Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

Hah yep, that sounds about right. I’ve noticed as his health goes down to about a third sometimes he just stands there like a lemon for a while. I think this is when he wants you to throw him. 

Guys, I made a very scientific tier list!

Qx96hoT.png

IDK what I'm trying to say really except maybe everyone seems pretty strong, even if they don't feel as silly powerful as the top 3. Or maybe I'm just at that stage in learning this particular GG where every matchup fills me with a certain amount of dread.

Fiiiiinally beat Level 9 Nago, with a Perfect in the first round, even. 74 losses!

Just one trophy left to for the platinum, the one where you land a counter hit on an opponent with max R.I.S.C gauge.

EDIT: Got it. I think Axl probably just isn't a character suited to it. I just chose Sol in arcade mode and mashed triangle til the trophy popped.

Here's a video of the strategy I used in case it helps anyone.

As imp said earlier the criteria to reach level 9 Nago is to not lose any round but if you do you can lose the entire fight and continue; you don't have to do the full arcade mode over again.

For level 8 Nago before he won't start with the bloodrage so you can't dash up throw but he will almost always teleport behind into throw range at the start of the first round so you can loop your bullshit. The second round he will usually start with a wee clone to bait throw tho.

Here's the last stretch of the Japanese 15v15 exhibition that went down last weekend with English commentary. The whole event was like 7 hours long, so I'm sure most people aren't gonna watch it, but definitely check this out if you have 40 minutes.

Spoiler

Do you know any good Ky player to follow?
Looking for one I found this video...

of KnowKami whose name and voice rang a bell and then I remember  that he was on a recent UltraChen Tuesdays show I listened while  at work.
Really nice healthy FGC guy. worth following.

Here is the interview

@daifuco Kizzie Kay was one of the most prominent US Ky players in Xrd, and he's using him in Strive as well (amongst other characters). He's a bit Youtube on his Youtube (I quite like him, but find his editing a bit much, personally), so the style might not be for you, but I'm sure his advice will be good. He's also an extremely high level player, so maybe some of his stuff will be a bit advanced, but I think just by watching him play you'll pick up some good stuff.

Meanwhile, life in heaven is a struggle. Most days have been alright but some you just get endlessly smashed. It's quite hard to tell if I'm actually improving in matchups - I've won sets against level 1000+ Pots, Millias, Zatos, Mays, and Chipps, but can get absolutely blasted by level 200 Mays and Sols, losing three straight quicker than you can say "learn to block". I've been grinding it out pretty hard though, I'm currently level 670 (boy does levelling slow down over level 500) and am ranked 452 in celestial wins, only 10 wins or so off of making the monthly cut-off for maintaining VIP status. Obviously this goes up every day though by about 20 or so, so I think I can make the cut if I commit to having no social life for the rest of the month. 😎

Whee! Up in the yellow zone now!

Actually having a very good day today - managed to beat a few players who pummelled me in the past, including two nasty Giovannas and one murderous Pot. Also, I realise my levelling only slowed down because I haven't been on a win streak longer than 3 matches since getting into heaven again! I went up about 50 levels on a 10 game-ish winstreak earlier!

So I played Alioune for two sets today. I got thrashed, as you might imagine, but not as badly as I expected. I took a couple of rounds, and think I could have actually won a game if I wasn't quite so nervous. Here's one that went so well he turned on beast mode afterwards! (Though I was still nervy enough to air throw the wrong way!)

Teno Media are doing their weekly fight clubs for Guilty Gear and had their first proper events this week, doing tournaments in Asia, Europe and North America back to back.

Here's the EU one, strangely featuring James Chen on commentary alongside the brits.

Good watch, IMO, and I've actually played sets on the celestial floor against at least 4 of the top 8! I saw the names and was like "ohh, so that's why I got smashed so severely."

Keen to watch that but I'm still only three hours into Big LEVO (which has been great; commentary has given some nice matchup insight too).

Had a fair while to play last night and went on a 54 win streak; admittedly 30 of those were against a fightin' game man from twitter but they'd definitely crush me in SFV so I'm happy enough with that. Did also get called a dickhead by someone I said "Good games!" to though, so it's a balance.

Still don't feel entirely comfortable when punishing opponents, and rarely capitalise well off stray hits. Need to practice some stronger wakeup pressure too. Axl has a safe jump meaty j.HS that seems very effective but it's a jump cancel instant air dash and I'm terrible at timing it. Double-dipped on PC though, so I can sneak in some cheeky practice at work, haha.

Niiiice!

I just watched the US edition of ICFC this morning, and I would recommend at least the top 8 if you'd like to hear Justin Wong exclaim "The booty is too good!". Also Reynald, a very aggro Axl, appears quite a lot, and definitely has some cheeky tech for the pilfering.

I've not had much in the way of trash talk come my way, but yesterday I'm pretty sure someone took the time to write "Sol players eat glue" after our match :D

I think the worst thing I have seen though is someone changed their automated loss message to "Did you earn it?". Blehhhhhh!

Oh I didn't even know you could change those auto-messages. I wish the chat log had a filter to show only manual messages, so I can enjoy the public salt. Maybe it does; the menus are incredibly busy and I'm scared to click anything in case I have to wait on a server for 5 minutes.

Finally got on on Steam the last few evenings. I seem to be stable around floor 5, with all the mashy scrubs, where I probably belong. Surprisingly few Sol players down here, so that simply encouraged my 6S, gunflame, dash, 6S, gunflame bullying.

Top tip if you're on PC: regardless of your other graphics settings, set Effects to Best - there is a bug with the setting it seems that means if you don't set it to the highest there is a ridiculous bloom effect applied to the whole screen that hides the pixel perfect characters in a blurry mess.

