rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

Geoff Keighley chatting about it with Valve for 20 minutes

They confirm Eric Wolpaw and the Campo Santo guys have been working on it

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It looks good, but it also looks like what everyone originally expected from VR, which is a bit shit for 5 years after its launch (or over 7 from the Oculus Kickstarter)

What's the cheap guy option for PCVR? Index controllers and a Samsung Windows HMD?

oculus quest plus a USB A-C cable

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Honestly? The whole of this feels a little like a gut punch to folk who've been waiting so long for a new HL game 

Half Life is dead. This whole Alyx thing is because some bean counter figured it would be a great idea to release HL VR game.

Many of the Half Life writers have already left Valve so people need to stop waiting for another Half Life game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6
  • Empathy 1

I think the expectation that this game is possible as a 'normal' non-VR game is missing the point. The whole game is built around VR - not just cosmetically like RE7 but in all its puzzles and interactions and combat. Seems to me like they're going for the kind of combat you'd see in a Matrix movie - throw a lamp at that guy while grabbity-gloving the gun in the holster of that guy and shooting a third guy in the face with it. You can't do that with a standard controller. And that's not even getting into how nuanced the cover system is or how every object in the game appears to be fully rendered and weighted and able to be toyed around with.

And that's what makes it so great. Granted, I don't think its quite the brain melt that was the HL2 trailer, which was just utterly unique, but the potential here is absolutely vast, the environments just utterly wondrous in their atmosphere and scope, the combine have a solidity and menace to them that makes me think combat is going to be so thrilling and open to 'Last of Us' style desperate scraps with guns and melees and random cudgels,  and I am so so jealous of people who have the kit to play this (I don't even have a PC so I'm going to have to patiently wait for PSVR2).

• Upvote 4

Interesting that they've recast Alyx, given Merle Dandridge is a seasoned voice actor in the interactive medium, and would have presumably been up for it. I assume it must have been a creative decision. I assumed it was because they wanted someone younger but they've cast an actor who's roughly the same age.

8 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I think the expectation that this game is possible as a 'normal' non-VR game is missing the point. The whole game is built around VR - not just cosmetically like RE7 but in all its puzzles and interactions and combat.

Yeah, if they didn't go all in, they wouldn't be able to fully explore the possibilities. It must be hard enough having to account for some users sitting down and using a thumbstick, others teleporting but moving in a limited area, and others roaming around their luxoruous dedicated VR space.

I wonder how they'll handle having the player inhabit such a fully realised character. It would be odd to be towering over characters who are supposed to be taller than Alyx, for example.

Hooboy Valve are really following up Artifact with a game that only 0.8% of steam users can play. That’s still a hefty increase in players I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

So I bought my first gaming PC for Half Life 2. 

Looks like that's happening again then  except this time I gotta get new VR shit as well. 

What price am I looking at here? 

• Upvote 2

I won’t be playing it, solely because 12 years of radio silence after episode 2’s cliffhanger has left me with little patience for Valve’s mercurial bullshit, but I am curious as to where it’s set in the timeline. 

From what I can see, it doesn’t even follow on from episode 2! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Garibaldi said:

I won’t be playing it, solely because 12 years of radio silence after episode 2’s cliffhanger has left me with little patience for Valve’s bullshit, but I am curious as to where is set in the timeline. 

From what I can see, it doesn’t even follow on from episode 2! 

They've mentioned it's set between 1 and 2

• Upvote 1

Yeah they're a bit weird about Half Life 3 in that Keighley video; it seems like everyone there is terrified of going anywhere near it, despite all of them really wanting to work on a Half Life game, and so making something in VR was their excuse to do something in that universe

9 minutes ago, cassidy said:

So I bought my first gaming PC for Half Life 2. 

Looks like that's happening again then  except this time I gotta get new VR shit as well. 

What price am I looking at here? 

To do it properly? Over £2k

Oh man it's serendipity. Bought the HMD before any mention of HL Alyx. Built my first PC in years a short while ago and Quest Link gets released the other day. So glad I didn't need that second kidney.

20191121_193519.jpg

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

To do it properly? Over £2k

Yeah, you're not wrong. I'm hoping that eye tracking and foveated rendering becomes mainstream pretty soon, because that could really lighten the rendering requirements of VR. Possibly down to levels where consoles can cope easily. I could see a PS5 and a PSVR2 handling this really well, but only if it doesn't have to try to render full 1440p or whatever at 90hz.