Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

I played last night for the first time in a week and it was about 20 minutes of people quitting at the matchup screen before I got to play. First against a buttons-y Anji who left after one fight and then I got utterly mauled by an I-No's high-low corner game to lose the set 10-1 overall.

I had fun, but it was clear even in the rounds I won that I had no idea what I was doing.

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I played last night for the first time in a week and it was about 20 minutes of people quitting at the matchup screen before I got to play. First against a buttons-y Anji who left after one fight and then I got utterly mauled by an I-No's high-low corner game to lose the set 10-1 overall.

I had fun, but it was clear even in the rounds I won that I had no idea what I was doing.

Yeah, I-no takes a bit of labbing. You can mash jab out of a lot of her air pressure, but I'm not sure about Axl doing this specifically. I'd say her low approaches are more dangerous in this game anyway, so try and find something that will interrupt H Stroke the Big Tree when she does it from a distance. You can also throw it, but that takes some insane reactions or a hard read.

I'd noticed people being a bit picky about playing me in the parks as well, until I removed my badge that said I was on floor 10. 

Ah cool, I'll get to the lab. I need to learn some basic punishes anyway, nevermind character-specific counters.

Axl is probably supposed to suffer once cornered anyway, by design. His fastest normal is his 6 frame standing kick and Super is his only invincible reversal. Which is fair enough because he's an arsehole.

On 24/06/2021 at 00:16, imp said:

People don't seem to think Anji is that great but honestly I'm still not really sure what's going on - or at least I don't know what's real and what's nonsense with the character!

I have it on good authority that the answer to Fujin is DP (S version for Sol). Only a gapless low follow up from Anji would beat the DP. 

Edited by Jonster
gapless, not hapless.

Finally got scudded raw by imp's Sol yesterday! Incredibly tough stuff and I look forward to getting right back at it.

He mercifully switched characters to a few he was less familiar with but there were still plenty of straight-up maulings.

Got absolutely battered by a Chipp player earlier today, 18-0 in the end. Tried to counter triple-jumps into the tazmanian devil dive kick thing but absolutely never succeeded. Seems positive on block too since I was never able to contest it successfully (other than a throw a few times but he mostly lands out of range).

Fought my first May player and suffered my first dolphin duffing, despite being fully aware it was A Thing in advance. Set ended 20-10 in my favour in the end though, I'm pleased that many players are happy to stick it out and learn.

No highlights where I'm actually good yet but I love how daft the time freeze super is. I keep forgetting it exists then all of a sudden all I wanna do is land it.

Nice job on the May matchup! I find stuffing her dolphin to be the best possible thing as it completely lets you avoid the post-dolphin RPS that usually occurs after you block it. Easier said than done, of course. Perhaps the scariest thing about her is her jH though, that move is like a flipping wall she puts up...

Very much looking forward to playing you again next time Joffo, I can tell that Axl is going to be very, very pesky soon enough!

Meanwhile, I managed to get into the VIP!

Taunted by Choo telling me he’d earned VIP earlier this evening thanks to the practice against Sol, I decided to get cracking myself. 

I headed up and tried not to be fussy about who I fought. First up was a level 500 Gio. I got almost double perfected. 

With the wind taken out of my sails, my mentality was just “let’s get this over with” and so I fought the first person who came up to me, instead of planning any particular strategy. It was a Leo, Choo’s character. A character who, despite my recent practice fighting, I still find terrifying. He can out-button Sol in the mid range, has very scary oki because it's impossible to calculate all his options at any given moment, has very high damage and even a meterless combo into super.

I got astoundingly mauled in the first round, and dropped every combo I started. Just as I was mentally composing a text to Choo to say how the practice hadn’t done me any good whatsoever, I squeaked the second round. And then the third, again by the skin of my teeth. This trend continued, and somehow, despite them all being tight games, I won all three in the set. I was two games away from VIP status!

Again, I played the first player I saw, a Pot who I surmised from the loading screen had only just made it to heaven. I haven’t played a level 10 pot since maybe day 3 of the game, so was pretty scared going in, but as soon as the game started I could tell he was nervous. I still lost the first round, because of stupid Pot damage, but found my footing in the second and third bouts, winning both quite comfortably. I was actually surprised he rematched - most of the opponents I'd beaten in my few previous attempts had all bounced after losing only once.

I was totally in my groove the second game though, winning the first round with ease. I could tell he was really nervous about being booted from heaven at this point. The second round begun and I got the immediate fS combo and pushed him right to the corner. From there, every read I made was correct. 

I kept him locked in that corner tight, even air throwing his back megafist to hail mary out of the pressure. It didn’t take long before the damage had built up and the stress was mounting. I did a scrubby little trick of RRC'ing bandit bringer into 2K to test him high then low, and then cancelled the 2K into dust, going high again. He got mixed. I got the perfect, and the VIP status. 😎

Edit: The round in question:

So, I've played a few matches in Heaven, getting Sol from level 112 to 325. I have no idea how well I'm doing overall, but I doubt my win % is much over 50.

LS9fwKg.png

Heaven is kinda wild. The range of skill level in there is actually pretty big, but I guess that's to be expected. Everyone's doing pretty big damage combos in there though, so you learn to tighten up your play pretty quick! I feel a million times more comfortable against I-no, May, Millia, Nago, Leo and Anji thanks to my time up there though - the room always feels full of them. Conversely, I am much more scared of Ram and Axl than I used to be! Pretty sure Sol is the most common character up there though, and I'm so, so, so bad at mirror matches. My only strategy is to press the same buttons as my opponent, but half a second too late. It's not great, tbh. I have no idea how I lose the round start 4 times out of 5 either, when we both press fS! 

