rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Games You Should've Liked, But Didn't

I'm currently playing The Outer Worlds on GamePass. It's leaving me a bit cold and for the life of me I can't say why. On the surface it's a game doing a bunch of things I likes. I'm a sucker for RPG's with a focus on story and player choice. I love planet hopping sci-fi settings. It's not even that I even actively dislike it or anything, it’s just when I'm playing it I find myself drawn to check my phone or thinking about what I could be watching on telly instead. But I couldn’t tell you what's actually causing this reaction for the life of me.

Any of you fine people have any similar game experiences. To be clear, I'm talking about games that by all rights you should have loved, but for some reason just didn't. Not the usual thing where someone will come in and go 'Here's my 12 post scientifically sourced treatise on why Breath of the Wild is actually stinky dog poo and all the reviewers were bought off'.

• Upvote 4

Fallout 3 was a big one for me. I appreciated everything about its weird 50s Americana propaganda, the freedom to go explore wherever you like and the various moral choices but actually playing it didnt grab me. It all felt a little flat and the combat was a chore. It had terrible screen tearing on 360 as well which I couldn't get used to.

I sometimes get tempted to go back to it but I think I might have left it a little late now.

Super Mario Odyssey ticked all of the boxes of a 3D Mario game I'd be interested in but for some reason it left me completely cold and I was glad it was over when I finished it.

• Upvote 8

Borderlands 3

You would struggle to find a bigger fan of Borderlands 2, I completed it multiple times on every difficulty, something that isn’t generally me as a gamer, one play through then I’m done until the DLC, 2 however was a different beast entirely, completed it on normal and went straight into True Vault Hunter mode, completed that and straight away hit Ultimate Vault Hunter mode, which I completed to its fullest. 

So before 3 came out they released a DLC for 2 that bridged the gap between the two games, rather than just playing this DLC I thought right, to really get my juices flowing I’ll play through 2 one last time with all the DLCs resulting in the new DLC, also not on 360 this time, with the settings maxed out on my new PC, which I did.

Did I burn myself out before 3 came out? Possibly, or is it just an inferior game to its predecessor? A lot of what made Borderlands great for me was missing at the start of 3, namely the Badass Ranks, little tiny steps forward between levelling up, I loved them because you always felt like you were getting better bit by bit, 0.7% accuracy here, 0.5% damage there but still progressing bit by bit. With 3 this is missing completely until you’ve completed the game, however the achievements still pop up “Kill 25 of 25 Skags” pops up, however doesn’t actually do anything at all.....Also in places 2 was hilarious, it was genuinely funny, however 3 tried to recreate this but instead found itself being disastrously unfunny to the point I cringed so much in places I had to turn the sound off,

So Borderlands 3 was my most anticipated game in years and ended with me 10 hours in thinking I just can’t be bothered.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Horizon is my biggest disappointment in terms of how little I enjoyed it.

And I still don't know why. It rocks all the boxes of a game I love most yet I've made around four attempts to get into it and they all failed.

No real idea why...it looks splendid, it plays great and has a good tale.

Yet it leaves me cold.

I'm ashamed.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 2

Loads...

Borderlands - just found it a bit repetitive but I like bed the premise of it. 

Witcher 3 - I just could not get into it for no rational reason.

Horizon Zero Dawn - this may have been a bit over hyped. I found that for all the promoter of is openness to combat etc. I was using the same thing over and over again. It seemed to be a bit of a collectothon.

Fallout 3 - should have been right up my alley but I found I just could not be arsed with all the little quests but also found myself frustrated when leaving them. 

God of War. I know its a fantastic game and I enjoyed it up to a point but something just didn't click for me. Same for new Devil May Cry, loved the combat at first but just couldn't be bothered to play it 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Super Mario Odyssey ticked all of the boxes of a 3D Mario game I'd be interested in but for some reason it left me completely cold and I was glad it was over when I finished it.

Don't feel quite as despondent about the game, but it certainly didn't tick all the boxes for me either. Felt more Super Mario Sunshine than Super Mario Galaxies on many levels, and I have no intention of playing any of the post-completion content (unless someone assures me that it's actually really good).

