IGNORED

Half-Life: Alyx

Liamness

5 hours ago, murray said:

10ft USB-C cable ready.

Is this one of those "active", fibre optic cables? How much did it run you?

On 06/03/2020 at 13:44, Fry Crayola said:

I generally find cold air helps when I feel sick, whether that's motion related or otherwise.

Apparently this is an impulse back from when we were living in caves. If you are feeling sick and you go outside, you body thinks you've probably moved away from whatever was making you sick, therefore it reconsiders the need to heave.

5 hours ago, Liamness said:

Is this one of those "active", fibre optic cables? How much did it run you?

I got this 10ft/3m cable Amazon for £31.99 in the end.

Before that I bought a 16ft/5m Partylink cable from Amazon.com, but that didn't work via my USB-C port on my graphics card. I could've got a USB-C to USB-A adaptor to test it, but I just sent it back instead.

...so if you go by the logic that as you go "up" generations you roughly jump down one tier performance wise, then a 980 = a 1070 = a 2060  - and you should be fine.

I have a 980Ti and I'm confident that'll work well

A slight bum note, if this is true:

The embargo for Half-Life: Alyx reviews lifts as the game arrives at 10am PT on March 23.

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-review-embargo/

Pacific Time is currently PDT which is 7 hours behind, so that means 5pm GMT (UK time) on 23rd :(

If this is true, if you've taken Monday off work just to play this, might be worth cancelling and take the Tuesday instead.

Interesting, from the looks of Alyx they’ve jumped forward in time.m? If so it will be interesting to see how the narrative has changed. I’m now more interested in that than the actual vr aspect! I’ve always loved hl’s world building.

10 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Interesting, from the looks of Alyx they’ve jumped forward in time.m? If so it will be interesting to see how the narrative has changed. I’m now more interested in that than the actual vr aspect! I’ve always loved hl’s world building.

It’s supposed to be set before HL2. I just think it’s a slightly weird image they have gone with.

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

It’s supposed to be set before HL2. I just think it’s a slightly weird image they have gone with.

Really!? Maybe they play around with time during the game then because that image is definitely a considerably older Alyx. I can't believe it's not intentional. Perhaps if we were in the 80s you'd accept some, shall we say, questionable or mistake laden artwork around games. But the front cover of present day Edge? No, it must be for reals. I'd be bummed if it isn't now. Playing a middle aged or older Alyx, in that time line opens up a lot of interesting story and gameplay routes imo.

On 19/03/2020 at 09:52, Treble said:

A slight bum note, if this is true:

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-review-embargo/

Pacific Time is currently PDT which is 7 hours behind, so that means 5pm GMT (UK time) on 23rd :(

If this is true, if you've taken Monday off work just to play this, might be worth cancelling and take the Tuesday instead.

Thats what I was worried about, cancelled my holiday anyway as I'm now at home and the wife and toddler are also now home so I wouldn't get peace to play it during the day anyway. Looks like I'll just need to play a couple of hours at a time. At least it will spread the experience out a bit!