rllmuk
womblingfree

Games that tinsel up for Christmas

Which games are getting temporary Christmas themes this year? Is Mario getting a Santa outfit? Will Destiny be decking it’s Hellmouth with boughs of holly? Are you creating any Xmas themes in Mario Maker?

Let us know! I’m a sucker for a seasonal theme. If Insomniac get some NY snow and an elf hat for Spidey, I’m buying it all over again.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

My first thought whenever this question is asked is the snow on GTA online.

Fond memories of you driving your motorcycle into the strip club and all hell breaking loose. I think I still have the video somewhere!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fused gamer said:

Fond memories of you driving your motorcycle into the strip club and all hell breaking loose. I think I still have the video somewhere!

If you can find it, please post it or send to me via pm ^_^

Traditionally Destiny has a festive-ish event called The Dawning which has special quests and rewards and stuff. No confirmation if that's happening this year yet. I hope the snowball throwing comes back. :P 

I remember Sonic Adventure has downloadable themes that changed Station Square (The main hub world in the game) to a season. The first game I ever saw (Outside of FPS Mods for games like Quake or Doom) that had such an ability.

The Christmas one is particually lovely. :wub:

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Didn't know this. So, if you play Shenmue over Christmas, there's Christmas decorations all over town?

Nope - just when the game time is over the xmas period.

5 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Didn't know this. So, if you play Shenmue over Christmas, there's Christmas decorations all over town?

Remember when I played Shenmue for the first time it was around December time and the decs came out in game. Nice touch. Just happened to coincide when I was playing....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Parappa said:

That may not count as it was a dedicated release I think?

Does the 360 release of NiGHTS become festive, or is it a case of buying a CRT telly, dusting off one’s Saturn and hoping the laser hasn’t packed in?

That shit is over 20 years old... and I’ve got a serious craving of nostalgia. :(

Edit - can we just change the subject to ‘How to play Christmas NiGHTS in 2019’ please?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Popo said:

Does the 360 release of NiGHTS become festive, or is it a case of buying a CRT telly, dusting off one’s Saturn and hoping the laser hasn’t packed in?

That shit is over 20 years old... and I’ve got a serious craving of nostalgia. :(

Edit - can we just change the subject to ‘How to play Christmas NiGHTS in 2019’ please?

There’s an option to play Christmas NiGHTS in the main menu of the XBLA game - I think the standard unlock method is “get Cs or above in the other dreams”, but there may be a code...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Parappa said:

Nope - just when the game time is over the xmas period.

This is true. But when I think of Christmas games I think Shenmue, so it was worth a mention.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

There’s an option to play Christmas NiGHTS in the main menu of the XBLA game - I think the standard unlock method is “get Cs or above in the other dreams”, but there may be a code...

The problem with the XBLA version is the controls just don't compare to the 3D pad. It doesn't feel truly analogue and fluid like the original, sadly.

• Upvote 2

Saturn emulation is brilliant these days, so I presume Christmas Nights runs ok on a potato PC?

I’m planning on a Shenmue Remastered play-through this year... first time I played it on Dreamcast was over the Christmas period. However I left for Hong Kong on Christmas Eve so didn’t experience in-game Christmas, which was a bit silly looking back.