rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stanshall

Games You Just Never Got Round To

...but maybe people could convince you why you should.

Resident Evil 2 Remake 

I never really played the original, or any RE aside from a formative experience with the first game at release and an even more brilliant time with RE4 on the Wii. I probably played a bit of the opening to RE2 back in the day, I remember flames and a bus and the police station entrance but that's it. And I have hovered over the checkout button with the REmake so many times but just haven't taken the plunge, even at twenty quid. It just sounds a bit frustrating to be pursued by a baddie you can't kill and I bristle at the idea of managing ammo. Am I a dunce?

Yoshi's Crafted World 

I got burned by Kirby's Star Allies because I don't have kids and I don't like Kirby aside from the Wii game which I enjoyed for about an hour, tops. I've never really played Yoshi's Island (soz) or any other Yoshi game (that I can think of) and I found the demo of this pleasant but a bit kiddy. I don't want an endgame collectathon style challenge, I want the main game to be enjoyable as it is. Nevertheless, I feel I should experience every first party Nintendo game because there must be nuggets of premium quality gaming in there. Never quite got round to it, though, it just seems like a game for kids, essentially, and while I have nothing against that, fool me once, etc. Am I a dunce? 

• Upvote 1

Prey (2017). Bought it not long after it came out and by all accounts it's great, but for reasons beyond me it has always been pushed aside. I really need to get round to it but I've been saying that for two years.

Same applies to Dishonoured. Bought the goty in a steam sale in 2015. Never even installed it.

REmake is amazing btw.

• Upvote 2

Yoshi I found to be perfectly pleasant but lacked something. I’d play it for half an hour and then have no motivation to play it anymore. I felt like I was forcing myself to enjoy it. I don’t think you’re missing out.

• Upvote 1

98% of the gameplay in FF Tactics Advance. There’s just too much in there so every time I went back to it I couldn’t remember what my plans for my characters were. I think I would really like it if I had the time and focus!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Resident Evil 2 Remake 

I never really played the original, or any RE aside from a formative experience with the first game at release and an even more brilliant time with RE4 on the Wii. I probably played a bit of the opening to RE2 back in the day, I remember flames and a bus and the police station entrance but that's it. And I have hovered over the checkout button with the REmake so many times but just haven't taken the plunge, even at twenty quid. It just sounds a bit frustrating to be pursued by a baddie you can't kill and I bristle at the idea of managing ammo. Am I a dunce?

If you played and enjoyed the first game then I'd say you'd definitely enjoy the second as they're very similar. It's got far more in common with 1 than it does with 4. Being chased by the invincible baddie is enjoyably tense more that frustrating, and only occurs in one section of the game. Overall, as someone who similarly can't remember much about the original PS1 game, I enjoyed it a lot and would definitely recommend it. The gameplay feels a bit shallow in places, and I don't think it's quite as amazing as some people have made it out to be (the recent Golden Joystick award it received raised an eyebrow), but it's very engaging, extremely polished and, at 14 hours for back-to-back runs with both characters, definitely doesn't outstay its welcome. It's number 2, after Sekiro, in my GOTY list.

26 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Prey (2017). Bought it not long after it came out and by all accounts it's great, but for reasons beyond me it has always been pushed aside. I really need to get round to it but I've been saying that for two years.

Same applies to Dishonoured. Bought the goty in a steam sale in 2015. Never even installed it.

Dishonoured is fantastic and should be played immediately, along with its DLC. Prey, made by the same developers and using the same engine, is very similar to Dishonoured in lots of ways but the combat isn't as good and it drags towards the end. They're both great games but I wouldn't play them one after the other as you might find that their similarities cause you to get immersive sim fatigued.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Dishonoured is fantastic and should be played immediately, along with its DLC. Prey, made by the same developers and using the same engine, is very similar to Dishonoured in lots of ways but the combat isn't as good and it drags towards the end.

That's doing Prey a massive disservice imo. It would be more accurate to say that Dishonored is Arkane's take on Thief, and Prey is their take on System Shock. The former is a stealth game primarily, while the second is whatever you would classify System Shock as - immersive sim will do. BioShock was a heavily streamlined/simplified version of that.

Edit: sorry for going off topic! I bought Re2 Remake on release day and still haven't even installed it. But I'm definitely planning to. Sometime.

• Upvote 7

Spiderman PS4

Friend lent me this recently, I almost bounced off it since as visually spectacular as the opening is, I felt it played really really badly.

I stuck with it and have to say, it's bananas good. Simply brilliant, the traversal is incredible and I think the combat is some of the best I've ever played (I never managed to master the bayonetta combat / moveset) where the upgrades feel intuitive and rewarding.