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Breath of the Wild. A return to the classic vibe of Zelda 1 should suit me just fine, especially when paired with Fueda’s melancholy from Ico and SotC. The world was grandiose and really managed to reclaim that Zelda 1 vibe.

But somehow combat was annoyingly timed, item degradation got in the way of just about everything, cooking became homework, there are only four good dungeons, seed puzzles quickly repeated themselves, and I was only discovering temples with few highlights in-between.

I’ve poured around 40 hours into this only to quite reluctantly realize, after a particular hateful stealth setpiece that this game is simply not for me. I even got a friend to play through that part to be able to jump in again, but it was too late. 

It’s particularly annoying as 3D Zeldas and me have never gotten along well and this, from the first reveal onwards, was looking to be the one to finally click. 

This year’s superb Link’s Awakening just put the final nail in its coffin. I won’t be playing Breath of the Wild any more. 

Ditto. Picked it up when I bought a Switch a few months back thinking that it would be the 3D Zelda that finally clicks with me, but alas. Just left me cold, puzzles, combat, weapon system etc. Looks gorgeous but once the wow factor faded it was meh. Put it down after a few hours. 

Links awakening is my kind of Zelda.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Don't feel quite as despondent about the game, but it certainly didn't tick all the boxes for me either. Felt more Super Mario Sunshine than Super Mario Galaxies on many levels, and I have no intention of playing any of the post-completion content (unless someone assures me that it's actually really good).

Unlike most Mario games it took me a bit of playing before I loved  it, usually they capture you instantly. It felt a bit different to most Mario games and strangely a bit rusty around the edges. It feels more like Sunshine in that it’s like a non traditional 3D Mario romp as the central mechanic is different. But that was implemented brilliantly! It’s like the central mechanic of Kirby games made much more joyful than Kirby games have ever managed. 

Sequels in general. I really struggle with more of the same with a new lick of paint and a different story (which I don't care about in games anyway). I loved the original Assassin's Creed, warts and all. Got bored of the 2nd one within a few hours because it was the same again only a bit better. I didn't go back to AC until Black Flag a good couple of years after release, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but that's me done with AC for another few years still. The same happens with any long running franchise - I need to skip a few iterations otherwise they bore the pants off me. Happily I got smart after AC and stopped insta-buying sequels to games I liked because the lesson had finally been learnt. I've never been a Nintendo fan particularly but many years ago I borrowed a mate's N64 to play Ocarina Of Time (which I really enjoyed for the most part). A different mate then lent me the Gameboy cart of A Link To The Past, and I got bored immediately when I saw the same formula repeated. Despite the 2 games looking nothing like each other, the fact that the format was the same just turned me off completely. Been there done that.

I'm actually worried about the upcoming release of Spelunky 2. The first is one of my favourite games ever, and I still play the daily challenge pretty much every day. Do I need a sequel?

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Breath of the Wild. A return to the classic vibe of Zelda 1 should suit me just fine, especially when paired with Fueda’s melancholy from Ico and SotC. The world was grandiose and really managed to reclaim that Zelda 1 vibe.

But somehow combat was annoyingly timed, item degradation got in the way of just about everything, cooking became homework, there are only four good dungeons, seed puzzles quickly repeated themselves, and I was only discovering temples with few highlights in-between.

I’ve poured around 40 hours into this only to quite reluctantly realize, after a particular hateful stealth setpiece that this game is simply not for me. I even got a friend to play through that part to be able to jump in again, but it was too late. 

It’s particularly annoying as 3D Zeldas and me have never gotten along well and this, from the first reveal onwards, was looking to be the one to finally click. 

This year’s superb Link’s Awakening just put the final nail in its coffin. I won’t be playing Breath of the Wild any more. 

:(

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I'm actually worried about the upcoming release of Spelunky 2. The first is one of my favourite games ever, and I still play the daily challenge pretty much every day. Do I need a sequel?

We have Noita now.

Forza Horizon 4. As a single player experience it is the final dumbing down of a once amazing series that became progressively less interesting with each iteration. Stupid avatars, brick walls that crumble meaning the map is almost entirely window dressing, poor audio compared to 1+2 and just a disappointing structure left me bored. 

