kathy Bates as the films frightening antagonist that won her the Best Actress Oscar.

Renny Harlin directs Andrew Dice Clay as a rock and roll detective in The Adventures of Ford Fairline.

Aki Kaurismäki directs Finnish drama, The Match Factory Girl about a young women in 80’s Finland.

2 Points

Die Hard in an airport as John McClane returns in Die Hard 2: Die Harder which couldn’t possibly live up to the original, but is a  very decent action sequel.

Akira Kurosawa writes and directs his own Dreams in this series of eight vignettes.

John Hughes writes an excellent comedy tale of child neglect and torture in Home Alone which made a fortune at the box office, turned Maculuey Culkin into a star alongside the nicer of Joe Pesci’s 1990 criminals.

Wong Kar-wai directs Hong Kong drama, Days of Being Wild.

A sort of Lethal Weapon re-union as Danny Glover and Gary Busey star in Predator 2 as another alien hunter turns up in LA

Irvin Kershner directs a returning Paul Weller and Nancy Allen in Robocop 2.

Hal Hartley directs Adrienne Shelly and Martin Donovan in dark comedy, Trust

3 Points

Iranian film Close-Up; written and directed by Abbas Kiarostami it recreates the real life events of a con man posing as a film-maker.

4 points

Adrian Lyne directs mind bending, post-vietnam horror/thriller, Jacob's Ladder with Tim Robbins in his first dramatic lead role in a film having previously been known for mainly comedy roles starring opposite Elizabeth Pena.

6 Points

Nicholas Cage goes full Nicholas Cage alongside Laura Dern in David Lynch’s Wild at Heart.

7 Points

Marty and Doc AKA Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd head to the Wild West in 1885 in Back To The Future 3. Probably better than the second film and a fun and satisfying ending to Robert Zemeckis's brilliant trilogy.

8 Points

Tremors is the brilliant horror/comedy/giant sandworm movie directed by Tim Underwood as Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward try to survive an attack on their small town from some pesky graboids. A film that did very little at the box office, but found a home on VHS to become popular.

11 Points

Tim Burton decided to follow up Batman with Edward Scissorhands – reteaming with Winnona Rider (after Beetlejuice) and beginning his career long collaboration with Johnny Depp to tell a story of Edward Scissorhands which also gave us one of Vincent Prices final roles.

3rd Place

19 Points

Total Recall

total-recall-1990-movie-poster.jpg.92b8a393311ddce4623df08c060efbbd.jpg

3rd place goes to Total Recall as Paul Verhoeven directs Arnie in what is one of both men’s best films. Based on a Phillip K Dick short story – it is a great action/sci-fi/mind-bending/Mars based mash up with great effects/visuals and good support from Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside.

2nd Place

21 Points

Millers Crossing 

861733736_MillersCrossing.jpg.9187879ac2176c3d2f264dd5fa54f083.jpg

2nd place for the Cohen Brother’s third film and the 2nd best Gangster film of the year is Miller’s Crossing featuring great performances from Albert Finney, John Turturro and Gabriel Byrne. Another film that did little business at the box office and found its audience on VHS and is considered one of the Cohen’s finest films.

1st Place

44 Points

Goodfellas 

goodfellas.jpg.4337e46b85bb7e1e69116382262fa6f0.jpg

1st place goes to, for me, the best film ever made. Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas. Based on a book about the real life Henry Hill. Ray Liotta excels in a career high as the gangster making his way up the ranks of the mob, but is matched by brilliant performances by Lorraine Bracco, Robert De Niro and Paul Sorvino amongst a host of actors all giving great performances. The stand-out performance though is Joe Pesci, who won best supporting actor at the Oscars, for his portrayal of Tommy. The stand-out “funny, how?” scene being worked into the script after being improvised by Pesci based on a real life experience. For all the brilliant performances, Scorsese is the true MVP, using pretty much every directorial technique in the book from tracking shots (that scene at the Copacabana was only conceived due to Scorsese not getting permission to film at the front of the club), freeze frames, voice-overs, montages, forth wall breaking, etc, etc to put together a flawless film. The soundtracks is great, the film is funny, tense, violent, sad, always engaging, visually stunning and endlessly re-watchable.

This post should be a feature in Sight n Sound. PERFECTION. Allow me to copy n paste? (just as soon as you edit Cohen to Coen, you fucking Corbyn)

• Upvote 2

1992 Results

Worldwide Box Office

1. Aladdin                                                     $504,050,219

2. The Bodyguard                                       $411,006,740

3. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York         $358,994,850

4. Basic Instinct                                          $352,927,224

5. Lethal Weapon 3                                    $321,731,527

Oscar Best Picture: Unforgiven

BAFTA Best Picture: Howards End

2nd at the Box Office is another year another Kevin Costner mega hit with a mega hit song as he protects Whitney Huston in The Bodyguard. 3rd is Home Alone 2: Lost in New York as Macaulay Culkin runs around the Big Apple. 4th is erotic thriller time as Paul Verhoeven directs Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. At 8 is Emile Ardolino directing Whoppi Goldberg in musical comedy, Sister Act and at 9 is Francis Ford Coppola's flawed horror Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman and a not very good Keanu Reeves.

