Half-Life: Alyx

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

I'm playing on a 980Ti and it runs superbly on Medium.  Your 980 is about the same, or probably a bit faster, than the minimum required 1060.  The only issue you may encounter is not enough VRAM on it...  Is it 3Gb?  

I'd buy it, try it, and if it doesn't work, you have Steams excellent refund policy you can make use of...

24 minutes ago, Valver said:

I'm playing on a 980Ti and it runs superbly on Medium.  Your 980 is about the same, or probably a bit faster, than the minimum required 1060.  The only issue you may encounter is not enough VRAM on it...  Is it 3Gb?  

I'd buy it, try it, and if it doesn't work, you have Steams excellent refund policy you can make use of...

4GB. And forgot about the refund policy!

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Was about to buy it on Steam when I double checked the minimum requirements.. :angry: My 980GTX isnt enough! Bah!

I'm running it on a 970 & 2600k. Settings are low, apart from textures, soft cloth and rag dolls, and it runs totally fine outside of an initial burst of action be it multiple enemies appearing or an explosion but it settles down quickly; you'll be fine.

Ffs, want to read the Edge review but I can't appear to buy the current issue on its own?... 

Someone willing to send me pdf or scan the print? I'll happily donate to a charity or something as a jesture. 

And finished. According to steam that's 13 hours of pure VR gold. An outstanding finale. :wub:

Spoiler

Jeff was probably the highlight for me. Fucking terrifying, and absolutely brilliantly done because, essentially, he's a puzzle. Dealing with Jeff turned out to be great fun, and I did have a massive lol (in hindsight) at the naughty headcrab knocking over all the bottles as you're trying to run to safety. I know I got the achievement for killing him, but that was an accident! I reloaded and then let poor Jeff out. Was hoping he'd pop up later, ah well.

The finale really was something special, the strider encounter was superb, that whole sequence after the big explosion felt like you were taking part in your very own sci-fi action movie. Just stupendous throughout, and then they give you awesome green balls of energy that make you feel like a superhero! I really wasn't expecting that ending, with the time jump to that moment. At first I was like, this isn't how Eli dies, but then the room clears and ... holy shit! See, for me that was only days prior, I finished Episode 2 just last week. So this was me: :o

So, Half-Life 3 is next, right? They have to be working on it now. Was great to see dog after the credits.

The fully upgraded pistol was tasty, but I hated the gun early on after installing the reflex sight, I'm looking forward to a replay of this without installing that daft hindrance.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

And finished. According to steam that's 13 hours of pure VR gold. An outstanding finale. :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

Jeff was probably the highlight for me. Fucking terrifying, and absolutely brilliantly done because, essentially, he's a puzzle. Dealing with Jeff turned out to be great fun, and I did have a massive lol (in hindsight) at the naughty headcrab knocking over all the bottles as you're trying to run to safety. I know I got the achievement for killing him, but that was an accident! I reloaded and then let poor Jeff out. Was hoping he'd pop up later, ah well.

The finale really was something special, the strider encounter was superb, that whole sequence after the big explosion felt like you were taking part in your very own sci-fi action movie. Just stupendous throughout, and then they give you awesome green balls of energy that make you feel like a superhero! I really wasn't expecting that ending, with the time jump to that moment. At first I was like, this isn't how Eli dies, but then the room clears and ... holy shit! See, for me that was only days prior, I finished Episode 2 just last week. So this was me: :o

So, Half-Life 3 is next, right? They have to be working on it now. Was great to see dog after the credits.

The fully upgraded pistol was tasty, but I hated the gun early on after installing the reflex sight, I'm looking forward to a replay of this without installing that daft hindrance.

Any replay value? 

14 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Any replay value? 

Depends on your definition. For someone like me who enjoys playing games more than once, there's loads. But if you're looking for the game to be different every time you play ... not really. It's a very heavily scripted game, so on a replay you're going to know exactly what's coming and how things go down. 

I've had very little game time the last few days, played a few flat games and a bit of PSVR but my time with Alyx has been interrupted by real life and 

helping a few older family members out. Everyone is golden for the next seven days. 

I'm heading to the shops for personal stuff and I'm going to treat myself to some shit hot booze and grub. Then I'm home and playing Alyx for the rest of the day.

Thread has got me hyped.

41 minutes ago, amc said:

I've had very little game time the last few days, played a few flat games and a bit of PSVR but my time with Alyx has been interrupted by real life and 

helping a few older family members out. Everyone is golden for the next seven days. 

I'm heading to the shops for personal stuff and I'm going to treat myself to some shit hot booze and grub. Then I'm home and playing Alyx for the rest of the day.

Thread has got me hyped.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as well, work is busier than ever and trying to get some space to actually play without my wife or my son under my feet is proving difficult! You'd think a lock in would be beneficial to completing a game but it's proving the opposite for me! 

Watching that really brought home how long it’s been since I played Half-Life. There’s stuff I don’t remember at all but it’s all very familiar, though maybe not with the impact it could have if I’d replayed them recently. The ending was cool, but I have to ask:

Spoiler

Did they just make people wait 16 years for a new half life game then ended it on the same cliffhanger as episode 2?! Seriously? I hope they get a sequel out some time in the next decade. 

