rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

1 hour ago, PK said:

Geoff Keighley chatting about it with Valve for 20 minutes

They confirm Eric Wolpaw and the Campo Santo guys have been working on it

Oh man. The bit where they talk about fun with doors. About how you can open them a crack and point your gun through. About how you can open a door throw a grenade in and then close it. Playing this is going to burst peoples brains. This is what black monolith moments in gaming are all about.

• Upvote 6

I thought whilst what they have shown looks good, it's not the bleeding edge revolutionary Half-Life or VR moment I was expecting from Valve. The only thing from that short trailer that is a step up over VR available right now is moving stuff around on shelves by swiping your hand at the objects. Of course they could be holding stuff back before revealing it.

If you check out 'Blood and Truth' on PSVR you will see there's not much difference in the gameplay from that video. Just replace London with City 17 and East End Gangsters with The Combine.

• Downvote 2

This looks ok. Like it’s cooler than other VR games. I hope it does really well and sells thousands of copies and VR becomes cheaper and other devs make cool games for it. My PC would probably need upgrading in addition to the VR stuff though so I can’t see it being worth it for one 15 hour game. Well maybe, but not that game. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

oculus quest plus a USB A-C cable

Does that work without a PC? Because if £400 for that plus the price of a gaming PC is the minimum that’s quite a lot.

34 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I'm not sure I get all the movement options either :huh:

Let's consider moving fowards and backwards and strafing in a traditionl 2D game. You'd do this by moving the thumb stick on the controller fowards/backwards left and right, and thereby move around the environment. Smoot locomotion in VR is essentially the same as this. However this can make some people very very nauseated.

To get around this a lot of games introduce the option of teleportation. This is a bit like Myst, I suppose, where you are fixed to a spot and then point to another spot (generally you hold a button and a circle appears that you move around to determine where you are going to land) when you let go of the button you are suddenly in that spot, as the name suggests teleporting around the map. This tends to sort out the issues people have with motion sickness although it can be slightly disorientating.

Then there is the middle ground where you still pick a point to move to (as with teleportation) but you then you actual experience the movement to that point as you sliding to it.

There are also general different options for turning around, like smooth turning, snap turning (where you turn in increments) etc. again to help people not feel sick.

There are also a whole host of other comfort options (like blinkers when you move, turn) that are available in most VR games that allow some for of locomation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

Does that work without a PC? Because if £400 for that plus the price of a gaming PC is the minimum that’s quite a lot.

Nah, you need a PC for the Quest link to work, otherwise it's basically just a Quest.

You'd need a PC anyway, the game hasn't been announced on any other format.

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

The Quest does, however there is no way that this game will run natively on the Quest. The new Oculus Link just allows you to use your Quest as a PCVR HMD as well.

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

Movement explanation

It's also worth noting that a lot of these movement options are kinda difficult to explain, but when you're using them in a game you get used to them very quickly. Like introducing twin-stick controls to someone who's only ever played NES games. 

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The Quest does, however there is no way that this game will run natively on the Quest. The new Oculus Link just allows you to use your Quest as a PCVR HMD as well.

And early reports seem to suggest that Oculus Link is pretty good. Fingers crossed!

City 17 is one of the most underused locations in gaming, I'd forgotten how much I love the look and feel of that place. There's something utterly believable about it, it's not the usual cliched Orwellian post apocalyptic setting, it has a tone and character all of its own. It's really sophisticated and timeless,  quiet and threatening at the same time. Something about the scale makes it feel completely convincing. Still love the subtle naturalistic lighting which probably hasn't been bettered.

• Upvote 5

Watching that interview, I think Valve see this as a way of easing themselves into building big-budget singleplayer experiences again, and possibly egging themselves on to build Half Life 3. It's a way of breaking the paralysis, by thinking of the platform first and letting everything else follow. Depending on how this is recieved, it's easy to imagine Valve not having a shortage enthusiasm and ideas for a sequel.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It's also worth noting that a lot of these movement options are kinda difficult to explain, but when you're using them in a game you get used to them very quickly. Like introducing twin-stick controls to someone who's only ever played NES games. 

That is indeed very true. Once in game it tends to make a lot more sense, and things that look very strange in a 2D video, like the weird disembodied hands acutally work really well when you are in game. Just the connection you have with things like holding the gun and aiming is amazing.

• Upvote 1

The best bit of disembodied hands is watching my mate play Robo Recall, and forgetting to unholster his gun before trying to shoot anything.

It was basically Thumbs and Ammo: The Game.

BMqaDkh.png

• Upvote 2

How much am I shelling out for a full fat Index then?

edit: $999 it seems.

Goddammit, the atmosphere, the setting, the visuals. Not sure I can resist.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Watching that interview, I think Valve see this as a way of easing themselves into building big-budget singleplayer experiences again, and possibly egging themselves on to build Half Life 3. It's a way of breaking the paralysis, by thinking of the platform first and letting everything else follow. Depending on how this is recieved, it's easy to imagine Valve not having a shortage enthusiasm and ideas for a sequel.

I imagine they'll make this the testing ground, then conclude things with a full-fat VR title that ties up the story from both the Black Mesa and Aperture ends.

It says all VR sets and input devices supported by steam VR, but I assume you need some motion controllers as well right? Say I’ve already got a gaming PC, are there second hand headsets that will run this? Will they run it worse? Do all headsets have motion controllers? Do you need ones that match your headset? 

I’d not really ever considered buying VR but the market seems complex at a glance, though I’m guessing like everything it’s probably simpler than it seems? 

For those who have no experience of VR, the game will not look as good in VR as it does in the trailer. The tech isn't there yet. 

Best bang for buck is the Oculus offerings. The Index, while very nice, is massively overpriced for very little in terms of visual improvements over the Oculus Rift S. 

59 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

City 17 is one of the most underused locations in gaming, I'd forgotten how much I love the look and feel of that place. There's something utterly believable about it, it's not the usual cliched Orwellian post apocalyptic setting, it has a tone and character all of its own. It's really sophisticated and timeless,  quiet and threatening at the same time. Something about the scale makes it feel completely convincing. Still love the subtle naturalistic lighting which probably hasn't been bettered.

Why I love Dishonored 1 & especially the 2nd game so much. 

6 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I take it all back. Fucking hell it looks like valve have found their heart again. 
:wub:

Yeah, their black, cold heart preventing me and my broken eyes from playing the fucking thing in VR.

"Khaaaaaaaaarn!"

kharn.jpg.aede67ba701bfa6c346617f165723d6b.jpg

Oh wait.

Sorry.

"Gaaaaaaaaaabe"

kharn.jpg.aede67ba701bfa6c346617f165723d6b.jpg

Yeah. That's better.

• Upvote 2

It looks amazing. Almost suspiciously so, however. That can be proper gameplay footage, surely? CG 'enhanced' gameplay, perhaps. It reminds me of the TLoU2 reveal trailer and the 'gameplay' in that. The animation and non-scripted nature of it all seems too good to be true.

I'd love to be proved wrong, of course.

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

For those who have no experience of VR, the game will not look as good in VR as it does in the trailer. The tech isn't there yet. 

Best bang for buck is the Oculus offerings. The Index, while very nice, is massively overpriced for very little in terms of visual improvements over the Oculus Rift S. 

What are you talking about? Have you even played any recent VR games? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

What are you talking about? Have you even played any recent VR games? :lol:

Probably talking about the still not great resolution of VR.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Clipper said:

the trailer I saw was 1080p - VR goes higher than that.

The gfx in the trailer are possible on PCVR on many headsets 

Try sticking a 1080p television to your face and see how good it looks.