• Upvote 1

I went through a terrible period of buying games that I never had time for. Some I don’t care about now but I’d still like to go back and play:

Eternal Sonata

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Xenoblade Chronicles

XC will finally get played when the Switch remaster comes out.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's doing Prey a massive disservice imo. It would be more accurate to say that Dishonored is Arkane's take on Thief, and Prey is their take on System Shock. The former is a stealth game primarily, while the second is whatever you would classify System Shock as - immersive sim will do. BioShock was a heavily streamlined/simplified version of that.

I'm too young (sorry) to have ever properly played Thief or System Shock, but I've heard other people make the comparisons between these games before. I played Dishonoured stealthily and Prey stealthily and the entire time I was playing the latter I was thinking to myself "This is just like Dishonoured but in space". If I'd played either game in a different way then I may well have felt differently. I don't think it's a "massive disservice" to Prey to say that it's similar to Dishonoured, though; as I say, they're both good games, it's just that the similarities between them meant that Prey suffered slightly by comparison.

By "get around to" can we include games we haven't bought but like the look of? I've probably got a ton...

Monster Hunter World

I didn't like the PSP games but I loved the beta of this... but I never played more than the beta and it just kind of got left behind. It looks like one of the more accessible Monster Hunter games in recent times, as well as one of the more... er, better-produced? Also it was the first game I played since Freedom Unite so I missed out on a lot of evolution in between...

Dissidia NT

Again - I loved Dissidia on PSP and I had some fun with a trial of this new game; the team dynamic was interesting and there was just enough of the old PSP Dissidia DNA for me to know what I'm doing (and I'm a big fan of the central bravery points/hit points system.)  However, I think it released around the same time as DragonBall FighterZ and I didn't want to commit my spare time to two wildly-different in-depth fighters. Speaking of which...

Pocket Rumble

I'm a fan of fighting games that have a streamlined control system but enough variety for matches to be interesting - I bought Divekick, Nidhogg, etc - but this one kind of came and went without me taking much interest. Also, I wouldn't normally bother with lil' indie fighters that much but recently I've found myself trying to talk my nephew into playing fighters with me... so local play is becoming more frequent and I'm trying to seek out new local fighters!

Any Persona Dancing game

Yes, I've played all of the games in the mainline series, and the fighters are pretty good as well, but these just seem like a spin-off too far. And don't get me wrong, I love the music, but I don't know if I love it enough to buy a whole rhythm game around the music. Wait... three whole rhythm games. I mean, something like Superbeat Xonic has a music selection that's more of a mixed bag, but I find the gameplay of that infinitely more interesting, so :P 

Nex Machina

This game looks so good, and I'm a huge fan of Housemarque's other games, but I still haven't picked this up because I'm some kind of idiot. I remember when I saw that initial debut trailer and was blown away by how frantic the gameplay looked and how pretty the voxels were... I had played a bit of Resogun but running and shooting looked much more immediately entertaining. However, I still haven't picked it up...

Polybius

As with Housemarque, I'm a sucker for Llamasoft titles - TxK was my game of the year for that year, and I grew to like Space Giraffe after a while, but I still haven't tried this. And I'm one o those PSVR owners who haven't sold their headset yet, so yay. Come to think of it, there are probably a bunch of VR titles I haven't got around to that I could include in this list...

Also I tend to pick one main platform per generation so there are a ton of exclusives I haven't played for Switch, 3DS, WiiU, PS3, Wii, Xbox One...

I bought quite a few PC-exclusive games about four years ago in Steam sales and from Humble Bundles and GoG - stuff that was quite old at the time but I thought would run on my no-frills laptop. Things like STALKER, Deponia, Sang-Froid, FEAR, and loads of other games I got for about £2-5.

Never played any of them and I doubt I ever will. I think it was the faff that put my off. Installing the game and getting it running in the first place, then connecting it to my TV, fiddling with the display settings, configuring the controllers, etc., it was too much like hard work and reminded me why I don't PC game in the first place.

It's a shame as there are lots of PC-only games that sound right up my street and get lauded to the high heavens, but lots of them see console ports now anyway, I suppose, and they're all still there in various digital libraries for me to (not) play at some point in the future.

I could just copy&paste my pile of shame. Literally -- I wrote it down in a text file to keep track of 1) The games I haven't bought but kind of want, and 2) The games I bought but haven't started.

One big reason why games pile up unplayed is probably relevance. It shouldn't matter, it's illogical! But once a game is a couple of years old it feels... undesirable. Some of the motive to play it has gone. I think there's a social factor involved now, where you need to feel that other people are playing it too. Once the forum thread peters out, the game has "passed". Then if you wait too long, the next game in the series comes out. For example I didn't get round to Assassins Creed Origins, so a year later when Odyssey came out it felt downright inappropriate to still care about playing Origins. I've had the same thing happen with Far Cry, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein.

