rllmuk
womblingfree

Games that tinsel up for Christmas

Call of Duty 4 briefly changed one of its iconic maps to having Christmas lights and decorations the Christmas it came out. Then the remastered version did the same but added a load of extra Christmassy stuff. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Purin said:

The problem with the XBLA version is the controls just don't compare to the 3D pad. It doesn't feel truly analogue and fluid like the original, sadly.

This. So much this. I don’t think any pad since has recreated the floaty feel of the Saturn’s starship enterprise pad. 

4 hours ago, Purin said:

The problem with the XBLA version is the controls just don't compare to the 3D pad. It doesn't feel truly analogue and fluid like the original, sadly.

They did patch the XBLA version soon after release to increase the directional sensitivity to 24 directions:

https://worthplaying.com/article/2012/11/29/news/87656/

I agree it still doesn't feel quite as smooth as I remember it being in the Saturn version with an analogue pad. But I've never done a side by side comparison, so I don't know if that really was a reduction in the number of in-game directions the software could handle, or if it's programmed the same and the differences are purely due to the sticks' different looseness.

Still, I originally played NiGHTS on a digital pad with only 8 directions, and even played like that, it's a great game.

Animal Crossing on 3DS for me, as every year. I love the christmasy atmosphere, dressing up as santa and delivering pressies to the villagers. Top stuff. 

Also, I can't celebrate christmas properly unless I've paid Snow Mountain a visit, the music alone makes me think of christmas: 

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

This. So much this. I don’t think any pad since has recreated the floaty feel of the Saturn’s starship enterprise pad. 

AKA the Fat Controller. 

3 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Is it as massive in the hands as it appears in that pic? It almost makes the Dreamcast controller look comfortable...

If you play the first "Danger Zone" during the festive period you get special Christmas 'muzak' (we searched hard to find a fine example of the department store style) a tree, tinsel, flashing lights and of course wrapped presents...

Christmas eh? - getting an amazing game on the day, (ELITE for C64 in a big box) then hoping it will load (it did), then being torn between really really wanting to play it and also wanting to watch the Christmas "Top of The Pops" and then recording "ET" on BBC One and then passing around the Quality Street tin and settling down for "The Man With The Golden Gun" at 515pm on ITV. Sitting in the dark but with the lights of the tree flashing away...then going to bed and reading the novella "The Dark Wheel.."

• Upvote 4