rllmuk
metallicfrodo

Pistol Whip - Out Now

For me this was the highlight of the VR reels that came out of E3. Basically a hyper stylised John Wick impersonating rhythm shooter releasing on Oculus Rift, Quest, Steam VR and Viveport tomorrow

I know there has been some conversation about it in both the Quest and Rift threads but thought it might make sense seeing as it's coming to a number of headsets to have a single place where we can all discuss it.

EDIT: Some more indepth info and impressions from UploadVR https://uploadvr.com/pistol-whip-preview-impressions/

EDIT: Explanation on how the scoring in the game works https://bsaber.com/pistol-whip-scoring-guide/

• Upvote 8

OMG this is amazing! Just played through the first scene a couple of times on Easy (was third in the world at one point so obviously no one else has it yet!). And then tried it on Medium which took me a couple of goes to get through. Then tried the second scene on easy and failed it twice.

But as I say OMG is this amazing, I personally couldn't help moving along to the songs as I was going through the level, just kind of bopping up and down on the spot as I was shooting and it felt cool AF (I'm sure I looked a complete tit but I don't care). By default autoaim is on, although you do have to aim vaguely near the people to hit them but at least for me even on easy it's no cake walk, so I would imagine working up to hard and then turning autoaim off is going to give plently of scope for improving at the game. Wish I didn't have to go out now because I really just want to keep on playing.

• Upvote 2

Yeah holy shit this is fucking great. First VR I've played in months!  Mad mashup of like Rez, Superhot, and Guitar Hero.  

It's mad at a box of badgers but I love it. :wub:

This is pretty damn good - strong visual design and well-pitched difficulty levels. Turning off the autoaim separates the marksmen from the marksboys, and it turns out I am no marksman.

• Upvote 1

yeah i played through it on easy with the autoaim on, got bad scores, it was great fun! bit confused as to how everything works, i think you can take 1 hit which takes out your shield, then hitting 4 shots restores the shield, something like that anyway. and scoring seems to be entirely timing based, but it wasn't always clear what beat shoot on. i guess you get good points for punching people but i kept forgetting and shooting them first. wanted to keep playing to try normal mode but the forward motion makes me a little sick after a while.

Played a few levels last nights, it’s great but I’m getting quite intense motion sickness. Also found it quite hard to stay in the middle of the room and ended up right at the edge of my guardian area. The only other games that make me feel sick like this is the free rollercoaster game and the Space Station one.

The videos do make it look massively vom inducing, but it's a shame to find out that's the case in an otherwise ace looking game. I'm not good with that amount of movement at all, but look forward to at least giving it a go later on see how I get on. 

Shame it's giving some people motion sickness, it's rated comfortable on the Oculus store but I supposed that's just based on the fact there's no fast motion.

Played through all ten scenes on easy this morning. As will all rhythm games (and pretty much stating the obvious here) the levels with the music I like most are the best! I find at the moment I'm so focused on killing the enemies that I'm missing out on some of the level design, so will be nice to be able to take that in a bit later on once I'm more aware of where the enemy spawns are. Certainly in the Day of the Dead level there are some cool huge skeletal creatures that are hanging off to the sides at points.

Went back and then did The Grave (because it's my favourite track) on medium, which was fine as I was more in tune with the game. Then tried hard, and well, it's erm hard! Couldn't get more than about halfway through and was bobbing and weaving all over the place trying to avoid bullets.  They seem to change the sheild recharge mechanic as it seems that you need more than four kills to recharge it. The one thing I will say is that I'm glad I'm playing in on carpet as I think I'd have completely fucked my knee by now as I keep constantly dropping down to it to avoid obstacles or bullets.

I think the only issue I have with the game is how sweaty it makes me!

Tried it without auto aim and now I know what the bad guys in films feel like.

the shield recharge thing I think is 4 hits on easy, 8 on medium, and 16 on hard.

the game is great fun but the rhythm action part I mostly don’t get how it works, sometimes I’m killing bad dudes in time to the music and getting near 200 points and I think I get it, then other times I’m doing the same and not getting many points, and other times I have no idea what the beat is supposed to be. Sort of reminds me of child of Eden in that way - another game I really like but found the scoring could be confusing at times.

anyone know if punching gives more points?

Yeah the score mechanic in Pistol Whip really isn't explained well, in fact I don't think it's explained in game at all.

This is a good artice that explains everything

https://bsaber.com/pistol-whip-scoring-guide/

Summarizing that though there are two elements to your score, Accuracy and Timing. You get 100 points for each. With accuracy this is basically how much aim assist was used to make the shot, if the shot would have hit anywhere on the body you will get the full 100 points with this decreasing as the aim assist increases. For timing to get the 100points you have to hit on (or within 75ms either side) of the beat, with the score decreasing the further off that you are. From playing it appears to me that there are two little icons that appear next to a shot if you get one (but not the other) perfect. So you will see a little red circle with a kind of EKG reading in it if you are on the beat, or a red circle with a target in it if you were accurate.

With regards to  pistol whips you need to hit the enemy with supposedly a punch speed of 4m/s to get full points, score drops off exponentially below that hand movement speed. What's also worth noting is that along with reload and shields you will get the full score left that enemy can provide. So if you hit a 4 shot enemy having put no shots into him you will get 800 points (if you had already shot him twice the score for the pistol whip would be 400 points.)

QUEST BUG INFO: On an unrelated note there appears to be a bug on the Quest version at the moment that stops you being able to equip the different weapon skins, basically you can select them but can't save them. This is because the game didn't properly ask for permissions at the start. What you need to do is click the three dots on Pistol Whip icon in the library and give it permission to use local storage and you will then be able to change your weapon skin.

• Upvote 1

This is brilliant! I should probably invest in a VR face thing cover though given how much of a sweat I work up.

I've been in a tussle with a couple of other players for the #1 leader board position for hard difficulty Replicants and it's getting a bit stressful now since it's getting harder and harder to eek out those extra points. I've played through the level so many times I can take out a good chunk of the bad guys without looking at them.

I left it with me in second place last night but no doubt I'm way down the list now.

Wow! I haven't managed to make it through a single level on hard! I was third in the world for a short time on the first scene on easy, but that was 3 mins after it had been released so I'm not sure that really counts.

The only thing stopping me playing the game longer is the amount that it makes me sweat, oh and the fact that I'm worried I'm going to do something bad to my right leg. I was getting some worrying pain in my right knee the other day so I've had to change my style. Going more for squats and body weaves as opposed to dropping to my right knee to avoid bullets. Obviously I'm not used to that sort of motion so it wasn't doing me any good.

Just now, metallicfrodo said:

The only thing stopping me playing the game longer is the amount that it makes me sweat, oh and the fact that I'm worried I'm going to do something bad to my right leg. I was getting some worrying pain in my right knee the other day so I've had to change my style. Going more for squats and body weaves as opposed to dropping to my right knee to avoid bullets. Obviously I'm not used to that sort of motion so it wasn't doing me any good.

I had the same issue with my knees when playing Superhot. Make sure you wear appropriate footwear. 

Anyone playing this on the Rift S? Just wondering how it is on that.