Jump to content

Half-Life: Alyx


Recommended Posts

well this is truley something special im running this on what would be classed as a low middle spec rig these days - and its running perfectly (rift cv1)  there are times where ive had to just stop in game and admire the visuals as some are almost photo reslistic - plus it can be tense as hell.... hello face crabs im looking at you 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, just spent 20 mins playing with the new beta for virtual desktop streamer and the sideloaded beta client for virtual desktop, and it's night and day compared to last night. Hand tracking is extremely smooth, hitting most of the notes in Beat Saber as I intended and with far less of the jittery hand tracking in the current version. The main issue for Beat Saber is the audio being slightly out of sync, just enough to throw you off, but otherwise I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between wireless, wired and native. I'm working at the moment in theory but I'll be diving into this properly from the start again later and really getting to grips with it wirelessly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JPL said:

Ah shit, you lot are making me want to play this now. What’s the best way to go about it?

 

I’ve got a 2019 MacBook Pro and an eGPU with a 1080ti, but no VR equipment. What’s the cheapest/easiest/best way to get in on the action?


An Oculus Quest all the way!
 

It’s the most versatile and easy to setup and works flawlessly with my Mac set up. It’s also not going to break the bank at £400. Honestly it’s a small price to pay to experience what is maybe the most ground breaking game for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moz said:

Wow, just spent 20 mins playing with the new beta for virtual desktop streamer and the sideloaded beta client for virtual desktop, and it's night and day compared to last night. Hand tracking is extremely smooth, hitting most of the notes in Beat Saber as I intended and with far less of the jittery hand tracking in the current version. The main issue for Beat Saber is the audio being slightly out of sync, just enough to throw you off, but otherwise I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between wireless, wired and native. I'm working at the moment in theory but I'll be diving into this properly from the start again later and really getting to grips with it wirelessly.

 

I might give this a bash as well, not having the wire to get tangled up in would be awesome and I'm literally 2m away from my router so hoping it would work ok.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:


An Oculus Quest all the way!
 

It’s the most versatile and easy to setup and works flawlessly with my Mac set up. It’s all not going to break the bank at £400. Honestly it’s a small price to pay to experience what is maybe the most ground breaking game for years.

Nice. I'll have a look into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vezna said:


I’m running it on a ssd and haven’t found loading times to be an issue. :huh:

 

I'll try loading on ssd, thanks 

 

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is there a run button? 

 

Contiuous walk does seem rather slow but probably for good reason 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you think this will come to PSVR or is it not really possible?

 

No one knows at this point.  My guess that this will come to the PS5's PSVR 2 eventually due to demands in graphically fidelity and tracking needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you think this will come to PSVR or is it not really possible?

Given that VR is a limited audience, I'm positive Valve will put Alyx out on PS5.

 

They could make it work with the original headset and Move controllers – the game's already flexible across different inputs – but I'm not sure they'd want to. Obviously we don't really know anything about PSVR's successor yet, but it'll probably have something closer to the Index controllers.

 

Incidentally I could see it coming to XSX, too, so long as Microsoft offers some kind of VR support; I can't think of a good reason they wouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Done around 7hrs altogether and just 2hrs this morning because for the very first time ever I’ve had motion sickness in VR. I dunno if it’s because the gameplay is so intensely immersive or what.
 

Pretty pissed off with myself.

  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also find loading slow, and this is from SSD. Weird.

 

Great game so far. I've played a LOT of VR games (and currently playing Paper Beast in parallel) but this is the most polished and refined one I've ever come across.

 

I haven't come across anything actually groundbreaking so far (I'm near the end of chapter 3) excluding the gfx which are by far the most technically impressive.

 

Quick question: in the subway when there's that eye/camera that pops up from the console, it displays a hologram for your multitool to slot into, but when I did thst nothing happened. Previous to this I had ingored it and back tracked. Oh, and also used the injector without prompting. Have I sequence broken the thing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Treble said:

Quick question: in the subway when there's that eye/camera that pops up from the console, it displays a hologram for your multitool to slot into, but when I did thst nothing happened. Previous to this I had ingored it and back tracked. Oh, and also used the injector without prompting. Have I sequence broken the thing? 

That's one of the 'hacking' interactions. There seems to be a few different kinds and they don't have any kind of explicit tutorial outside showing you where to place your multitool/hand to start off, so just poke at them and you'll figure it out.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

That whole end sequence is phenomenal.

 

I don't want to know anything about the sequence, but what was your total play time to completion?

 

I'm going to take my time anyway, and already I can definitely see myself having multiple playthroughs just to take it all in again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ferine said:

That's one of the 'hacking' interactions. There seems to be a few different kinds and they don't have any kind of explicit tutorial outside showing you where to place your multitool/hand to start off, so just poke at them and you'll figure it out.

 

Yeah, did one and it was fine. This one doesn't seem to want to play. Ah well, no probs! Ta :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thor said:

Really wish I hadn't gone for the first upgrade on the pistol, I was a far better shot without it. 


I totally agree. Since attaching it I can’t hit anything but if I choose to ignore it I’m far more deadly. Makes no sense. :lol:

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vezna said:

I totally agree. Since attaching it I can’t hit anything but if I choose to ignore it I’m far more deadly. Makes no sense. :lol:

I got the laser sight for the shotgun, I'm hopinfg the one for the pistol replace the shit one we have now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2019 at 22:04, Retroid said:

3 months to get a better Job, a better PC and a VR headset...

 

Doable.

 

Did not happen :(

 

Enjoy guys I'll play it one day!

  • Empathy 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to reset your view on the Quest, you can tap the Oculus button a few times to take you back to the Quest home environment,  reset your view by holding the oculus button as normal, and then resume Oculus Link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The lad who did the guide I posted earlier has a video showing off VD with the new beta - it really is practically flawless. I strongly encourage you to try it and play the game with full 3D untethered locomotion. I'm actually playing in my bedroom two rooms away from my desktop PC over an Orbi access point and it's effectively flawless - the hands are maybe ever so slightly less smooth but they're not jumpy or jittery. I think we're more or less at the point where wireless VR has been solved - surely the next gen headsets will utilise it (maybe with a dedicated access point rather than relying on your router)?

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very jealous if this can run well on the quest untethered as the Vive cable is doing my head in..  Would this Quest untethering apply to other games that usually require the link cable because that would be amazing?  I'm tempted to buy one if this is the case*

 

*when they become available of course

 

in other news I'm on a fairly old system (4670k with a 980ti) which means I'm running on low settings and Alyx still looks fantastic.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moz said:

 

The lad who did the guide I posted earlier has a video showing off VD with the new beta - it really is practically flawless. I strongly encourage you to try it and play the game with full 3D untethered locomotion. I'm actually playing in my bedroom two rooms away from my desktop PC over an Orbi access point and it's effectively flawless - the hands are maybe ever so slightly less smooth but they're not jumpy or jittery. I think we're more or less at the point where wireless VR has been solved - surely the next gen headsets will utilise it (maybe with a dedicated access point rather than relying on your router)?

 

ok sold!! so gonna have to try this!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here!

 

Hey so for someone who can't really handle horror and horror games, those sections in Chapter 3 were so intense that I was almost sick.

 

Felt absolutely wrecked afterwards, but what a game.

 

WHAT A GAME.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.