Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's not like the game needs it. Eternal seller innit.

I realise that but an embargo to prohibit reviews appearing even after a product is out is so fucking odd.

Does this happen anywhere else apart from in games industry?

It's so shady.

Anyone getting this on Xbox Series X (possibly PS5 as well), it seems that it doesn't necessarily automatically download the right version. People on Reddit saying that they realised they're playing the One X backawards compatible version and that seems to be the one that that's constantly causing their console to shut off. Make sure your game file size is 130gb and not 80gb when you check it.

Very disappointed by the Series X version. I hadn't been following any of the hoo ha about development but upon loading I was taken aback by how it didn't look as good as Modern Warfare.

I foolishly expected it to be the next gen showcase but in game objects only have screen space reflections, making for some odd looking scenes. I know Watch Dogs Legion has a hyper stylised approach to ray traced reflections but at least they're there.

You certain you're playing the next generation version? Even Jack Frags downloaded the last gen version on his PS5 and had to go and make sure he went and downloaded the bigger file size version manually.

saying that, I've read other impressions that the next gen versions aren't impressive and don't think I've read one impression of the PS5 haptics in the wild, which suggests they're not particularly impressive for this game.

Yep, definitely the next gen version. It has the X|S logo on the game icon, the "raytracing data" installed (up to 11.8GB?) in the game management screen and raytracing was definitely enabled in the game's video settings.

At one point where you take controller of a helicopter, the image quality was so grimy that I thought they were doing an MGS4 Shadow Moses style flashback, trying to evoke the original Black Ops graphics.

Given the state of the world right now, it would have made more sense to skip a year, as I'm sure it's impacted its final 10 months. Activision and its shareholders don't agree though.

Of course there is also the possibility it was a turd from year 1 of its development...

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yep, definitely the next gen version. It has the X|S logo on the game icon, the "raytracing data" installed (up to 11.8GB?) in the game management screen and raytracing was definitely enabled in the game's video settings.

At one point where you take controller of a helicopter, the image quality was so grimy that I thought they were doing an MGS4 Shadow Moses style flashback, trying to evoke the original Black Ops graphics.

this is why I was asking yesterday. I read this on the Activision Q&AF147F2A6-A580-4E01-ACC7-E0DE66CEC869.thumb.jpeg.70a49050c642ba8e13c4503294853abd.jpeg

Clearly the only way to play this game on release date is digitally. 

Activision did the usual bullshit by preventing physical copies being dispatched by retailers until Thursday, which works badly most of the time, but during a global pandemic, even worse! (SimplyGames here, but any service/shop using the RM would have a similar experience I'd imagine)

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Man, this is... quite good? Shooting people will never get old.

Right?!

I totally got caught up in all the drama and am a bit disappointed in myself for doing so.

This is a right laugh!

It's easy to be disappointed when you switch your region to new Zealand to play early but none of your mates do the same :lol:

But now tonight with a group of us this is great! Totally loving it!

Level 20 now.  Yep really, really enjoying this so far especially as I had zero expectations going in given the limited development background.

The graphics and overall engine are definitely nowhere near as polished as MW, but I'm really enjoying the gameplay and maps quite a bit nonetheless (Checkmate, Moscow and smaller versions of the Ground War maps are excellent).  Unfortunately, there's only 10 maps at the moment, but Treyarch have said that they're going to be releasing new free ones quite regularly, starting with another Nuketown in December.

Campaign is phenomenal so far too.  Haven't tried Zombies yet but early reports from notable steamers like NoahJ are that it's fantastic.

Overall, a really good effort considering they had a year less.  I just hate that you can't just jump into Warzone anymore from the main menu.

21 hours ago, Dave White said:

what....

maps man come on, in comparison to anything that's come before the offering is a disgrace.

I mean, I can say I hate it and I'm not having a good time if you like Dave ;)

More maps would of course been brill but I’m sure they’ll come. Everything else is in place.

...I sorta fell in love right after noticing Forest (and my childhood personal top 3 players are playing on TV in game Viv Anderson/Kenny Burns/Shilts).

Image[978].jpeg

7 hours ago, Omizzay said:

I just hate that you can't just jump into Warzone anymore from the main menu.

Meanwhile over at the MW end of the menu, its a shitshow. When you load the game the first option selected for you is Cold War to purchase, not the game you've already paid for, booted and want to play. 

The installation on PS4 now resembles something like Microsoft Windows with add/remove of options. Absolutely bizzare. As a non-Warzone player, it annoys me I can't get rid of it

Having a lot of fun with this. I stuck the Campaign on ‘Realistic’ which is the hardest setting for a laugh, and it turns out it’s pretty easy. Weird.

The multiplayer isn’t going to set the world alight, but it’s still fun.

All in all, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Not going to stink the thread up with my grumblings much longer  but ended up with a forgotten pre order and just couldn’t resist.  

Still had the micro stutter everything feels so off and sorry but the maps are horrendous.  Sold it 

covid of duty 2020 

Well...they certainly did not polish up the ps4 pro version at all...how bad does this look compared to MW and even COD MW remaster...maybe trying to capture that CRT look (yeah, thats it).

Multiplayer seems decent, and I have said that about very few CODs since MW2.