Half-Life: Alyx

I started off with the flick turning, because originally on the Rift the smooth turning option didn't work. Once it was fixed, it felt more natural than the discrete turning in 45 degree chunks, but took a little while to get used to and probably reduced the amount of time I could spend playing in any given session before I felt a little off.

Mind you, given some of the unsettling situations the game likes to throw you into, a reduced playtime wasn't always down to motion sickness.

I toyed a bit with moving in the direction you look, but I much preferred being able to look around me while moving towards my destination so I soon switched back to the hands direction. Neither are an ideal option but for the most part, I was moving as if playing a normal first person game with a pad - left stick to move, right stick to turn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just put half an hour into this, playing wirelessly via the Quest 2.

FUCK ME THIS IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE SHIT EVER!!!

My god. It's amazing. I spent ten minutes balancing empty bottles on the balcony railing at the beginning and then throwing other things at them to knock them off. Then I threw something at a pigeon.

Jesus Christ. Why aren't more people talking about this!?

41 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Those with access to PCVR likely played it at launch. Equally, the actual group of people with access to PCVR is incredibly small. 

But yes, it's a fucking incredible game. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

My god. It's amazing. I spent ten minutes balancing empty bottles on the balcony railing at the beginning and then throwing other things at them to knock them off. Then I threw something at a pigeon.

Because it's an expensive game to play.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

because PC VR is a faff, and expensive.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

:D Glad you are enjoying! It's gamings true next generation IMHO. Tried drawing on the board yet?! This tech will be game changing when more people experience it. To many write it off as a gimmick haven't had this experience or tried a driving sim with a wheel and headset!

Just replaying through episode 2 again on PC before getting fully stuck into alyx. Have just done an hour upto yet on it.  Well I say an hour, but the majority of it was exploring the environments in awe of the amount of detail on offer.  Its insane.  The game is a god dam technical masterpiece.  Cant wait to get stuck into it. 

I agree with MattyP, this is true next gen of gaming.  Just a shame its out of reach for alot of folks out there.  

Aaaand that's the battery gone :D

Hot damn, that was one of the best Saturday nights of gaming I've had in a long time. Utterly fantastic. I'm a sweaty mess, my hands are shaking and I imagine I'm going to have some interesting dreams later, but what an experience!

I just had my first proper shootout. I automatically found myself hiding behind a pillar, with my back to it, turning on my heel to pop out and shoot before ducking back in, ejecting a magazine and reloading. My wife (watching Strictly again) said I looked a prized prat, but man, that felt good!

Just got through chapter 5.

Spoiler

The hotel area with the lightning dogs. That was great fun. I'm getting huge The Last of Us vibes from all the fungus and spores and so on, which is no bad thing, but the comparison is interesting - Valve definitely seem to have taken a leaf out of Naughty Dog's book when it comes to the design of some of the environments in the interim between this and the earlier HL games; having replayed HL2 earlier this year, from what I can recall, none of this organic alien stuff was really in there, but then I suppose it would have been too graphically taxing back then.

Anyway, what a game! I was starting to get a bit fed up with the shooting using the pistol, mainly with the fact that I'm apparently such a rubbish shot, but I've got the laser guide for it now so I'm laughing, especially with my recently-acquired Combine SMG, too. Those bastard headcrabs don't stand a chance :)

Fantastic.

I think it's very good, for sure. But it's still incredibly VR game the VR game and achingly videogamey in bits. The best of its sort, but I don't think it's transformative tech that'll convince anyone who isn't already convinced by VR. I think the Quest itself is more that - hassle and wire free, slap it on your head, play Pistol Whip or Table Tennis.... I've generally cooled on VR quite a lot as ultimately it's like having a selection box where everything faintly tastes of marzipan. After a while the mechanical and visual tricks all begin to blur into one. But it is sometimes nice to get fully immersed in a gameworld, and the fidelity of Alyx is certainly impressive. 

4 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I think it's very good, for sure. But it's still incredibly VR game the VR game and achingly videogamey in bits. The best of its sort, but I don't think it's transformative tech that'll convince anyone who isn't already convinced by VR. I think the Quest itself is more that - hassle and wire free, slap it on your head, play Pistol Whip or Table Tennis.... I've generally cooled on VR quite a lot as ultimately it's like having a selection box where everything faintly tastes of marzipan. After a while the mechanical and visual tricks all begin to blur into one. But it is sometimes nice to get fully immersed in a gameworld, and the fidelity of Alyx is certainly impressive. 