Either way, it doesn't seem to be an especially demanding game anyway, I set all settings to max (apart from motion blur) at 1080p with no resolution scaling, on a GTX1060 laptop, and I couldn't get it to go under 60fps no matter how many super moves I cranked out.

Good grief, it's only half way through the month and I'm absolutely knackered. I gave myself the challenge of staying within the top 10% of players in the celestial wins leaderboard so I maintain my VIP status through next month's reset, but boy is it a grind. I'm currently rank 282 out of the 404 spots that maintain VIP status at time of writing, maintaining a 70ish game buffer. (I have about 450 wins, the cutoff at the time of writing is 380ish.)

It doesn't help that my work schedule has been really intense the last week, meaning I've had to force myself to play a few times (mostly at awkward hours) when tired, just to maintain my numbers. I'm definitely not going to try to do the same next month. After that I think I'll either look to rejoin the rat race for VIP if I want to fight up in heaven, or just search for matches via discord. 

Obviously having put in a lot of time though, I do actually feel like I've improved these last couple of weeks, even though I find it quite nebulous to put my finger on exactly what aspects of my game have improved. Playing mostly the same tough bastards every day can be kind of stressful, but when you notice yourself doing better against players who used to steal your lunch money it's pretty satisfying. On that note, I finally got my rematch against BlackAce today, and actually won the set 2-1! I cannot believe it - last time he almost perfected me 6 rounds in a row!

On the other hand though, when someone you usually beat suddenly 3-0's you, well, that can bum you out, even though it shouldn't. And in that same vein, I have to conclude that it's actually impossible to learn the May matchup. No matter how much tech you accrue, you can only learn to fight the player, not the character.

Also, I've decided to enter the next Big Levo, coming up next Sunday. I haven't played in a competition since the last Heggfest, so I'm sure nerves are going to eat me alive. But hey, it'll good practice for Evo, coming up two weeks after, eh!

I would be up for some games this weekend but I suspect the skill gap is now too great to not get a relentless pounding from everyone else posting regularly in here... I'll be on it on and off anyway if anyone fancies meeting in the PC lobbies.

I had a couple of comfortable wins in my Celestial Challenge last night and felt "this is pretty do-able" then got absolutely and completely obliterated by an I-No player. Once they're in an on the high-low I simply cannot defend. Too fast!

Next time up I got more than destroyed by a Leo player. I don't think I've seen many since the beta but I definitely now know that his counter also works against Supers.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I would be up for some games this weekend but I suspect the skill gap is now too great to not get a relentless pounding from everyone else posting regularly in here... I'll be on it on and off anyway if anyone fancies meeting in the PC lobbies.

I've barely played because of VF5, so I definitely wouldn't be pulling off anything too crazy. I'll give you an add.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

I had a couple of comfortable wins in my Celestial Challenge last night and felt "this is pretty do-able" then got absolutely and completely obliterated by an I-No player. Once they're in an on the high-low I simply cannot defend. Too fast!

Next time up I got more than destroyed by a Leo player. I don't think I've seen many since the beta but I definitely now know that his counter also works against Supers.

To this day I still have to remind myself to block Stroke the Big Tree low as for some reason the animation looks to me like you need to block it high?! I didn't see that many Leo players in the tower either, but rest assured, once you get to heaven there's always a few knocking about!

12 minutes ago, imp said:

To this day I still have to remind myself to block Stroke the Big Tree low as for some reason the animation looks to me like you need to block it high?!

Glad it's not just me :lol:

I've been far too busy/tired to play much recently, but did have a celestial challenge this week. Failed on the 6th fight and got kicked out, so nearly there at least!

Still not settled on a character, but might be closer after tonight. Played a long set as Nago after a decent stint in training and there's something really satisfying about getting the opening and deleting a ton of health from the opponent. Also breaking the wall from round start is pretty cool too!

Any H normal into the dash into more things is also pretty fun. Definitely spending more time with him now, although the character announcement next week may upset this recent progress.

Since mentioning to @joffocakes I hadn't had much in the way of rage mail last week, I've suffered an absolute deluge of it over the weekend.

My two favourites were a Zato player who chided me by saying "Sol Top 1. Patetic [sic]." And "GGs Sol vortex monkey boy" from a RAMLETHAL PLAYER.

Well, at least it makes sense in this game where Sol is a genuinely good character. Before, when I was playing XX getting games on Sajam's discord, people were generally quite friendly, but one time I had a guy stop during a set after only a few games, saying "I can't play against Sol any more, I'm too salty". He started complaining in the discord, and I was just being polite, expecting people to say "dude, chill, Sol is mid-low tier in this game", but no, the discord erupted in a sea of dislike for the character, people complaining about how good his options were and how any time you get hit by Sol you feel dumb. I was gobsmacked. This was talk coming from a guy who played Order Sol, an even more aggro version of the character with trickier mix ups and an unreactable short/low jump combined with a jH that has such a good hitbox & hurtbox that it's virtually impossible to anti-air!

I mean, I do get it - I know how bad it feels to get Kenned in SF, where you feel like they're just doing shit and getting rewarded while you're "trying to play the game" with your "honest" character, but damn, Sol makes people mad, huh! 

14 hours ago, imp said:

but no, the discord erupted in a sea of dislike for the character, people complaining about how good his options were and how any time you get hit by Sol you feel dumb.

This is standard Guilty Gear. Every player will tell you how fun the game is but if you ask them to describe any matchup they'll just say how much they hate it :lol:

New character announcment at 2AM. Not hoping for much, just that it's someone I like and they drop immediately!