Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

…and I’m out to Rize|Kanza, a (sponsored?) Chipp player 1-3. Will probably do a longer post later but I lost to a Nago and then a Chipp, my two demon matchups. Very happy to have made it out of pools for the first time though, that was grand.

Also I’m coping with nerves a lot better these days. My heart didn’t start pounding until I was 2-0 up in the match to get into top 64, lol. 

Oh, the player I lost to on winner's side, Budfelic, might make it into Top 8 winner's side. I feel even better!

UPDATE:

Spoiler

He came 3rd overall!

On 12/06/2021 at 17:13, imp said:

Gulp, found it!

That's 1:12 into the video. I think he's just messing about with characters for some reason, as he's expecting to play badly with Nago and Pot.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon a review he's done of Strive recently - the above Twitch video isn't available now, but he did seem to be playing the game pretty badly, and sounded frustrated all the time, like a stereotypical angry gamer (admittedly Imp's Sol is just made to put people on tilt, the scamp...).

But anyway, the review he did is one of the most miserable things I've watched in a while. Even when being positive it sounds like he's completely bored and barely musters any passion, even within critique, and comes across as mostly hating the game without really understanding the reasons it has resonated with so many players or having much love for a lot of the series as a whole.

Definitely someone who's sense of game smell is lacking.

They nerfed the wrong Volcanic Viper :lol:

For Sol the far S change is probably the most significant, so that players can't abuse spamming it if the opponent used FD. But other than that in some ways it looks like they've actually just buffed his lesser used normals... GG guys.

Looking through the patch notes though, when I joked that they should just buff everyone except Sol... That exactly what they've done. Except they also sorta buffed Sol :lol:

The Wild Throw buff is ridiculous.

Millia and Zato look like they got the most scary buffs actually. Helping Millia continue her pressure and Zato be viable even without Eddie sounds a bit harsh on the rest of us non technical players.

Sol - Very happy about SVV being a viable anti air, even if it means it's more punishable - I struggle to deal with Zato when he's hovering right above my head and it was really annoying S Viper didn't do anything. Fingers crossed it works on May's j2H as well! Also happy about the 2S buff - that's a button I actually use a fair bit already, and a buff looks to be very helpful against I-no, where it's the primary pre-emptive "don't stroke me" button. Looking forward to seeing what Wild Throw can combo into too - if it lets you put the opponent back into the corner... heh. The change to HMC sounds weird - I always used to get TR by accident, but never the other way around. Maybe something lost in translation there.

Ky - sounds even scarier - his midrange footsies were already incredibly effective and now he's got better pokes and damage thanks to the stun dipper buff?! Interested to see what becomes of DI.

May - glad that it sounds like she'll have to use some different buttons in different situations. WTF no changes to Dolphin and now overhead kiss combos midscreen?!

Chipp - glad that j2K is more anti-airable but flip me he can now continue pressure on block more easily?!

Pot - No changes to Garuda or being able to PRC HPB without tension? 

Ram - nerfing her jH is cool.

Nago - Only buffs, huh... 😭

Anji - Interesting - as a pretty huge damage character, allowing him to follow up Fuujin even on whiff is definitely pretty scary.

2 hours ago, imp said:

being able to PRC HPB without tension? 

Is that just cancelling the startup of HPB into PRC for a total of 50 meter? As a lot of characters can do that with their invincible supers.

50 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Is that just cancelling the startup of HPB into PRC for a total of 50 meter? As a lot of characters can do that with their invincible supers.

yeah, I know Faust can do it too as the meter isn’t used until later in the animation, but I thought he was the only other one!

I'll have to play a bit on Steam later this evening now, just to get some last minute fun in while the game is still balanced.

Spoiler

:hat: and before they add Cack-O

46 minutes ago, Benny said:

Faust and Goldlewis seem to have missed out the most among all these buffs. Despite being the characters in most need of actual buffs :lol:

IDK, as Goldlewis has developed, I don't think he's bad at all. He does an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage and can be really difficult to approach. Not to mention he's probably the scariest character in the game to be trapped in the corner against. Speeding up his 6P is doing him a crazy big favour too.

Faust is a difficult one because if a random item character is too strong it can make the game miserable. He's come a long way since launch already though, and can be really effective in the right hands; he has absolutely amazing space control tools and can be really hard to pin down. Add in the random factor and the frustration it causes and he's got good prospects.

Then again if you make a grappler too strong it can make the game miserable and that doesn't seemed to have deterred Arcsys re: Pot.

2 hours ago, imp said:

IDK, as Goldlewis has developed, I don't think he's bad at all. He does an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage and can be really difficult to approach. Not to mention he's probably the scariest character in the game to be trapped in the corner against. Speeding up his 6P is doing him a crazy big favour too.

Faust is a difficult one because if a random item character is too strong it can make the game miserable. He's come a long way since launch already though, and can be really effective in the right hands; he has absolutely amazing space control tools and can be really hard to pin down. Add in the random factor and the frustration it causes and he's got good prospects.

Then again if you make a grappler too strong it can make the game miserable and that doesn't seemed to have deterred Arcsys re: Pot.

Pot must definitely be stopped.

I just had a little play on my lunch break. Did Jack-O's combo trials but that didn't give me any help whatsoever in feeling out the character. Her song is pretty catchy though.

Didn't have much time, but I checked out Sol in training mode - I'm really sad at his 6S nerf - that was my go to OTG for continuing pressure after a CH VV, and it leaves him with only 6H to OTG afterwards in midscreen. In the corner you can use 2S instead now, which is alright as a replacement, but a shame you don't get the forward movement from the 6S which would let you pressure from up close immediately. Wild throw being buffed to allow a full combo via RRC is crazy though. Huge damage, put them back in the corner for continued pressure or just go straight for a big damage wall-break, it's all good. It's almost as crazy as May getting a full combo off her command grab without having to spend any tension!

Played through Jack O on arcade in hard. I'll likely get battered online but she's pretty fun, the servant stuff is pretty easy to bounce around at heights and interrupt jumping attacks. Her special is very satisfying but very high risk.

10 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Argh. She's so fun and I feel like I know nothing.

Agree, I took one look at the video and thought ‘nope, not for me’ but had a blast using her earlier. Great theme tune too.

Kicking a servant into May’s dolphin summoning face mid move is lovely.

22 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Argh. She's so fun and I feel like I know nothing.

I’m down for learning a new character tonight if you want to get some practice in? It’ll have to be on PS though as my computer’s network card seems to be on the way out. 

34 minutes ago, imp said:

I’m down for learning a new character tonight if you want to get some practice in? It’ll have to be on PS though as my computer’s network card seems to be on the way out. 

I'm in a random game tournament tonight but may be around on PS after!

Also my WiFi has decided to stop working in my laptop. Must be something going round.