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I played it and it was... okay. But I felt none of the joy that I did playing Super Mario 3D Land, which is probably the last 3D (ish) entry that knocked my socks off. There's something oddly sterile about SMO I can't quite put my finger on. Less than the sum of its parts.

• Upvote 5

Dark Souls 3

I was a huge fan of Dark Souls, multiple playthroughs, completed all the DLC. Dark Souls 2 I platinumed. Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time probably, again did all the DLC and got the platinum (to put that in context DS2 and Bloodborne are the only games I've ever platinumed).

But yeah I've tried to play DS3 at least twice now, got maybe halfway through before losing interest. Can't really explain why except maybe I'm just burnt out on the format.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

45 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Dark Souls 3

I was a huge fan of Dark Souls, multiple playthroughs, completed all the DLC. Dark Souls 2 I platinumed. Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time probably, again did all the DLC and got the platinum (to put that in context DS2 and Bloodborne are the only games I've ever platinumed).

But yeah I've tried to play DS3 at least twice now, got maybe halfway through before losing interest. Can't really explain why except maybe I'm just burnt out on the format.

For me it's Dark Souls 1.

I'm not a hardcore fan of their games but I do enjoy some of them - I platinumed Bloodborne and its DLC, played through the base games of DS2 and DS3, and I saw the credits of Sekiro earlier this year. However, I barely got anywhere in DS1. Bonfire runs felt pretty cruel compared to the other games and wasting entire evenings on one tiny bit of an area got boring. Oh and it felt like there was far more micromanagement of ailments or poison or corrosion or whatever, and hurrying back to fix things got old. I haven't even bothered getting the remaster because I know I'll bounce off it in the same way I have before.

Oh, and before you hit that neg I'm saying that it's not the game, it's me. I'm sure it's eventually great but I've just never had the patience for it.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

Forza Horizon 4. As a single player experience it is the final dumbing down of a once amazing series that became progressively less interesting with each iteration. Stupid avatars, brick walls that crumble meaning the map is almost entirely window dressing, poor audio compared to 1+2 and just a disappointing structure left me bored. 

There is no structure.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I played it and it was... okay. But I felt none of the joy that I did playing Super Mario 3D Land, which is probably the last 3D (ish) entry that knocked my socks off. There's something oddly sterile about SMO I can't quite put my finger on. Less than the sum of its parts.

Definitely this. Some worlds I loved but others felt strangely unpolished or just lacking that usual creativity I’d expect from a Nintendo game. The Mexican themed one stands out as having those issues to me. 

Its the mechanic that makes it a great game. I’d definitely be up for more Mario games using it and building upon the concept.

• Upvote 1

I find it exceptionally difficult to put my finger on exactly what it is but I didn't enjoy Thumper in the slightest, despite being obsessed with pressing buttons in time to music in general.

Is it it a little too cold..? Lacking in harmony..? Not enough character..? Fuck knows. I have decided to settle on the idea that you are all wrong and I am right. It is just plain easier than trying to figure it out properly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I have decided to settle on the idea that you are all wrong and I am right. It is just plain easier than trying to figure it out properly. 

Well that can't be right, because I like Thumper and I'm always right while everyone else is wrong, as has been demonstrated to me repeatedly throughout my life.

This topic's a tricky one, because I can usually identify the reasons that a game does or doesn't work for me, but I've never fully understood why Red Alert 2 never really did it for me. I love the early Command & Conquers (even the somewhat malagined Tiberian Sun), for both the daft shlock of them and the simple, satisfying strategy underpinning them, and RA2 on its surface just delivers more of all of that goodness - and is much-loved for it - but I never warmed to it like the others, never even finished it. Not sure why.

I should probably go back and try it again.

• Upvote 2

Horizon zero dawn for me too. On paper it sounds amazing - robot dinosaurs, cool protagonist, slick bow and arrow action, but I was bored throughout. I couldn’t put my finger on why I wasn’t enjoying it. 

I felt like I had to complete the story just because everyone said it was so good.

All the bioshocks too...