rllmuk
Nick R

The Halo 2, Half-Life 2, GTA San Andreas, WOW, and MGS3 15th anniversary thread

On 10/11/2019 at 19:07, Joystick Chevron said:

On the other hand, at least none of the others had that fucking hellspawned RC plane mission...

Didn’t they end up patching that mission to make it easier? It drove me fucking crazy how hard it was.

I remember picking up Killzone the same day as Metroid Prime 2, ok so MP2 is clearly the better game but I enjoyed the first Killzone - mainly the look and atmosphere, and of course Guerilla have gone on to become something of a powerhouse these days. 

The only game I didn’t get in 2004 was MGS3 as I think it was delayed here until the following year (those were the days!)

21 hours ago, cohen205 said:

It was in incredible game, and i loved every minute, but Vice City will always hold a special place in my heart. They just nailed the 80's so well.

Vice City was my first real 3D GTA (I bounced off 3 for some reason), so it holds a special place in my heart as well. Like you say, they absolutely nailed the 80s. The look, the music, everything. Then San Andreas came along and they absolutely nailed the early 90s gangster rap vibe, while massively expanding everything. A phenomenal achievement.

It makes me wish they’d pick another setting as rich as those. 4 was really bland and while 5 was a much better game, it didn’t really have the personality of those earlier games.

Hopefully 6 will try to capture another time period that’s just as evocative.

• Upvote 1

For a lot of people, November 2004 was the release of the US version of “best game ever” RE4. 
That’s when I played it. 
Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2 and RE4 all wanting attention at the same time. 

• Upvote 2

I went back and played a little bit of San Andreas based on this thread. Feels a bit looser than I remember but still good.

I'd somehow forgotten how much GTA 5 stays true to the spirit of San Andreas' map. A lot of it makes sense to me now that I've seen what it's supposed to be like in a more environmentally dense higher resolution.

5 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I went back and played a little bit of San Andreas based on this thread. Feels a bit looser than I remember but still good.

Which version did you go back and play? I loved the PS2 version, and only stopped playing it at a point very far into the game, when I encountered a bug that meant CJ couldn't use gyms any more. I don't think it was a game-breaker that stopped me progressing, but it was annoying enough to put me off playing.

I bought the Xbox 360 version a few years ago, and couldn't get into it at all. It's a port of the iOS version, and I was put off by the different feel of the controls, and miscellaneous minor bugs (mostly audio problems, like music momentarily cutting out).

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Which version did you go back and play? I loved the PS2 version, and only stopped playing it at a point very far into the game, when I encountered a bug that meant CJ couldn't use gyms any more. I don't think it was a game-breaker that stopped me progressing, but it was annoying enough to put me off playing.

I bought the Xbox 360 version a few years ago, and couldn't get into it at all. It's a port of the iOS version, and I was put off by the different feel of the controls, and miscellaneous minor bugs (mostly audio problems, like music momentarily cutting out).

The Steam version.

Last time I played the game all the way through I went for the original Xbox version as that seemed to be the better of the versions between that and PS2. Despite that, though, the GTA series has always been a Playstation game in my heart.

Same here. It's partially an age thing; the difference between 20-year-old me and 25-year-old me is far greater than that between 25-year-old me and 35-year-old me, so the time between feels less significant. And it's partially that the pace of game design change is ever-slowing, so the games don't feel as though they've evolved as much (and of course even the games from 2004-2009 feel like subtle evolutions compared to those between 1999 and 2004, never mind 1994 and 1999).

• Upvote 1

I was playing this at the time.  Took a load of stuff to trade in to get it a couple of weeks after it was released. Turned out it was GTA release day and lots of people got annoyed with me for holding up the queue. Lol.

pikmin2.jpg.0ad85df44c154294c94bf19939385879.jpg

• Upvote 2

I posted this a few years ago about WoW:

5 years of non-stop play tells you all you need to know. More than just a game, for many it was the game of their generation and put MMOs firmly in to everyone's hands, not just the hardcore. Young and old, men and women from all over the world came together in a once in a lifetime experience and I feel luckily to have been a part of it right from the start. The world of Azeroth is like no other and without it who knows where games would be today. One of the most important games ever made for so many reasons. This is what I wrote about WoW last time and it's still relevant today;

Ah, WoW. Looking back I sometimes feel like I wasted 3 years of my life playing this game but then I think of the experiences I had with the people from Rllmuk and realise I'll probably never get the same feeling from any other game ever again. I knew nothing about MMOs when I started playing and I, like many others, were sharing all these fresh experiences together for the first time. This game became my world. Eat, play and sleep became my routine. I was a digital crack addict. For me, Vanilla WoW will always be one the greatest gaming moments for me. Starting out as a newbie with no clue what I was doing to slowly becoming one the best Shaman on my server was unlike any other gaming experience for me. That first Ragnaros kill, with MR BEN and the gang after months of hard-work was unbelievable, 40 grown men crying, cheering and laughing on Teamspeak was something else. I enjoyed the first 2 expansions before I thankfully managed to break free from the game's mighty grasp but I feel lucky to have been apart of something special from the start. A truly memorable experience WoW gave me.

props to @Mr Ben @Space Renegade Ulala @pompey88 @Natdan and Sue (Kaywinnit) for all the good times.

• Upvote 4

On 12/11/2019 at 12:53, James Lyon said:

Last time I played the game all the way through I went for the original Xbox version as that seemed to be the better of the versions between that and PS2. Despite that, though, the GTA series has always been a Playstation game in my heart.

I gave up on the PS2 original because I felt that it just couldn't handle that world (disappearing roads and so on), playing through it later in '06 on the Xbox. Disappointingly, that was 576i with no 480p (for those with chipped 'boxes running NTSC over component). The other two GTAs had 480p support and looked wonderful for it.

I'd love a Bluepoint trilogy with on/off graphics toggle, plus added swimming (if you want it) for the first two games. Lastly, I'd like an option to have Andreas' controls in the earlier games (first twinstick GTA), and some multiplayer modes where the gameworlds become maps (with manual aiming!).

Flying a chopper to Waiting for a Girl Like You, though... searching for jumps on a PCJ to Died in Your Arms. An amazingly evocative visual and musical period, and a kickstarter of the retrowave scene. Andreas had the Hydra and Rossi's bike, but its world didn't really inspire me.

1 hour ago, Escaped said:

Disappointingly, that was 576i with no 480p (for those with chipped 'boxes running NTSC over component). The other two GTAs had 480p support and looked wonderful for it.

I don't know about that, but the lighting did look nicer.

I was looking into modding the Steam version but it looks like you have to downgrade it first after they got all fussy after Hot Coffee.

I love Metroid Prime and especially the second game, would have totally been all over that Trilogy remaster that everyone was certain was on its way.