rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

So I just got a cheap Vive Pro headset and am now jonesing for this game. But I can't find any Index controllers - apparently they're sold out everywhere. Let's hope they restock ahead of the game coming out.

4 hours ago, Shook said:

I don't know much about how VR has progressed in terms of uptake over the past few years but watching that video above is offputting (save for the game itself). All that equipment! It looks like a lot of bother to me. The preserve of enthusiasts.

Top VR tech still looks like something you'd go somewhere to experience rather than have in your home.

I just want to play on a console with my mates.

I’m glad this game is in Vr.  I think to take the game to a new direction VR is needed.  A flat screen version of this will not be possible or lose at lot in the port (I’m sure a modded may attempt this)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rumspringa said:

Things are definitely moving in the right direction, not quite there yet but looks like we'll get there. https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/09/panasonic-vr-glasses/

255469b0-332f-11ea-9bf7-0d9b86524856

While that looks decent, and the screens are nice, it’s currently only 3DoF, and has no inside out or outside in tracking, or hand presence.

More akin to an Oculus Go than a Quest. All that proper VR stuff will likely change the look and weight a lot.

3 hours ago, simms said:

I’m glad this game is in Vr.  I think to take the game to a new direction VR is needed.  A flat screen version of this will not be possible or lose at lot in the port (I’m sure a modded may attempt this)

Yeah I’m sure it’ll be cutting edge and spectacular. No way this is coming to flatscreen. 

Just been waiting a long time for a new HL game and can’t see myself investing in what is needed for this. 

Just incase there is someone who hasn't played any/all of the Half-Life games before, Valve are making Half-Life, Half-Life 2 plus the episodes free to play until Alyx launches.

Link

• Upvote 2

Worth noting that if you have an Oculus Quest the news above means that you can play the original Half Life in VR for free. Just need to sideload Lambda1VR and the requisite files from the steam install of Half Life. Obviously not going to be quite up there techincally with HL: Alyx but tis a lot of fun and more interesting than playing it through on a flat screen again.

• Upvote 1

If they walked that back, I'd expect reports of a mysterious blaze at Valve HQ soon after... 

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I wonder how the launch is going to be affected by the shortage of pretty of VR headsets at the moment.

Rift S is and has been in stock at Amazon for a while. It’s been some time since I’ve saw Oculus Quest available. Vive is out of stock on its own website but Vive Pro is there ok. Index has barely been in stock since day 1 although you’d guess it was manufactured in fairly low numbers.

I’ve a Rift but plan to upgrade it to Rift S. 

It just dawned on me this morning that this is out this month. I only have the Quest to play it on but still, better than nothing.

Apparently the plot (amazing, game changing etc) has leaked and the advice is to avoid all online discussion from here on out.

No such spoilers here but there is some info that might be worth avoiding if you want all the surprises including one incidental piece that sounds like it will make the index controllers worth getting hold of. 

3 hours ago, Mystacon said:

It just dawned on me this morning that this is out this month. I only have the Quest to play it on but still, better than nothing.

13 minutes ago, Parappa said:

So this Quest - you dont need a PC and you can play this?

This got my hopes up but no, apparently it only supports Quest in the sense that you can hook Quest up to a PC.

49 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This got my hopes up but no, apparently it only supports Quest in the sense that you can hook Quest up to a PC.

Ah yes me too! 

As if the Quest would ever have the poke to run this native. You boys!

21 minutes ago, jonamok said:

As if the Quest would ever have the poke to run this native. You boys!

Yeah, apologies if I made anyone think you could do that!

Just bought a compatible 8m USB-A to USB-C cable so I can link it. 

So looking forward to this.  Biggest game of forever for me and hoping it takes VR forwards like the jump into 3D.  Pray it lives up to expectations.  May book the day off work.

Should be a new gameplay video being release today

• Upvote 4

A new half life game is out *this month*

Cant quite believe I just typed that!!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Valver said:

A new half life game is out *this month*

Cant quite believe I just typed that!!

And doesn’t it look good?

I badly need to find someone who’s getting it. 

59 minutes ago, Shook said:

And doesn’t it look good?

I badly need to find someone who’s getting it. 

You're in the right place ;-)

Where in the world are you?  Im in Hertfordshire if that helps...

3 minutes ago, Valver said:

You're in the right place ;-)

Where in the world are you?  Im in Hertfordshire if that helps...

North London. I might take you up on that! 

GSOH, can travel. 

On 01/03/2020 at 14:55, Rumspringa said:

Apparently the plot (amazing, game changing etc) has leaked and the advice is to avoid all online discussion from here on out.

No such spoilers here but there is some info that might be worth avoiding if you want all the surprises including one incidental piece that sounds like it will make the index controllers worth getting hold of. 

Any pointers to where the plot spoilers are? Can’t see anything on Reddit.

He says that someone revealed it to him and will likely do it elsewhere. He doesn't seem to question the source so maybe he's talking shit or it just hasn't happened yet, I've not seen anything either. 

Really hope we get a next-gen Half-Life game for consoles, I want to see City 17 (or a different location etc..) with those gorgeous graphics and lighting.

• Upvote 1