Al Pacino wins the Best Actor Oscar for his performance in Martin Brest's Scent of a Woman whch also won Best film at the Globes (and actor for Pacino). Robert Downey Jr. bagged Best actor at the BAFTA as Chaplin. James Ivory directs Emma Thompson to all the Best Actress awards for Howards End with Anthony Hopkins. The film also won BEST film at the BAFTAs. Jonathan Lynn directs Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny which won Marisa Tomei best supporting actress at the Oscars in a surprise win.

Curtis Hanson directs Rebecca De Mornay as a nanny from hell in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle as the bad person crashes into nice families lives craze continues with Single White Female with Bridget Fonda. Drew Barrymore was Poison Ivy. Kurt Russell dealt with Ray Liotta trying an Unlawful Entry.

Sylvester Stallone stars in another terrible comedy in, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot while John Carpenter directing Chevy Chase doesn't really work in Memoirs of an Invisible Man. Virtual Reality is here with The Lawnmower man starring Pierce Brosnan. Charles Grodin and a large dog in Beethoven. Eco animation with FernGully: The Last Rainforest.

David Fincher makes his directorial debut with Alien 3 as Sigourney Weaver stars opposite Charles Dance in a marmite alien film messed up by studio interference. Carl Franklin directs a Billy Bob Thornton script in One False Move with Billy Bob starring opposite Bill Paxton. Ron Howard directs Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in Far and Away. Harrison Ford is back as Jack Ryan in Patriot Games.

Penny Marshall directs the rather great and I suspect fairly unknown female baseball team comedy, A League of Their Own with Genna Davis and Tom Hanks. Eddie Murphy was in romantic comedy, Boomerang while Kim Bassinger and Gabriel Byrne and cartoon stuff were in Cool World. Alec Baldwin and Meg Ryan had a Prelude to a Kiss. Roland Emmerich directs Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren in Universal Soldier. Kristy Swanson was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Nicholas Cage and Sarah Jessica Parker had a Honeymoon in Vegas.Doug Bradley was pinhead in Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth. Kenneth Branagh directs himself and Emma Thompson in Peter's Friends. Cameron Crowe directs Bridget Fonda and Matt Dillon in Singles. Wesley Snipes was Passenger 57. Richard Gere and Kim Basinger had some Final Analysis. Sean Connery was a Medicine Man.

Stephen Frears directs Dustin Hoffman in Hero. Tom Selleck was Mr. Baseball while Billy Crystal was Mr. Saturday Night. Emilio Estevez managed The Mighty Ducks. Ridley Scott directs Gerard Depardieu in 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Marlon Brando stars in Christopher Columbus: The Discovery AND we got Carry on Columbus which wasn't the best idea.

Robert Redford directs Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It. Steven Seagal was Under Siege from Tommy Lee Jones. Tony Todd was Candyman, Candyman, Candyman. Kevin Kline and Mary Elizabeth were Consenting Adults. Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman star in Jennifer Eight. Spike Lee directs Denzel Washington in biopic, Malcolm X.

John Sayles directs Mary McDonnell in Passion Fish. Barry Levinson directs Robin Williams in Toys. Steve Martin took a Leap of Faith and Housesitter. Mel Gibson was Forever Young. George Miller directs Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon, in Lorenzo's Oil. Walter Hill directs Bill Paxton and Ice-T in Trespass. Jack Nicholson was Hoffa directed by Danny DeVito and John Goodman was The Babe. Robert Rodriguez’s makes his directorial debut with El Mariachi starring Antonio Banderas and Russell Crowe is a Romper Stomper.

1 Point

Bill Duke directs the great crime flick Deep Cover as Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum get in way over their heads.

Randal Kleiser directs Rick Moranis foolishly doing more experiments on his children in Honey, I Blew up the Kid.

Richard Donner directs Mel Gibson, Danny Glover and Rene Russo in Lethal Weapon 3 as they start getting a bit too old for this shit, but its a decent threequel finishing 5th at the worldwide box office.

Victor Erice directs Spanish painter documentary, The Quince Tree Sun.

2 Points

Rob Reiner concludes his 7 film director run of good/great films with an adpatation of Aaron Sorkin's play (which he also wrote the screenplay for) with a A Few Good Men. Top tier courtroom drama with Tom Cruise, Demi Moore and an exceptional Jack Nicholson performance.

Robert Zemeckis directs Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn in black comedy horror, Death Becomes Her.

Tilda Swinton stars with Bil Zanes in Sally Potter's period drama, Orlando

Hayao Miyazaki writes and directs his 7th film where pigs can fly in Studio Ghibli's Porco Rosso.

Phil Alden Robinson writes and directs a cracking cast including Robert Redford and Dan Aykroyd in hacking comedy, Sneakers

Neil Jordon directs and wins best screenplay at the Oscars with The Crying Game as Stephen Rea and Miranda Richardson star in this thriller with a famous twist.

