rllmuk
PeteBrant

Musicals

I do like the odd musical . I’m talking specifically movie versions here . As far as I am concerned Jesus Christ superstar is the pinnacle , closely followed by west side story .  What’s your number one ?

@ZOK I know you must have one 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I do like the odd musical . I’m talking specifically movie versions here . As far as I am concerned Jesus Christ superstar is the pinnacle , closely followed by west side story .  What’s your number one ?

@ZOK I know you must have one 

Yup - Les Parapluies de Cherbourg.

After that, it’s probably West Side Story or Singin’ in the Rain. 

West Side Story is top.

Below that...

Man Of La Mancha

Rocky Horror Show

God Help The Girl

Jesus Christ Superstar

Dancer In The Dark

Fiddler On The Roof

• Upvote 1

Also, if anyone enjoys musicals they should check out some Bollywood flicks, they are basically 3 hour musicals with everything dialled up to 11.

• Upvote 2

I was just thinking of this very subject the other day and listened to the Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack. That really holds up. I don't think there's a bad song on there and it really moves along. Bill Murray cameo as well.

Busy Malone is another I'm fond of, purely because it's unique. I don't think we'll ever see a movie quite like it again. It's also got one of the greatest final songs of a musical ever.

• Upvote 5

Do enjoy a musical. Mary Poppins is a joy, 'Let's Go Fly a Kite' gets me every time (and was recreated beautifully in Saving Mr. Banks).

Some of those not already mentioned in the thread, The Blues Brothers, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut and Labyrinth stand out for varying reasons. Singing in the Rain too; the choreography by Donald O'Connor for his performance of "Make 'Em Laugh' is such a delight.

• Upvote 2

Other than things like The Blues Brothers and A Hard Day's Night, which aren't musicals in the sense that the songs in them weren't originally written to progress the story and characters...

Live action film: Probably Singin' in the Rain, though I haven't seen many. I've never seen West Side Story! :o

Animated film: Of the Disney films, I think Beauty and the Beast is probably the strongest combination of songs and film as a whole. Honourable mentions: The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Aladdin, Moana, The Nightmare Before Christmas, South Park.

I know the first post specifies films, but I'm going to add...

TV episode: "Once More With Feeling" from Buffy. No contest, really.

Bob's Burgers has lots of great songs ("Bad Stuff Happens in the Bathroom" :wub:), but not many episodes have more than one or two sung by the characters themselves to progess the plot. Honourable mentions to "Electric Love" and "Work Hard or Die Trying, Girl" which are about putting on stage musicals.

Likewise Animaniacs and The Simpsons: loads of individual novelty songs but not a huge number of full musical episodes. Except the musicals-within-episodes like Oh, Streetcar! and Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off.

I remember really liking the Scrubs musical episode but the only tune I can remember is "Everything Comes Down to Poo". (I remember "A Surgeon and A Doc" too, but I just checked and it turns out that was from a different episode! :o)

I've never seen the musical episode of Daria but it seems to be a really popular one.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Dancer In The Dark

A great film with great music (I like the movie version of I've Seen it All with Peter Stormare more than the album version with Thom Yorke!) but it's so depressing I will probably never watch it ever again. :(

• Upvote 1

Singin in the rain is of course the best.

second would be Oklahoma for me.

pretty much any of the old gene Kelly or Fred Astaire stuff is amazing. I love watching how much they do all in one take. Instead of loads of cuts. Gives a great sense of how good they really are

I have a bunch of old movies on my computer which I quite often stick on in the background. Along with the two above.

on the town

anchors away

calamity jane

annie get your gun

does purple rain count too?

• Upvote 1

Oh man... Definitely Once More With Feeling0(Buffy musical episode) - can't believe I forgot that! Weirdly, I quite like the 2 Pints of Lager musical episode too - thought it was done really well. 

And definitely the original Beauty and The Beast, The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. Gorgeous music. 

I think what’s missing from movie musicals is a really good adaptation of a Sondheim show. Sweeney Todd and Into The Woods were such wasted opportunities as they could both make great films in the right hands. Sweeney Todd isn’t a bad film, but having stars who aren’t up to singing the songs the way they are meant to be performed, makes you loose a lot of the operatic sweep and horror of the piece.

• Upvote 1