Alyx is only the second VR game I've played, but I can see what you're saying. It's very fun but there's still something vaguely superficial about it as well; compared with the non-VR Half-Life games, you're limited in pretty much every respect, from where you can stand in the level, to the number of weapons there are to choose from, to the amount of enemies on screen at once. At times it feels like I'm playing an especially good lightgun game.

The pacing feels very different from a non-VR game, too. According to Steam, I've been playing the game for about 12 hours now and I don't feel as if I've really gone that far in terms of the in-game geography I've traversed, whereas when I replayed HL2 earlier this year I'd completed the game in 8 hours. This isn't a bad thing, by any means, but it's certainly different from what I was expecting.

I would treasure the experiences you have with VR now as those first few months with the tech are always incredible and transformative and will have you gushing about it to friends and family members. The downsides you're already noticing increasingly become noticeable and there will come a point where that, and the hassle of getting the headset out (because you're tired and can't be arsed wiggling around), will mean it gets relegated back to being more of a novelty in your gaming choices. A great novelty that'll you'll visit from time to time and be momentarily taken with how cool it all is (and ask internal questions of yourself of why you don't play it as much as you used to) but ultimately it'll feel a little bit like chasing a cocaine high. You'll never really recapture *that* moment, which is kind of sad. But it's a great ride getting to that point which I think every gamer should experience.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell this is something special. Picked it up whilst on offer, after intending to get it since launch.

I spent ages just throwing bottles and chairs, giggling to myself. The sense of presence is the best I've yet experienced in vr, and if it wasn't for the wife huffing about me wandering in front of the telly for over an hour, I'd still be playing it now.

Cracking.

The combat is something else isn't it? 

A far remove from usual FPS encounters, it's fucking nerve-wracking even with a couple of adversaries; the big bastards with machine guns are pretty bloody intimidating.

I had a moment earlier where I was hiding behind a ticket booth at a train station, alternating between peeking out and getting off a few triple-bursts, and fumbling for some grenades I'd thoughtfully thrown into the area from the previous one.

I had one especially panic inducing incident where I was in a firefight, and ended up smacking the controller on the living room radiator and getting caught in the curtains. My wife thought that was pretty hilarious when I started fighting the drapes and doing the soprano-scale "fuckfuckfuck" song.

Talking of which, she filmed me in my pyjamas whilst I was gingerly exploring the environment. I think I encountered a head crab, and after emptying the magazine I must admit I looked pretty cool (set up and garb aside) in how smooth I managed my reload.

About an hour and a half is my limit right now, after which it starts getting a bit fatiguing. Looking forward to another stint tomorrow though!

See, stuff like that is why Valve, when they give a shit are just top of the tree. 

Sigh, maybe one day Gabe will do a George Lucas and flog the lot to Disney or something. We’d have more Half Lives and Portals than you could shake a baby Yoda at then. 

51 minutes ago, simms said:

Mind blown.  I never thought to do this.  I do wonder if it would work going from one level to another 

Hide contents

I did that for a while but it just became a pain in the arse, frankly. Maybe it would be more useful on the higher difficulties, but on the default there are more than enough stims and grenades to go around.

Still, it's very cool that you have the option!

I just got the bit where 

Spoiler

you have to face multiple lightning dogs and zombies at the same time after dropping down into a no-escape zone. Got absolutely caned the first attempt and decided to call it a day.

Looking forward to tonight's attempts at that bit again. 

Also: I just found out that you can upgrade all your flippin' weapons, not just the pistol! Bugger.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ. There's also apparently an inventory slot on both hands, not just the bloody gun hand. Looking forward to my second playthrough without having unintentionally handicapped myself!

• 1 month later...

Fucking hell this is good

playing on a pretty bang average setup, oculus quest on a link cable , 1080ti.

Easily best thing I’ve seen in vr, absolutely superb.

has anyone played this on a similar setup and then upgraded eg valve index ? How does it compare?

Still a pain in the ass setup wise but definitely worth it

2 minutes ago, sid said:

Fucking hell this is good

playing on a pretty bang average setup, oculus quest on a link cable , 1080ti.

Easily best thing I’ve seen in vr, absolutely superb.

has anyone played this on a similar setup and then upgraded eg valve index ? How does it compare?

Still a pain in the ass setup wise but definitely worth it

Out of interest what processor and RAM have you got? I have heard you can play this on low to medium settings with a GTX 1650 which I have but not purchased it yet to try.

I have an i7 4790k so I would be interested to know if there is a chance of running it with my Quest 2.