Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

I actually bought this in the end, I watched a couple of videos after launch and it looked much improved from the beta. I played it for a couple of weeks, got to prestige 1 and played a load of zombies. Nuketown came out, and I rinsed the double xp for a day or so and I realised that I simply do not give a fuck about prestiging, levelling the weapons and progressing. I just do not care.

This game isn't finished, the animations are bad, the maps are bad, the movement is bad. It's shit.

The maps needed more polish before releasing this game, when you spawn in on moscow and miami you have no idea which direction you're facing, everything looks exactly the same in every direction. You have to run for a few seconds to actually work out where you are and that shouldn't ever be the case. I don't design maps for a living and I know that, but someone has been paid to produce these maps, which are mostly terrible.

The unlocks for weapons took an absolute age at the start, and it was a while before they tweaked the weapon xp so that you felt like you were actually progressing. The useful unlocks are so far in that it can be a nightmare having to persevere with a godawful gun, just to get it to the point where it's performing.

I played tonight and first match I played I got rinsed on a dom map by a team who could take the points at will, my team were headless chickens and I couldn't even spawn without getting killed within 5 seconds. After that I got put into a match with someone who looked to be aimbotting, and his team camped the spawns, literally camping in the same room our team was spawning in, like the alley glitch in shoothouse. Then I got put into a match on miami where I got a 7 kill streak before I figured out which side of the map I'd been spawned on. The skill based match making turns each match into feast or famine, and nothing inbetween, and it just isn't fun any more.

The movement is terrible, you can run in a straight line but the strafing feels different from MW, it feels like you're funneled into a straight line. Mantling is really slow and dropshotting doesn't work any more.

It's a joke and I paid £50 for it, and I don't want to play it again. It's a shit game IMO.

11 hours ago, U2031 said:

I actually bought this in the end, I watched a couple of videos after launch and it looked much improved from the beta. I played it for a couple of weeks, got to prestige 1 and played a load of zombies. Nuketown came out, and I rinsed the double xp for a day or so and I realised that I simply do not give a fuck about prestiging, levelling the weapons and progressing. I just do not care.

This game isn't finished, the animations are bad, the maps are bad, the movement is bad. It's shit.

The maps needed more polish before releasing this game, when you spawn in on moscow and miami you have no idea which direction you're facing, everything looks exactly the same in every direction. You have to run for a few seconds to actually work out where you are and that shouldn't ever be the case. I don't design maps for a living and I know that, but someone has been paid to produce these maps, which are mostly terrible.

The unlocks for weapons took an absolute age at the start, and it was a while before they tweaked the weapon xp so that you felt like you were actually progressing. The useful unlocks are so far in that it can be a nightmare having to persevere with a godawful gun, just to get it to the point where it's performing.

I played tonight and first match I played I got rinsed on a dom map by a team who could take the points at will, my team were headless chickens and I couldn't even spawn without getting killed within 5 seconds. After that I got put into a match with someone who looked to be aimbotting, and his team camped the spawns, literally camping in the same room our team was spawning in, like the alley glitch in shoothouse. Then I got put into a match on miami where I got a 7 kill streak before I figured out which side of the map I'd been spawned on. The skill based match making turns each match into feast or famine, and nothing inbetween, and it just isn't fun any more.

The movement is terrible, you can run in a straight line but the strafing feels different from MW, it feels like you're funneled into a straight line. Mantling is really slow and dropshotting doesn't work any more.

It's a joke and I paid £50 for it, and I don't want to play it again. It's a shit game IMO.

Sounds like you just aren’t very good at it...

5 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Sounds like you just aren’t very good at it...

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't think it's a finished product. The first two games I get smashed, and then the next game, I get to do the smashing, there's just nothing inbetween. The barracks says I'm at 1.16 KD, so just above average, but 1.76 win ratio means TEAM PLAYER!

Untitled-1.jpg.ef5d2e97d9b041c6983611e6908fccff.jpg

17 hours ago, U2031 said:

It's shit.

