Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Anyone been playing the beta?

I've pretty much been playing it non-stop the whole weekend and overall it's a little rough IMO.

- Everyone seems to be a COD god now: skill based matchmaking means that if you do well in a few rounds, you will be put up against pro level gamers in the following couple of matches.  Such a ridiculous system Activision has now.

- It's kind of hard to see enemies. especially on maps like Miami.  And what were they thinking about putting those giant bushes in the middle of Cartel?

- The lag seems to be pretty bad, especially when you turn up your FOV.

- The ground war mode isn't great.

Anyways, I'm hopeful that Treyarch still has time to turn it around.  I loved Modern Warfare and just wished they could've just built on top of that game, but what can you do?

This is fine you know? I mean - I had fun, but it feels like the game that should have been released before Modern Warfare was - there's just little things, and I can't really even put my finger on them, but it feels like a step backwards somehow. It really feels like this should have been the last CoD game with MW being the full "reboot".

I keep looking for doors to close / open, I am double clicking the stick to sprint, looking for a spawn point on ground war - just little things like that whilst not big, just combined feels all wrong.

I had to see if there had been any improvements made since the alpha.

The new snow map crossroads is a mixed bag, its  the best out of the lot but the inclusion of tanks is just stupid and massively affects the game in such a negative way that it doesn't feel like cod. I have no problem with sniper maps as long as they're well thought out, the train track overwatch gives such an advantage to the team that spawns nearest its ridiculous.

Ive said this before but my main problem is something is badly off with the movement and targeting and the most alarming thing is there seems to be some kind of micro stutter going on. Its utterly ruining the game. Using long rage scopes,  enemies judder and slide and its nigh on impossible too hit them. The hit boxes and bullets feel wrong.

Whether its the effect of covid or just a total rush job, its utterly soulless and compared to last years reboot this feels like a budget game in comparison. 

I cant see how this could be improved in 3 weeks as the problems lie far deeper than the net code. 

Thankfully, Warzone is going to retain it's engine but take some assets inspired by Cold War so I imagine it will be a thematic change. 

Having said that, I'm still very much enjoying the Beta, although I feel like it'll be a reasonable stop gap until the next Infinity War release.

Really enjoying the beta and I’ve preordered the game on Xbox. It’s not a smart delivery title is it? I should cancel the standard preorder and reorder the Series X version ?

25 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Really enjoying the beta and I’ve preordered the game on Xbox. It’s not a smart delivery title is it? I should cancel the standard preorder and reorder the Series X version ?

Yup, there is a current gen version for £60 and then a cross gen version for £65.

50 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Yup, there is a current gen version for £60 and then a cross gen version for £65.

Cheers. strangely I didn’t think much of the alpha but really enjoyed my time with the beta this weekend. 

I made it to level 40 on the beta last night. Using the M16 with a ton of attachments, and I'm having a load of fun. 

I think it looks and plays great on 1X. Looking forward to seeing it on Series X.

I've been playing this tonight, and it's just thoroughly meh. Dirty bomb is godawful, it's a total mess.

I can't even be bothered to type what I think about the whole thing, it feels like a free to play shooter that's main aim is to harvest your email address.

21 hours ago, Bonzai1888 said:

Beta feels better than the alpha, but it is one ugly, ugly game.

Going to take a lot of polish to smarten this up.

I think they've done it on purpose, so that when the next gen versions come out, they look absolutely amazing.  Kind of like what NBA2K did.