The funny thing is how different it feels to fight up there when you've earned VIP status - it took me 3 attempts to get in there and every time I was chest-poundingly nervous. I was dropping combos and generally playing over-conservatively, two things which feed each other, creating a vicious cycle of nerves and failure. Since getting the VIP pass though, I've played a few challengers who try their luck against me, and haven't lost a single set. It's kind of amazing how much better I play when I don't feel like there are any stakes! I guess the moral of the story is...I shouldn't enter any tournaments?

Err, anyway, I guess I hope I'm not as nervy once VIP status resets and I need to re-earn it!

This game is funny, I think I've posted about gaining confidence in the May matchup about six times now, but I swear, this time it's true! I went a whole day without losing a set to a May yesterday, including in sets against players who had 3-0'd me repeatedly in the past. I'm not sure May is actually the Ken of GGST now though - I find Leo players are much more raggo in general at this point. I think only Sol players wake up DP more than Leos.

Also managed to gain some more confidence against Chipp yesterday as well. It's like a whole different game if you can force them to sit still and respect you early. Also played a bit of Chipp in training mode for the first time. I don't think he's a character I'll ever totally get on with, but he is definitely fun to zip around the screen doing nonsense. Also his wall run corner combo looks gloriously stupid when executed.

I'm enjoying fighting Zatos the most at the moment though - you get put in such interesting situations with weird move interactions, but unlike in previous games, it doesn't feel totally insurmountable when you get sandwiched. @JLM How are your puppeteering skills coming along? I get the feeling you're going to be a monster considering your proclivity for clean, clean play.

I am absolutely clueless about how to deal with Chipp; they'll triple-jump then Tasmanian Devil down on me and be at advantage if I block. I thought Axl's 2S would be perfect for dealing with that but it's just not the correct angle. I'll need to take it to the lab; they're often doing it in neutral so I should probably dash under for a big punish or something.

I also have a terrible habit of using Burst at the first hint of a combo when I likely should be saving it for near-er death situations. Keep forgetting Yellow RC exists as well.

I spent a bit of time on Tuesday night practicing Axl's corner 4xBomber loop (or 3 into Super) then last night tried to put it into practice. Got the first and second hits but it caused a wallsplat early which threw me and I just did 2HS in a panic. Soon though, I will land it. Got a touch more consistent with the 2S anti-air counter-hit into P, 6K [4]6S. I'm unsure if it's charge partitioning or just a short charge time but it's tight timing either way.

Yeah, Chipp's j.2K is just very pesky to deal with, as are all moves that come down from squarely above you in GG. (See May's j.2H as well!)

If Chipp's doing it from really high up, I can pre-emptively 2H or 6P it with Sol, but tbh I don't think the risk is worth it. If he's doing the move midscreen, I sometimes try to backdash, but the homing on the move can mess things up. In the corner though, the best meterless thing I've been able to lab is just jumping forwards and thereby automatically blocking it as it hits crossup. It puts enough space between you and Chipp that you can counter poke as well. I've managed to get an auto-cross-cut DP some times in the lab, but can't manage this consistently so don't try it in actual games.

IMO the best answer is just block and FD - if you do this while he's in the air you can counter and beat his 2K when he's on the floor. And even if you're late FDing and only push back the 2K 2D when he's landed you'll still put enough space between you that his command grab will whiff if he tries that, so you won't need to worry about it.

Oh man, there was server maintenance this morning, and as it's a new month VIP status has been reset. Guess that answers the question of when the resets will occur and to whom. Man, I thought it would be mid-month since the game came out on the 11th, but nope! It was a nice four days in heaven... Guess I know what I'll have to do later...

I've been absolutely exhausted recently so barely put any time into this. I've had a nice foray around most the cast and found myself back on Ram. Think I may stay there now, at least until DLC characters start coming out.

Found out about using Dauro drift PRC to extend combos in midscreen situations and managed to implement it into zero matches so far. I feel like I need a gameplan beyond pressing f.S and 5H, but that will come with more play I think.

12 minutes ago, Jonster said:

I've been absolutely exhausted recently so barely put any time into this.

Yup, same here. Still only really done the missions and a bit of grinding out a couple of BnBs. Chronic sleep issues make a lot of the games I love pretty rough going :(

Total first-world problems etc. but I've got to admit, the 'communicating with server' nonsense also really puts me off firing the game up. If you want a quick mess around in training mode five minutes to get to the main menu just ain't it. There's actually some comedy genius in how you get a dialog with a glacial progress bar then when it's full you get a series of new dialogs for the same thing popping up. Hoping they'll patch in having to accept those Bandai-Namco terms and conditions every time at some point just to cap it off.

Yeah I haven't powered my PS5 off other than the restart for System Updates; used Rest Mode for Demon's Souls, Yakuza Like a Dragon and Guilty Gear with no issues.

The Activity Cards are great too, mostly for loading straight into training in seconds without any title screen, menu or Communicating with server hurdles.

Switched it up and decided to play some PC where my level is more modest. Almost made it back into heaven, but lost the first to an expert Zato and the 5th game to sickeningly good Faust. IDK, maybe trying to get into heaven the day after your second jab is not the one.

I just started playing after 2 weeks struggling wit gout. Playing on PC. I basically go to dustloop wiki and learn bits about Ky while training mode, then I go online , I forget everything and mash every single button. It is nice to be on the 4th 5th floor being surrounded by so many scrubs like me.

This game deserves so succeed.