Half-Life: Alyx

4 hours ago, murray said:

Good question. I've also got the day booked off, and had hoped it would unlock at 00:01 our time.

Also, I've never pre-ordered something from Steam before, but can we pre-load this before launch?

I'm not sure about that. I'm confident it'll be 'just after midnight' but that might be PST or EST rather than UTC. Which would be ok*, as that'd be like 5 or 6am in the UK.

* Well, OK for me. I'm asleep by 10pm normally - no burning the midnight oil for an old fart such as myself.

As for pre-load, all bets are off. Mainly because it's their platform so they can do whatever the fuck they like. I'd assume pre-load would be a good thing for capacity reasons, though, and to incentivise preordering. So I'd expect it to be offered. 

I've always found pre loading on Steam is a collosal waste of time as it then unpacks it all on launch which seemed to take just as long as a normal download!

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

I've always found pre loading on Steam is a collosal waste of time as it then unpacks it all on launch which seemed to take just as long as a normal download!

I pre load mine onto an enterprise grade Intel PCIE SSD. They unlock pretty quickly. :hat:

I imagine the Steam servers are going to take a battering on release day.  Good point about the time of release as I've taken the day off.

53 minutes ago, simms said:

I imagine the Steam servers are going to take a battering on release day.  Good point about the time of release as I've taken the day off.

I reckon it will be fine - I mean, I know everyone who has a VR device of some description will probably be buying it, but those numbers surely aren't going to be in the same league as a typical AAA release? 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, murray said:

10ft USB-C cable ready.

Is this one of those "active", fibre optic cables? How much did it run you?

On 06/03/2020 at 13:44, Fry Crayola said:

I generally find cold air helps when I feel sick, whether that's motion related or otherwise.

Apparently this is an impulse back from when we were living in caves. If you are feeling sick and you go outside, you body thinks you've probably moved away from whatever was making you sick, therefore it reconsiders the need to heave.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

which graphics card is recommended for this? Is a 980 okay? Or is that a bit weedy for this?

I think the minimum spec is a GTX 1060

...so if you go by the logic that as you go "up" generations you roughly jump down one tier performance wise, then a 980 = a 1070 = a 2060  - and you should be fine.

I have a 980Ti and I'm confident that'll work well

• Upvote 1

A slight bum note, if this is true:

The embargo for Half-Life: Alyx reviews lifts as the game arrives at 10am PT on March 23.

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-review-embargo/

Pacific Time is currently PDT which is 7 hours behind, so that means 5pm GMT (UK time) on 23rd :(

If this is true, if you've taken Monday off work just to play this, might be worth cancelling and take the Tuesday instead.