23 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

I had to turn of my DMZ and it worked fine.

Huge thanks... that seemed to work.. I think.

Bit laggy at the moment, but I am running both connections overs wifi - so will try and connect the router to my pc. Love the idea of this game untethered though!

It's fast becoming my favourite game of all time.

5 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Can this be played in a limited play space? Mostly seated but standing would be fine, I don't have much room to flail my arms around though :(

Yup I'm playing it seated on my sofa. There is a duck button too so you can grab thing on the floor easily.

Just finished this minutes ago and wow just wow what and amazing experience that was also a perfect half life game to boot 

Spoiler

Jeff oh dear Jeff first your learn to fear him then you learn to love him 

the whole last hour was up there with one of the best game endings from the strider attack to the vault  Raid and your new found god like powers :-) 

there has to be a half life 3 now after that ending - otherwise this has just been on big huge troll by vavle - surely they wouldn’t do that again???   B3lieve!! 

Just realised I'm wrong about the game having nothing new in terms of game mechanics. 

Spoiler

Covering your mouth to stop yourself from coughing, and needing to do that during the most terrifying encounter. Genius. 

On 25/03/2020 at 20:37, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Followed the instructions to the letter, but once I got into virtual desktop via the quest - it cant see my headset so won't boot steam vr etc.. Just says steam Vr can't find headset and offers to reset it, same for the oculus software.. any ideas?

Yes, late reply but for anyone wondering, click the left oculus button and then launch your games from the virtual desktop "games" tab, or click "launch steamvr". If you run the game from the Oculus app on your PC desktop it'll say the headset isn't connected. 

19 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

Can this be played in a limited play space? Mostly seated but standing would be fine, I don't have much room to flail my arms around though :(

I think being able to spin around freely is actually much more important than being able to walk around a lot. I think I'd rather play it wirelessly on Quest than wired on Index (I've never used an index though, so...)

I haven't touched this for a couple of days, almost afraid to play it and burn through it too fast. But I'm hoping for a bit sesh later this afternoon.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Just realised I'm wrong about the game having nothing new in terms of game mechanics. 

Hide contents

Covering your mouth to stop yourself from coughing, and needing to do that during the most terrifying encounter. Genius. 

Just on this, I trust everyone worked out that... 

Spoiler

You can wear the gas masks that are dotted around so that you no longer have to worry about covering your mouth.

You can also wear the tiger mask. :D But be careful because it does replace the gas mask when you put it on, you'll find the gas mask had dropped to the floor. 

Incredible!

When you are in there, that virtual world, it's easy to be totally immersed, even just now when I had the sound coming out of my tv( I normally wear ear buds). I haven't used my Vive in over a year, I think I got bored of the lack of real meaty games, this game is the first AAA game I have played in VR. I'm now using continous movement, it makes a big differance than purely teleporting, it allows dodging enemies, moving to cover and moving precisely much better.

Spoiler

That bloody Northern star hotel, oh man, so tense. I just did the bit where the poisonous head crabs are everywhere.  At the end there I had my hand on the health regen machine whilst my attention was focused on keeping my smg aimed at the previous fucking nightmare section incase of more of those bastard headcrabs. Another part there is three zombies stuck behind a fenced off area, instead of gunning them down with the smg I plopped a grenade I had over the fence and watched those suckers die.  

Thought I'd got some sort of glitch in the graphics. Some VR games struggle with my height so I either get head too high or can't crouch to pick up stuff. In this is get a weird yellow halo. Turns out I actually just spent the whole of chapter 3 with a construction hat on my head. 

I'm chapter 4 now and it has that same variety and shifting tone chapter by chapter that Half Life 2 did so brilliantly. Work of genius. 

Also finished this today. It's so nicely done, plus it does a great job of rewarding players as you work through and finish sections, especially Jeff!

Sometimes I forgot I was in VR as you get so used to manhandling drawers and stuff. I was surprised when I went to kick a draw shut that it didn't work!

All worked lovely on Quest via Oculus Link. Surprised how it 'just worked', even the controls are well thought out.

Only problem now is I can't play it fresh ever again! 

Just tried Virtual Desktop as suggested by Moz. Blimey, that's impressive. This was on a less than optimal setup, laptop connected to router via wifi and on whatever stock PlusNet router they give you, but it's almost as smooth as Oculus Link. 

Gave me a reason to replay the start again, it's a very different experience when you can wander around. Opening doors is much easier! If you've got a Quest I'd recommend trying this for sure.

Make sure you buy the Quest version of Virtual Desktop from your phone, not the PC version from the Oculus PC App. That's a refund request in progress!

Definitely worth installing the latest Beta client too on the Quest, so you'll need to install and setup Sidequest (then you download the APK and drag it on to the 'Tasks' window to sideload it, took me a while to figure that out) and from there it's click and play. You don't even need the Oculus app running on PC, so I suspect it's a more optimal way of running it. Just have Steam open first.

Stopped playing when I punched my kitchen light messing around with the Gravity Gloves... Got told off :P