I think the ultimate albatross in my pile of shame is Breath of the Wild. I've had a Switch for two years, with a £55 purchase of BOTW ready to go the whole time. Never started. It taunts me. Every time I start something else, I must mentally put BOTW back to "The next game, I promise, I swear." But it's never the next game. Two Christmasses in a row were "The Christmas I play BOTW", and now Christmas 2019 will come and go the same way. Perhaps it's because I know it's a timesink game, and I always prioritise shorter games first... but all games are shorter... even a 50-hour RPG must come first, because I know you get stuck into BOTW for 100 hours at least. Or perhaps I think BOTW is too weird and I won't even like it, so I want to delay the awkward 30-hour process of "trying to like it" and feeling like I failed.

• Upvote 3

I bought Metal Gear Acid on the PSP. Sat down and played it for two hours. I remember thinking this is great and yet I’ve never gone back. That was over 14 years ago. I still own the game too with the intention of one day playing it again.

• Upvote 2

Amnesia Collection, Assassins Creed Freedom Cry, Batman Arkham Knight, Beyond Two Souls, Bloodborne, Borderlands The Handsome Collection, Conan Exiles, Darksiders 2 & 3, Detroit Become Human, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, For Honor, Friday the 13th The Game, God of War 3 Remastered, Heavy Rain, Injustice God’s Among Us, Just Cause 3, Knack, Life is Strange, Mad Max, Mafia 3, Nioh, Outlast 2, Ratchet & Clank, Rayman Legends, Rime, Sniper Elite 4, Soma, Steep, The Witness, Trackmania Turbo, Tropico 5, Wipeout Omega Collection, Worms Battlegrounds, Yakuza Kiwami & Zombi

Thats my unplayed PS Plus games...

Last few years it’s been all Battlefront 1 & 2, Battlefield 1 & V & Modern Warfare Online, with a bit of Red Dead, Far Cry & Tomb Raider Single player in between 

Games I've bought and either not started, or got a negligible distance into:

- Resident Evil 4 (360)

- Sonic Mania Plus (PC - as much as I loved the base game, I still haven't played much of the Plus/Encore DLC)

- Braid (PC)

- Splinter Cell Blacklist (360)

- Sam & Max Hit the Road and The Curse of Monkey Island (PC - I spent years wishing I could play these, when they were out of print. Then they got re-released, I bought them on GOG... and never got round to them)

Also, almost everything in the Xbox 360 section of this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

Especially:

- All the Assassin's Creeds (I played about two hours of II and that's it)

- All the Gears of Wars (I played through the first one on disc when I first got a 360 and wasn't keen on it, but I've always been vaguely intending to try the sequels)

- Saint's Row the Third and IV

- Dishonored

- Sniper Elite V2

- Tomb Raider reboot

- BioShock Infinite

- Deus Ex Human Revolution

- Beyond Good and Evil

- Far Cry 3

- Vanquish

- All the Hitman games

- All the EDF games

Ok let’s look at some significant entries. 

The entirety of Metal Gear Solid series. I’ve played the demo of the first game when it came out and loved the look of it. But just never played it. It’s one of those that I won’t play at all unless I play it in order of release. There’s always something else though in my way and I think oh I’ll go back to it one day. 

I also did did a similar thing with Resident Evil and never played any from 4 and beyond. I’ve finally played Remake not long back and currently just started Zero (also picker in Retro Game Club right now). I’d also add Silent Hill 3 and beyond as I only played 1 & 2. Even 2 was in this situation for so long as I’d played it finally about 7 years ago for the first time, way way after launch. Again that was one of always wanted to check out. 

Dark Souls. I’ve played Demon’s and finished it and even own Dark Souls, but the fear is holding me back. I keep thinking I need to be ready, and then don’t bother and play something else instead. This extends to bloodbourne which I won’t play until I’ve done Dark Soul’s.

These are just a tiny fraction of never got round to games but all of which are really in my want to play list.

19 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I think the ultimate albatross in my pile of shame is Breath of the Wild. I've had a Switch for two years, with a £55 purchase of BOTW ready to go the whole time. Never started. It taunts me. Every time I start something else, I must mentally put BOTW back to "The next game, I promise, I swear." But it's never the next game. Two Christmasses in a row were "The Christmas I play BOTW", and now Christmas 2019 will come and go the same way. Perhaps it's because I know it's a timesink game, and I always prioritise shorter games first... but all games are shorter... even a 50-hour RPG must come first, because I know you get stuck into BOTW for 100 hours at least. Or perhaps I think BOTW is too weird and I won't even like it, so I want to delay the awkward 30-hour process of "trying to like it" and feeling like I failed.