Robert Altman directs star studded, Hollywood satire, The Player as Tim Robbins studio executive stars opposite Richard E Grant amongst many, many others. It won Best Film at the Globes and best actor for Robbins. Altman nabbed Best Director at the BAFTAs.

Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson star in Ron Shelton's sport comedy, White Men Can't Jump which was both men's first lead role and saw them reunite having both mad their film debut in Wildcats.

3 Points

Spike Lee directs Denzil Washington in his epic biopgraphy of Malcom X.

Michael Ritchie directs a great boxing con-man comedy as James Wood and Oliver Platt try to hustle Bruce Dern in Midnight Sting (also known as Diggstown). Go watch it.

Shinya Tsukamoto directs sci-fi horror Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer starring Tomorowo Taguchi.

Michael Mann writes and directs Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeline Stowe in historical drama, The Last of the Mohicans.

4 Points

Penelope Spheeris directs a SNL skit to a top ten box office finish and a pop culture hit as Mike Myers and Dana Carvey present Wayne's World.

6 Points

Disney follow up their massive 1991 hit, Beauty and the Beast with an even bigger hit with Aladdin as a combination of hit songs and Robin William's superb vocal performance as the genie delivers one of the best loved Disney hits.

Sam Raimi directs the third Evil Dead as Bruce Campbell gets groovy in the middle ages with Army of Darkness.

8 Points

David Lynch directs a big screen sequel to his TV show in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me with Sheryl Lee.

9 Points

Tim Burton directs Batman Returns as Michael Keaton returns as the caper crusader dealing with Michelle Pfiffer's Catwoman and Danny Devito's Penquin with Christopher Walken upping the madness some more.

10 Points

Brian Henson directs Michael Caine and the Muppets in The Muppet Christmas Carol which is, as the title suggests, a muppet based telling of Charles Dickens' classic tale.

11 Points

John Woo directs his final Hong Kong action film before his move to Hollywood as Chow Yun-fat's cop kills bad guys and saves babies in Hard Boiled.

3rd Place

12 Points

Glengarry Glen Ross

glengarry-glen-ross-movie-poster-1992-1010520845.jpg.f8f723c311de11c8ce6170b2304e0dad.jpg

James Foley directs an adaptation of a David Mamet play (who also wrote the screenplay) as an exceptional cast including Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon and Alec Baldwin are real estate salesman in Glengarry Glen Ross. Great performances and great dialogue as you'd expect from the cast and writer.

2nd Place

16 Points

Unforgiven

Unforgiven-official-film--001.jpg.2cf95e1dd68020009163b6e71582cdb6.jpg

Clint Eastwood writes, directs and stars in his final western Unforgiven as he gives an outstanding performance as an aging gunfighter winning Best Picture and director at the Oscars as He and Morgan Freeman deal with Gene Hackman's bad guy that won him all the Best Supporting Actor roles. Benny calls it “A typically superbly directed Clint Eastwood rumination on and deconstruction of the Cowboy film”

1st Place

30 Points

Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir-Dogs-Poster-315x430.jpg.437d5bf600ddf452088695c2993e2ed5.jpg

First place goes to a landmark movie in film history which launched the career of its writer and director Quentin Tarantino, was a key film in the independent film revolution of the nineties, created controversy with one of its infamous violent scenes and ushered in the era of pop culture dialogue. Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth and Chris Penn are among the stars of the aftermath of a bank robbery gone wrong. It is a brilliant, low budget crime movie as the Tarantino era begins set to a cracking soundtrack.

• Upvote 4

I've never seen Glengarry Glen Ross. I'd better get on that.

I was all set to say "unforgivable Rllmuk!" but that one got a deserved placing.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've never seen Glengarry Glen Ross. I'd better get on that. I was all set to say "unforgivable Rllmuk!" but it got a deserved placing.

GGR is completely brilliant. The cast is one of the best ever assembled and the dialogue they get to chew on is Mamet on all cylinders. I watch it at least twice a  year every year

• Upvote 1

It was a good film with flashy dialogue - but almost every character was too loathsome for it to ever be a film I could say I love, or ever particularly want to watch again. I can't say I actually enjoyed watching Alec Baldwin's coffee speech. Enraged by it, yes!

Admittedly, Reservoir Dogs (the film I put at #1) also has flashy dialogue, horrible people, and just as few female speaking roles. But when it's about robbers being violent, I find it entertaining (probably because it's not something I come across in my everyday life, so there's a layer of fantasy). When it's about salesmen conning their victims in order to try and be the biggest fish in their pointless little pool, it's infuriating because it cuts closer to home.

The biggest thing I took from GGR was that at least now I know where The Simpsons got Gil Gunderson (and before that, Jack Lemmon's guest role Frank Ormand) from. :eyebrows:

45 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've never seen Glengarry Glen Ross. I'd better get on that. I was all set to say "unforgivable Rllmuk!" but it got a deserved placing.

It's truly amazing, get on it.

41 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I watch it at least twice a  year every year

Same, I reference it indirectly daily, and not the Baldwin speech unironically appropriated by real life twats.