rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

Oh yeah it is a bit over the top and tbh I only really get it with stuff like Wipeout Omega or Driveclub VR, and then only after a good 30 minutes. I recently spent two hours in Asgard's Wrath without any ill effect.

It's just when I have had it in the past it fucking wipes me out. I am better at reading the signs and nope out as soon as they appear nowadays but like I say I have been twatted in the past so like to be prepared when playing something new.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Shook said:

Some people just don't get the motion-sickness do they? Sounds like @Thor is immune.

I'm definitely more resilient than most, but by no means am I immune. 

Drunkenly play Dirt Rally 2 in VR; go too long in Lone Echo's zero G environments; or Trundle around a planet in an SRV on Elite Dangerous for ages ... eventually I need to take the headset off and have a rest. That's usually me done for the evening then.

Also, any movement when I'm not really expecting it causes nausea, and if the rift crashes suddenly to a still image ... BLEURGH!! 

5 minutes ago, amc said:

Oh yeah it is a bit over the top and tbh I only really get it with stuff like Wipeout Omega or Driveclub VR, and then only after a good 30 minutes. I recently spent two hours in Asgard's Wrath without any ill effect.

See, Wipeout I'm fine with; but I really struggled with the Driveclub demo. 

Best thing I ever did to combat VR nausea was to add a fan to my set up. It’s just a standard desk fan and I leave it on when I use the Rift.

I have definitely grown more resilient but can see how some just don't get on with VR, I was surprised I succumbed to nausea myself, having never once had it in gaming before, but some of the experiences are so incredible I was determined to crack on. So glad I did but can certainly empathise with anyone who tried VR and was put off by nausea. But damn, those games, it's like nothing else.

It does get better though and like Thor can attest to, a lot of people are already born with VR legs.

12 minutes ago, vezna said:

Best thing I ever did to combat VR nausea was to add a fan to my set up. It’s just a standard desk fan and I leave it on when I use the Rift.

Oh yeah, you can add a fan to my box of 'no nausea' tricks too :)

Re the motion sickness it maybe a case of testing yourself with the continuous movement option to see how you feel but don't push if you start to feel sickness.  It just depends on the game, Onward (a VR military sim) seemly has continuous locomotion which works for some who would normally feel sick, perhaps the slow steady speeds helps as I imagine moving around at Doom speeds would probably make most people unwell.

Looking at the lastest Alyx videos the continuous movement mode does seem quite 'slow'.  However I do imagine there maybe more comfort options added for the sensitive types like blacking out the edges of your view upon movement etc

Fortunately I've yet to feel unwell in VR but I probably have my limits somewhere.  The shift locomotive method maybe a happy medium if continuous is a non goer.  Personally for me, teleportation is too jarring so I'm not a fan of that method of movement.

Holy balls this looks fantastic. My only wish would be that I could play it. *Cries in poverty*

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I don't get motion sickness with full twin stick controls. When I first had PSVR I did but gradually it went away and doesn't bother me anymore. One tip that I can offer while playing any VR game is try to have a fan pointing at your face.

:lol: 

Is exactly the conversation I have been having with myself for the last 24hrs. But all those sights and sounds and the memories just come flooding back. 

You can’t buy an Index so there’s no point in torturing yourself. I see the Rift S is out of stock now in various places as well. With the situation in China it’s hard to see an improvement in VR headset stock levels anytime soon. 

So excited for this, I don't know what it is about HL games but they just seem to be able to create a presence that I've never felt in any other game, and from those videos it looks like it's on the money again! 

What will be interesting is just how many of the real world objects you can interact with. The videos make it look like everything is fair game but there must be some limitations. I'm playing walking dead just now and it's a bit frustrating how many items and objects you just can't do anything with. 

I'll be playing on Quest with link, I was debating about getting an index just for this then selling it again afterwards but given you can't get them anyway it's thankfully no longer an option. My bank balance and marriage is safe...

• Upvote 1

There’s a handful of Valve Index full kits on eBay. Start at £1,395.00. :blink2:

33 minutes ago, vezna said:

There’s a handful of Valve Index full kits on eBay. Start at £1,395.00. :blink2:

Bloody shysters... 

I previously registered my interest and they emailed me. My email specifically mentions that they expect to sell out same day. No surprise there to be fair. 

Most of IGNs recently released gameplay videos have the no movement mode enabled. (I.e you point and teleport on the spot) 

Why would anyone play it this way? Is it a limitation to certain headsets? 

I presume this will affect gameplay and enemies AI quite a lot. Free motion vs spot motion will completely vary play styles. You could potentially easily cheat enemies by teleporting around. So I'm assuming it'll be a lot more puzzle based, in small areas with  a lack of close quarter combat. 

May be. 

Looks stunning. 

7 minutes ago, three1ne said:

Most of IGNs recently released gameplay videos have the no movement mode enabled. (I.e you point and teleport on the spot) 

Why would anyone play it this way? Is it a limitation to certain headsets? 

It heavily reduces motion sickness if you suffer from it.

Then that's a great reason to have it but it's odd to release videos promoting it/reviewing it this way. 

Posted (edited)

This does look incredible. I've never played the original Half Life, but have played 2 and the following episodes. Absolutely loved it. Sadly I don't have a PC capable of running this and I only have PSVR. Looks like I'll be watching this rather than playing it, something I've never done before.

I do get the second tranche of my bonus in April, hmmm........

Edited by skondo

2 hours ago, three1ne said:

You could potentially easily cheat enemies by teleporting around.

It'll be interesting to see this in action. The only combat game I've played in VR is Robo Recall, where teleporting is the only movement mode available, so it's never felt like a cheat when you get behind a robot, use it as a human shield, snap its head off and throw it at another bot.

40 minutes ago, three1ne said:

Then that's a great reason to have it but it's odd to release videos promoting it/reviewing it this way. 

It's been a big discussion point as originally it was rumoured that it's all that was planned to be supported, they added free locomotion at a late stage by all accounts, so it's no surprise to see them show all 3 modes in the released footage.

I'm in two minds about it really, it does break the immersion somewhat but so does the 'floating around on a cushion of air' effect you get from free locomotion (for me anyway). 

This interview with Valve just popped up. Answers (or at least part-answers) about movement amongst other stuff. Worth a watch.

No new footage or spoilers btw, but if you avoided the last set of gameplay videos, avoid as it has those in it.

• Upvote 3

:lol:

Does anyone have any idea what time it will be released on the 23rd? I know it's a daft question but I'm currently planning on taking the day off but wouldn't want to end up sitting around waiting for it to be enabled at 9am US time or something.

• Upvote 1

Good question. I've also got the day booked off, and had hoped it would unlock at 00:01 our time.

Also, I've never pre-ordered something from Steam before, but can we pre-load this before launch?

On 03/03/2020 at 14:26, vezna said:

Interesting, could you explain how this helps?

35 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Interesting, could you explain how this helps?

I’ve no idea in all honesty. It’s a recommendation I read elsewhere and it worked for me. I’m not sure of the ‘science’ behind the concept but I found it very beneficial. VR and a warm room are not an ideal match for multiple reasons.