rllmuk
Colonel Panic

Getting an arcade cabinet

I've always wanted but never had the space for an arcade cabinet until a few years ago when I bought a house with a large, powered shed. 

As far as my wife is concerned this is my domain, apart from a corner for Christmas decorations and suitcases. As such, I've filled it with bikes and retro video games.

Now, I think I want an arcade cabinet. One that you plug JAMMA boards into, not the ones you see on eBay with a RPi inside it. Where does one source one one of these? 

The UK Video Arcade Collectors Facebook group would be a good place to start. 
Do you want an early wooden Jamma cab or something more modern like a white plastic Candy Jamma?

• Upvote 1

Yeah I’d certainly join UKVAC on Facebook and on their forums.

its also worth checking on the various market places of Facebook, Shpock, ect.

I got my cab off of a guy on UKVAC for £50 a year or so ago although it needed some major work doing on it and didn’t come with a monitor. I was lucky enough to find a non working quiz machine with a CRT monitor in it for £10 on eBay.

However I had to replace the base of the machine as that was rotting and started to smell. I replaced the  t-moulding, it also needed a new control panel overlay and the wiring in it was bad so I ended up swapping it all out and putting a PC in it as the costs of certain jamma boards is really expensive.

cPzgP4O.jpg

Ek9CoQn.jpg

hZEzEIM.jpg

9BaS659.jpg

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, kernow said:

Get a candy cab definitely, something like an astro city, easy to get spares for. I find the woodies are a false economy

I think it depends on what you are nostalgic for. The cab that I bought was used from the mid 80’s to early 90’s and were in chip shops & kebab houses all over the place. Fond memories :)

I don’t need a wooden one for nostalgia’s sake. I kinda like those candy cabs, it was great seeing rows and rows of them when I was in Japan earlier this year. 

Now to get one. I don’t have a Facebook account and I’m in Ireland. I don’t mind paying shipping or heading over to get one though!

22 minutes ago, kernow said:

True, but they are technically inferior in every way, have old monitors, fall apart and weight 300kg. 

Well monitors will fail. I had mine recapped about 3 months after using it, it displays a picture as if it’s just come off the assembly line now.

You can’t beat a CRT.

My cab does weigh a ton but it’s not like I need to move it around. It sits in the corner and I hope it will stay there for many years to come. It’s certainly sturdy enough.

Check out the arcadeotaku forum, a good resource for candy cabs 

They've shot up in price though, expect to pay £650-1000 for a clean astro. Over that for an egret ii

1 minute ago, Swainy said:

Well monitors will fail. I had mine recapped about 3 months after using it, it displays a picture as if it’s just come off the assembly line now.

You can’t beat a CRT.

My cab does weigh a ton but it’s not like I need to move it around. It sits in the corner and hope it will stay there for many years to come. It’s certainly sturdy enough.

Candy cabs have a nanao ms9 in usually, which is one of the best CRTs for 15khz

8 hours ago, Swainy said:

Yeah I’d certainly join UKVAC on Facebook and on their forums.

its also worth checking on the various market places of Facebook, Shpock, ect.

I got my cab off of a guy on UKVAC for £50 a year or so ago although it needed some major work doing on it and didn’t come with a monitor. I was lucky enough to find a non working quiz machine with a CRT monitor in it for £10 on eBay.

However I had to replace the base of the machine as that was rotting and started to smell. I replaced the  t-moulding, it also needed a new control panel overlay and the wiring in it was bad so I ended up swapping it all out and putting a PC in it as the costs of certain jamma boards is really expensive.

cPzgP4O.jpg

Ek9CoQn.jpg

hZEzEIM.jpg

9BaS659.jpg

That's the same machine I got when I started in arcade collecting.

Bought a joblot off ebay for £500.

Garlando fusboll table

A fruit machine

The cab above (in full working condition bar needing a bulb in the header.

about 50 JAMMA pcb's

Sold the fusbol table off the back of the van to next door and have sold on some of the games I don't want making back the £500. Still have some original, good value games: 1943 Kai, Galaxian, Mr Do! etc. To be honest it does take up room and I don't play it as much as my consoles and sooner or later I'll part with it.

UKVac is good, jammaplus was too before sort of disappearing. Lot of clone / boot pcb's out there and do bear in mind most of this kit is 30 years old so relatively brittle. That said, I can't solder for sh!t and haven't had much of an issue over the years.

• Upvote 2

I owned a candy cab about 7 years ago. 

Cost about £300 at the time. Astro city, I believe it was. 

It cant be understated just how heavy and cumbersome they are. You’ll need a big van to transport it easily and safely. 

You need to be prepared to do some basic electrical work too, be it buying or rigging together a kick harness, knowing how to safely rotate the monitor etc. 

I had had a bunch of PCBs, but mainly fighters (cps2, tekken and mk) and neo geo mvs stuff which once sorted out generally worked okay and were easy to switch about. 

Must try and find a photo.

Here's my two egret ii's I owned last, also had a couple of atomiswave sitdowns (AWSD) but the trisync monitors aren't best for low res jamma I was interested in. 

Screenshot_20191105-204700-1280x1019.thumb.png.4f033d86fe3e3b9563b4ea08ea41d8a3.png

Ketsui and ESPGaluda ii

That 1L6B original panel is rare as hen's teeth and I sold it for near £450 separately

Christ there's about five grand in that photo from 2014, now. 

• Upvote 4