Two schools of thought, either it was always going to be shit (some think this), or became a bit shit due to the global pandemic. Only time will tell in the next 18 months-2years if all games are somehow of similar stature. I've no idea, but if the current (global) situation is anything to go by, it has to be factor. Its one of those first world problems I'm afraid, you either like it or loathe it.

Personally its a great quick-go game during my lunch break, where I can retreat for an hour and shoot people on a TV screen, which in-fact is a great stress reliever than sitting on Teams/Skype/Zoom calls where you want to tell everyone to fuck off eventually. 

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

Since the patch I'm constantly being dropped into games in progress.

This used to happen a hell of a lot more in MW than this for me. Constantly made me join games with about 4 minutes left and 15 kills behind. Its not been so bad with Cold War for me, but I only play FFA mode. If I ever end up joining a session in progress it will usually be my first game from booting it up, after that it has been fine for me. 

I'm not sure what happened during the last week or so, but when the last patch was applied the map selection/choice part stopped working. I had originally mixed feelings about this, but then I liked it, mostly because getting into the next match was quick, really quick. On average between finishing one match and getting into another it was between about 15-20 seconds and back into another match. Amazing. 

Now its been menu-updated(?) I think (when it does that checking files thing) and the map selection part has popped back in, meaning its now a bit longer again to get another match. 

Still, with either system, its a lot faster than MW was at getting a game, that was awful in the end. One person quitting out of the countdown and the whole process starts again. 

Probably worth mentioning how I equate a game to being either a waste of money or worth my money. 

Every summer, for a few days at least, I used to go to arcades and push 10p-a-go into a coin-op classic. Then they started to become 20p a go, and once OutRun and all those custom cabs came on the scene, it was a £1 a go in the end. 

Depending on what generation you grew up in the arcades, would pay-to-play be a fairer system? Insert 10p for a go, or £1 for a go? Either way, what is provided here in games like these with such a complex amount of moving parts and modes (of which admittedly I use about 5% of what they actually offer), it is vast. Its no OutRun of course, but then that was a straight laced 1p with a handful of variants, and you win the game and it comes up GAME OVER, not even a repeat play.

In old terms then: 10p a go = 550 plays / 20p a go = 275 plays / £1 a go = 55 plays. 

Am I going to ever play 550 online matches? Who knows. Will I play 275, yeah probably. 

They are also updating the game throughout the year with free maps, so its expanding again thankfully for nought over your original £55 outlay. 

At the moment I'm still pushing 10p's in every day since I bought this and will no doubt see some value for money out of this. Which is more than can be said for the coin op classics like Pole Position, which I think was proven that it was fucking impossible to come first in, even after pumping about £10 into it over the years.

I think a few of the maps in this are utterly shit and MW defi has better maps but a lot of those are from the best in the series anyway....

However, I could play nuke town all day long, I like all the modes on it and a decent variety of guns on it - I shoukd despise the game especially with all the issues it has but I’m really enjoying it for some brainless fun - I assume it helps that I don’t really care about playing it seriously or what my k/d is (as long as it’s over 1 of course ;)) so just fire it up to escape for a bit and shoot some peeps in the face!

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Any ideas if the patch has sorted out the crashing and FPS issues?

I had my first ever frame dips on the PS5 version after the patch :lol: i thought the game or console had completely locked up it was a solid 2/3 second freeze then it just started moving again, completely bizarre.

31 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I had my first ever frame dips on the PS5 version after the patch :lol: i thought the game or console had completely locked up it was a solid 2/3 second freeze then it just started moving again, completely bizarre.

What a mess this game it, I really like it but they should have had it sorted by now!

50 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'm getting the same too, happening every game now and at least 3-4 times per round

It wasn't doing this before the update

Last night was not the most pleasant time to grind out the remaining prestige levels but I managed it. On top of the dreadful performance and resetting all settings again, it wasn’t letting me add all six perks to the Greed wildcard.

It was obvious everyone was experiencing the same issues though so it was an interesting new mode of guess your frame rate and the next lag spike and try to work around it.