rllmuk
Nick R

The Halo 2, Half-Life 2, GTA San Andreas, WOW, and MGS3 15th anniversary thread

I remember buying that issue of Edge too.

i also recall that PRS 2004 was its better era, we did use PES for the Xbox league at the time. 

Also Burnout 3 :wub:

I remember getting that issue as well. Late 2004 was pretty ridiculous in hindsight. 

Burnout 3 and Halo 2 were probably the pinnacle of Xbox LIVE too, and one of the key things I remember is just that your entire friends list would basically buy a title if it had online components and everyone would be on that for about a month. Starting with the 360 the following year (it was Dec 2005 right?) LIVE friends lists would become fragmented, with everyone off playing loads of different titles, once console online multiplayer had become "A Thing". 

Also Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was early 2004. Which was clearly the original Xbox's best LIVE title. Absolutely fantastic assymetrical, clever multiplayer. 

• Upvote 4

Around the time of Burnout 3's release I got a deal on a cheap (and chipped) Xbox from a friend, and I'd previously been slumming it with a bargain-bin Dreamcast so I was thrown into the current generation* for the first time in a while. Burnout 3 and Halo 2 contributed to a lot of fun evenings, despite having to wrestle with the burger pad. :P 

*DC was the same generation technically but good luck finding any DC stuff in stores from 2004

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Parksey said:

I remember getting that issue as well. Late 2004 was pretty ridiculous in hindsight. 

Burnout 3 and Halo 2 were probably the pinnacle of Xbox LIVE too, and one of the key things I remember is just that your entire friends list would basically buy a title if it had online components and everyone would be on that for about a month. Starting with the 360 the following year (it was Dec 2005 right?) LIVE friends lists would become fragmented, with everyone off playing loads of different titles, once console online multiplayer had become "A Thing". 

Also Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was early 2004. Which was clearly the original Xbox's best LIVE title. Absolutely fantastic assymetrical, clever multiplayer. 

Yeah, Chaos Theory was great, but let's not overlook Return to Castle Wolfenstein as well. Amazing on Live.

San Andreas, what a game. A modern high-resolution texture update on the same map would be just the thing to celebrate. Leave everything else as it is. Even the pointless gang warfare stuff.

• Upvote 2

I've actually been replaying San Andreas for this very reason and as impressive as that texture mod looks, it loses the saturated, summer heat aesthetic SA dressed itself up in to hide the limitations of the ps2 hardware. It's still an incredibly atmospheric achievement 15 years on. 

• Upvote 3

To this day I still believe San Andreas is the peak of the GTA series. It had the balance of a good characters, a memorable environment and felt like it was the optimisation of the series. For me everything since has just felt bloated. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

To this day I still believe San Andreas is the peak of the GTA series. It had the balance of a good characters, a memorable environment and felt like it was the optimisation of the series. For me everything since has just felt bloated. 

Which is kind of funny given how massive and all encompassing SA was, and how off the chain it could be compared to the later ones. Three cities to explore? Break in to Area 51? LIterally steal/take control of every vehicle you could find except the aircraft carrier and freight ships? The scope of it was insane.

On the other hand, at least none of the others had that fucking hellspawned RC plane mission...

• Upvote 3

It was in incredible game, and i loved every minute, but Vice City will always hold a special place in my heart. They just nailed the 80's so well.

Stealth Edit:  Didn't Vice City come out in 2002, which essentially means it only took them 2 years to create San Andreas. Boggles the mind.

Edited by cohen205
Recollection
  • Upvote 4

I remember it vividly, I’d just bought a new PC to handle the likes of Doom 3 and, of course, Half-Life 2. 

I was away for the weekend when San Andreas came out with my then girlfriend, I’d just bought it along with the tiny Slim PS2, and remember her not being too happy when I suggested taking it along for the weekend to use in the hotel room! 

I went on a skiing holiday too late dec and took my newly purchased Japanese import DS along with Minish Cap and Mario 64. 

Played Metroid Prime 2 over Christmas, and I seem to recall @Dave White had just got an import PSP and me being totally wowed by it. 

One thing I can’t remember is how I could afford all that. 

Happy days :)

edit. Remember loving Halo 2 multiplayer but also finding it hard to admit to myself that the single player was a bit poor.

• Upvote 1

is that the little guy from Kuru Kuru Kurrurin above CJ's head?

edit: hmm, looks like there was a GC sequal out in 2004. Live 'n' Learn

I remember playing Halo 2 in french and being brutally dissapointed. the pain.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I remember playing Halo 2 in french and being brutally dissapointed. the pain.

Le pain du chef 

But I know immediately which version you played, and it's fun to think that a lot of gamers back then remember playing Halo 2 in French for the first time :D If I recall correctly, it appeared like two or three weeks early or something crazy like that. Great times.

• Upvote 2

Burnout 3 and Rome: Total War make it actually decent, but honestly my first thought on reading the topic title was "god, what a gash month". Filled with games I either expected to love but hated (Halo 2, MP2), or read glowing reviews and testimonies of, so played against my better judgement and disliked (HL2, MGS3, San Andreas). Or WoW, which I at least was able to ignore on account of being on dial-up at uni. 

• Empathy 3

I can't believe we have people wandering around here and saying that now is the best time ever for games with a straight face. Look at that list, and what are our big games this year? Call of Fucking Duty 5000, GTA 22 Cowboy Version. What a pile of shite. If there wasn't the first Kojima game in five years there'd be nothing even slightly interesting being shat out of the Triple A blandifier all year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I loved some of the promotional stuff that got done for Halo. Watched Landfall a silly amount of times. I think it was directed by Neill Bloekamp.

Edit whoops it's Halo 2 we're celebrating here, not 3. Nevermind, it's still a great little film.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

I can't believe we have people wandering around here and saying that now is the best time ever for games with a straight face. Look at that list, and what are our big games this year? Call of Fucking Duty 5000, GTA 22 Cowboy Version. What a pile of shite. If there wasn't the first Kojima game in five years there'd be nothing even slightly interesting being shat out of the Triple A blandifier all year.

Fucking yes!

And Katamari Damacy came out in 2004. That is better than anything this year. (not played DS)

• Upvote 1

That list just showed what a great time for games late-2004 was. I'm half-trapped in that time period, I still have my PS2 and OG XBOX set up and love playing Burnout 3 and the like. The PS2 was maturing, lots of interesting smaller games and exciting big games. Yes, yearly iterations were firmly a thing then but there was so much good stuff about it wasn't as depressing as now. Good times. Might have to fire up some PS2 this weekend, get pissed and play BO3.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

And Katamari Damacy came out in 2004. That is better than anything this year. (not played DS)

I'd like to agree, but both Disco Elysium and Sayonara Wildhearts probably just edge it for me. It's assuredly the best game of 2004, mind!

I've also just realised that Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines came out in November 2004, so that automatically makes it a great month (even if we did have to wait close to a decade for a properly finished version of the game to exist).

• Upvote 2