I *totally* get this, but man just spark it up tonight and give it a go.

Okami. I keep re-buying it in sales with each new generation and I still haven't played it. I don't know what's holding me back- maybe I'll finally get around to it on Switch.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Okami. I keep re-buying it in sales with each new generation and I still haven't played it. I don't know what's holding me back- maybe I'll finally get around to it on Switch.

I played Okami earlier this year for the first time on the Switch but, post-BotW, ended up getting bored, unfortunately.

As @SqueakyG suggests above, I think lots of games have a sort of 'play by date' where if you don't play them by a certain time they get eclipsed by later games in the same series or games from different series which refine and polish the seminal game's systems. This is why playing retro games I've never experienced before doesn't appeal to me, as without nostalgia to cushion the blow I find that most of them aren't especially fun to play, even if I can appreciate why they're important to gaming in general.

Inclined to agree. I finished Phantasy Star on Switch recently and while I liked the game and appreciated QoL additions like the automap, I reached a point where I felt that there were elements that are simply too obtuse for a modern audience- rigidly defined sequences of character interactions, some aimless wandering to find out what to do next, etc. I don't like to be spoon-fed but I also don't like to waste hours of my time wandering around in circles and clearing out the same dungeons over and over again out of a misplaced sense of pride.

On 17/11/2019 at 10:44, Gizamaluke said:

REmake is amazing btw.

Well, I'll be finally getting round to it now. Remake 2 is 14 quid in the XB BF sale. 

Also getting round to Katamari Damacy and Assault Android Cactus on the Switch which I've been tempted by ever since release. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Assault Android Cactus is a bit of a hidden gem. I got it with Xbox live gold and thought it looked naff, but it's a nice wee twin stick shooter in the Smash TV mould. 

How is it structured - is it a high-score chaser, like Nex Machina, or does it have a story mode, of sorts, with lots of levels and bosses?

• Upvote 1

@Stanshall You know when you say games you just never got round to, I assumed from the title you meant like something that came out ages ago years back but never got on it rather than the likes of Resident Evil 2 Remake which was this year and still very relevant and obtainable. That’s especially if it means anything to you to play still. Often I see some older ones where I feel like I’ve missed the boat due to the age of the game and how things have  progressed since. Sometimes I really do get into games from the past years later but for example I don’t think I’d appreciate say Shen Mue if I was to play it now in quite the same way. I’ve not played RE2 Remake either but I can guarantee I will. 

Id have to add a few in here like maybe the Elderscrolls games which I wanted to but feel I’ve done with that now. It’s past and I’m not really interested. I don’t think I’d get on with them especially if they are like Fallout but magic based as I burnt myself out on FO and can’t deal with another game quite as huge. Horizon Zero Dawn is one I’ve got a hankering to pick up and play as my next open world thing. 

Im also gonna mention Okami in here as I’ve got the physical PS2 version bought from someone on here 6 or so years ago and yet I feel like I can’t play it as I see people mention how it’s long or boring these days. 

Ive just realised that @Jamie John has pretty much reiterated what I talked about with some games having that limited shelf life. It all depends on what you have personally played and how often you play things. The general life order of games is important and those situations where you play a future game with a genius mechanic invented originally in an earlier title, can dampen the effect if you later go back. It’s annoying too as you can’t make the appreciation that others want you to make in quite the same way either. Most ppl new to Deus Ex I cant imagine would be moved in quite the same way I was with the first. I even played that 4 years after launch but it was perfect having only really played mainly ps1 games and N64 titles until that point. It was ground breaking and will forever remain a fond memory. 

Tell you what what worries the most though, the fact I love RE but haven’t played 4 or any beyond. Currently I’m playing 0 for the first time right now lol. Worried I’m just not going to appreciate 4 like I could have potentially done. 

• Upvote 1

@Soulstar Good post, and yeah, somewhat dramatic phrasing of 'never got round to' when it's a game from about eight months ago. I think it's because I've probably thought about buying it every week since release.

Turns out it's too scary for me. 

Was going to play RE 2 remake a month ago but got sidetracked. I'm also currently downloading Astrobot which cost a princely 12.99 on the PS Black Friday thing. I'd say that's a decent few nights over Christmas when Death Stranding's out the way.

10 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Turns out it's too scary for me. 

Really? Which bit?

If it gives you the willies that much, just run through everything screaming so you know where the jump scares are, then reload your save. That's how I got through SOMA :ph34r: