rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

PSVR is 1080p and it doesn’t look sharp (Albeit the experience is still great). Text is horrible usually. Are the latest PC headsets a lot better ?

PSVR at 1920 x 1080 is fairly indistinct but pentile pixels help

Personally I put a 2880x1600 "screen" up against my face regularly. Double the pixels of 1080p I think and pentile ones.

looks great. Project cars and Elite Dangerous look fantastic :D 

Good lenses and gfx work are the key to good VR

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

What are you talking about? Have you even played any recent VR games? :lol:

Loads. I have a great PC and Rift S. Games look great in the Rift, but they are nowhere near the crispness of of a proper screen yet. 

@Clipper is that the HP reverb you're using with the higher res? 

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Loads. I have a great PC and Rift S. Games look great in the Rift, but they are nowhere near the crispness of of a proper screen yet. 

@Clipper is that the HP reverb you're using with the higher res? 

nothing so clever - its just oculus quest OLED screen with that resolution of 2880x1600. The Rift S is 2560×1440 LCD so the QUest is higher res and Oled.

However on Quest link the res is downgraded apparently to some unspecified lower figure but it looks great on games I have played. Original rift I used was 2160 x 1200 and the QUest headset easily matches that for clarity.

I don't see a problem with the gfx fidelity on display in that trailer.

I never said I there was a problem with the trailer, I said it won't look as good as that in VR, which it won't. 

Yes, all the effects and polygons will be present and correct, but at the resolution of the Rift and Index, you don't get that level of clarity. There's a clear difference. If you can't see the difference then you may need your eyes tested. 

The HP Reverb Pro is the first to bring a proper HD level of clarity to VR. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, all the effects and polygons will be present and correct, but at the resolution of the Rift and Index, you don't get that level of clarity. There's a clear difference. If you can't see the difference then you may need your eyes tested. 

I had them tested 2 weeks ago but I am having a glaucoma test tomorrow so who knows it might reveal something :D

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I had them tested 2 weeks ago but I am having a glaucoma test tomorrow so who knows it might reveal something :D

Now I feel like a dick. :(

Hope the test shows everything is okay. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Now I feel like a dick. :(

Hope the test shows everything is okay. 

Sorry, no need to feel like a dick at all - it was just gallows humour hence the smilie!

It will be fine - it is just a regular test of "pressures" with examination of back of the eye... I have them every so often.

no worries at all - and I wasn' trying to make you feel like a dick just silly humour :D

returning to subject at hand I can see what you mean but current headsets are fine for that level of detail VR - I think lots of people think of PSVR level of blurriness and clarity when they think of VR.

• Upvote 1

"Alyx can't do this on her own..."

I wonder who is going to turn up to help her?

It's been so long that I've actually forgotten the story of Half Life. I remember Part 2 ended up with them going to look for a ship in the Arctic.

I also remember HL1 ending with Gordon getting a job offer from the G-Man. But I can't remember how that tied in with him being a sort of freedom fighter or revolutionary figurehead, which is what I seem to remember was going on in HL2. Did any of that get explained?

As for the tech side of things which is what it seems that everyone is getting excited about (rather than the setting, and the world, which imo is what Half Life is really all about) ...

Glad to see some proper development of AAA-quality games in VR - I love VR, but since Resident Evil 7 there's been a disappointing lack of success (or even effort?) at bringing major gaming franchises, that non-geeks will get excited about, into VR. I haven't touched my headset in a year, because since Wipeout VR there hasn't really been anything that's excited me. I got bored of the "experience"-type VR mini-games pretty quickly, even though some of them are fun. But my favourite thing as a gamer has always been exploring worlds that have been developed to have realism (even if they are fantasy/sci-fi worlds) and having adventures that are story-driven. It doesn't necessarily have to be big-name franchises, I'd love to see a great new adventure/RPG/open world action game originate in VR. But hopefully this will get people thinking about starting to make more ambitious VR games again.

Disclaimer: I'm not completely up-to-date with the latest in PC VR so maybe there are some amazing, epic VR worlds out there to explore, and I've just missed them, but nothing's come to my attention.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Clipper said:

It will be fine - it is just a regular test of "pressures" with examination of back of the eye... I have them every so often.

Diabetic? 

9 minutes ago, Len said:

Diabetic? 

nope funnily enough, I know that is common. I just have high pressures in my eyes - have had for maybe 10 years plus... they never quite go bad enough to need treatment and no sign of actual glaucoma just the high pressures. I have had three tests in last couple of years all of which were right on cusp of needing treatment so I think my eyes are trolling the consultant now by being on the edge of needing treatment :D 

Genetic thing I think , my mum has it too as did my grandma (who was diabetic) - which means I get free eye tests.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

nope funnily enough, I know that is common. I just have high pressures in my eyes - have had for maybe 10 years plus... they never quite go bad enough to need treatment and no sign of actual glaucoma just the high pressures. I have had three tests in last couple of years all of which were right on cusp of needing treatment so I think my eyes are trolling the consultant now by being on the edge of needing treatment :D 

Genetic thing I think , my mum has it too as did my grandma (who was diabetic) - which means I get free eye tests.

Aah, fair enough. I get the same tests as a T1. 

Anyway, back to HL. :)

4 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Stupid question, but is there a possibility of getting this or other VR games running on a normal PC, even if they look a bit funny? Possibly with some modding involved?

I’m sure some modders will try, but imagine trying to mimic the interactions shown in the trailer without having two separate hands with full freedom. Press x to highlight object on shelf isn’t the same level of interaction as knock shit out of the way and pick up object from shelf.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, footle said:

I’m sure some modders will try, but imagine trying to mimic the interactions shown in the trailer without having two separate hands with full freedom. Press x to highlight object on shelf isn’t the same level of interaction as knock shit out of the way and pick up object from shelf.

I know. But it's either that or look forlornly inside the shop with my nose pressed to the window.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, footle said:

I assume that if they’re offering movement solutions that are totally static not all configurations will include the ducking and leaning? So with two motion controllers I think you probably could do what you’re describing on a normal screen.

It would be ludicrous to buy a gaming PC and a VR set up for essentially one game. Madness even. 

Totally unrelated, I’m selling a load of my shit. PM me for details. 

• Upvote 6

I bought a Vive back in January and really wish I'd waited. I'm finding 90hz just isn't enough for things like Skyrim VR (or this, I'm guessing). Most other stuff seems fine. I could try to upgrade but even that's going to cost a fortune.

What I'm trying to say is that anyone without PCVR has done the best job in waiting!! You can never hold out too long with new tech.

10 hours ago, Clipper said:

PSVR at 1920 x 1080 is fairly indistinct but pentile pixels help

Personally I put a 2880x1600 "screen" up against my face regularly. Double the pixels of 1080p I think and pentile ones.

looks great. Project cars and Elite Dangerous look fantastic :D 

Good lenses and gfx work are the key to good VR

Pentile pixels are the “bad” ones - five (pent) sub-pixels shared between every two pixels, instead of three independent subpixels each. It’s a full RGB array (like in PSVR) that’s the “good” one.

Although the literal difference is that it’s 5/6ths the resolution, so eg you still have almost twice the resolution of PSVR. And the subpixel rendering in Pentile aims to make the difference even less obvious than that. It used to matter back when it was in phone screens and the entire thing is only 240 pixels wide, not so much now.

• Upvote 2

Things I want/expect:

1) If I balance a bucket atop a door and open it, that the bucket can fall on my head and obscure my view (also, sneaking up on guards and bucketing them temporarily blind);

2) Hands up in surrender / suckerpunch 1-2;

3) So much throwing stuff at people;

4) Weapon butts as melee weapons.

• Upvote 5

I wish there were opportunities to try out VR.  I just can't imagine what it is like to play and is a bit nerve wracking weighing that up with a hefty spend to find out I will feel nauseous whilst playing. 

• Empathy 1

1 minute ago, iknowgungfu said:

I wish there were opportunities to try out VR.  I just can't imagine what it is like to play and is a bit nerve wracking weighing that up with a hefty spend to find out I will feel nauseous whilst playing. 

Where are you based? If you are anywhere near north west London then I'd be happy to let you have a go on my PSVR and Quest. (Assuming you aren't a psychopath who will murder me ;) )

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Disclaimer: I'm not completely up-to-date with the latest in PC VR so maybe there are some amazing, epic VR worlds out there to explore, and I've just missed them, but nothing's come to my attention.  

Well Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands are two larger games that have released very recently that are pretty epic in scale and built from the ground up to be in VR. As opposed to things like Skyrim VR or Borderlands 2 VR that are ports of existing epic scale games

The problem is that VR is still a niche product, with PSVRs ~4.5 million installed base being the leading single platform . Although I think if you took all PCVR headsets as a single entity they would surpass that it's still a niche as you need a pretty decent rig to run anything. This means it's obviously a risk to put out large AAA games.

The other issue you'd have looking at it from a studio perspective, which relates to your quote, is that there is very little mainstream coverage so it's even harder to push your product which makes it an even bigger risk. It's interesting seeing question in this very thread that show there are many people who are pretty heavily into gaming who know very litte about VR and what is currently out there. If you aren't actively going out and seeking out information on VR from places like uploadvr etc then you just aren't going to be seeing it.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I bought a Vive back in January and really wish I'd waited. I'm finding 90hz just isn't enough for things like Skyrim VR (or this, I'm guessing).

That's interesting, I play Skyrim on the Rift S, which is actually 80hz, and have no issues at all. 

I had more issues with Skryim on PSVR, which is 60hz reprojected to 120hz.

On SteamVR I find it's best to turn off all the reprojection stuff and use the legacy setting with lower in-game settings to run at a straight 90hz if possible, the difference in presence is quite noticeable.

• Upvote 1