IGNORED

Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

All the air-dashing and super jumps in GG, make me think i should use this game as an excuse to practice on my hitbox.

That way i wont be thinking about  SFV, which I've been playing a lot of lately.

Muscle memory is a bitch! So starting fresh aka frustrated might be the key.

Leo, Sol, Ky, Gio, May and Anji are all straight forward strike or throw characters. Leo is slightly more complex than the others as he has two stances. Ram is also very easy to play, but also marginally more complex than the others mentioned above as her moves change depending on whether she’s thrown her swords or not.

On 17/06/2021 at 09:33, Jonster said:

I've had no issues with the PC version although the player rooms currently have a little issue if you want a private one. If you search via a code it returns a whole list of rooms instead of the specific one with that ID. Was still happening after maintenance when I last tried, but meeting in a park is easier for now.

PC version just had a patch to fix this.

So, last night I was playing some ranked and got my first invite up to the celestial floor. To earn VIP status (which means you no longer get booted up and down floors) you need to win 5/6 games - i.e. you can lose once but not twice. First I played another challenger using May and won the first game. Second game was close but I lost by a hair. Guy quits. Annoying, but whatever. 

I go challenge the only person not in a match, a Ram player named BlackAce567. There’s not a lot of choice, as only 11 people are up there, but I see that he’s VIP status. I figure I’d give it a shot - I'm unlikely to get VIP status this time since I already lost a match, but it would be good to get used to the level of player up there. As I load in I notice his level is 1350 or so. Yikes. 

I got smashed.

Well, whatever, I try to figure something out during the rest of the set but don’t learn a single thing. Next up I fight a Nagoriyuki player. I should have taken the first game but dropped the winning combo. Then I get beaten so hard the game not only kicks me out of heaven but I get demoted to 9th floor too!

I gave up for the night but upon browsing the rankings today, I check out the leaderboard for highest level player and who do I see sitting on number fucking one spot, but BlackAce567!

…I am NOT fighting him again next time!

Omg, he’s actually the player with the most wins on the celestial floor as well. 1335 wins!

Speaking of overall wins though…

😎

BlackAce is the best In Europe at Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and previously qualified for the Arc Revo Tour World finals in that game. He has played anime fighters once or twice before, is what I’m saying. 

That is definitely what I get for not knowing about the euro scene at all. JLM, it’s been a minute! How are you getting on with the game?

Haha thought it might be comforting to know that he is a man of some renown. 

I am waaay behind on this. Against all odds, I really enjoy the current iteration of SFV. It took them a while to get there but they've arrived at a really fun Streetfighter game. I also have a discord group of fight game mans who wouldn't play anything else with me for a while, so I got sucked into SFV lobbies. This then spiralled into streaming ranked sessions on discord whilst being coached/heckled by them. Then naturally I had to try and get to Diamond Rank before I could stop. 

I've done that now, so it is time to move on to Strive at last. Having a friend over tomorrow for a learning day. Will spend the whole day in the lab, then the house sessions and the lobbings will be on. The other issue I have is that I played May in both betas, but I'm reluctant to be yet another May player. She seems to be the Ken of the game in online circles. I mean Sol is also the Ken of the game, but he gets a free pass to be "that guy" in all Guilty Gear games. His name is even Badguy. I also find May's playstyle a lot less interesting than it was in the previous games. It's not in keeping with the spirit of this GG so I can see why they're gone, but I loved her little set play dolphins she had before. 

I have also decided to forego Anji and make the extremely ambitious decision to try and learn Zato. I love puppet characters but they're always far too difficult to play. This is the best chance I've had to play as one in a game where regular humans can do the things. I already know it's still going to be tough, but compared to learning him in an older GG it's night and day. So I'm gonna give it a go. I'm gonna get mauled relentlessly and we will see if that breaks me or not, but on the launch roster he is currently the most appealing character to me. 

I will join you gents in lobbies when I am a bit more prepared. 

Also, Ghost from my local scene has set up a Strive EU Discord server and will be running weekly tournaments. He's been running USF4 tournaments and full league seasons all the way through lockdown and I have been in most of them, so I can attest that he runs a tight tournament and a quality stream. Also it's a handy server for finding people to play with and chat about the game. 

https://discord.gg/mzs4KUK3

If anyone wants in. Tournaments start next weekend but a good few people on there looking for games already. 

Ooh, it's actually quite nice to know that the (probably) final version of SFV is a good game now. I haven't touched it since season 2 because I used to live in a house with fisher price internet, but maybe I'll pick up the missing seasons once they're on sale and play it for maybe 40 minutes.

Zato sounds like a rad plan! I agree, he's the least intimidating puppet character I've seen because of how streamlined Strive is as a whole, so wishing you good luck on that! Also, Zato is shaping up to be pretty beastly it looks like, I've seen PepperySplash (IIRC? It was an ACR venom player, I think) do some filthy, filthy baits by unsummoning Eddie and then punishing the other player's attempt to hit Eddie...

May and Sol definitely both make people really mad. It does not feel to get hit by either of them in any version of GG that I've played! And May definitely makes you feel dumb in that way that a lot of charge characters do - the approach to the matchup takes a fair bit of learning so you tend to make a lot of mistakes against her, and every time you get hit you hate yourself a little more. I would be happy if you kept her as a pocket character though - it's good to stay sharp against that character, and the quality of Mays online is so varied. BTW, back when I was playing a lot of ACR on Sajam's discord, most people were generally really nice, but a couple of guys got really salty about losing to Sol - one was even a Holy Order Sol player (the mental gymnastics are fun to imagine there).

I've joined that discord and will definitely be up for those Tournaments. I'm splitting my time between my flat in London and my mum's house down south this summer as my dad recently passed away. I'll be there this weekend so won't be doing a tournament on her wifi, but definitely sign up the next time I'm in London for a weekend.

I am still very crap at this game, and there are a lot of mechanics i completely forgot about since Xrd, but i do like it a lot. This version especially.

I dabbled with the whole cast yesterday in an effort to diversify, and a couple felt okay-ish, but the only one that gelled immediately, and felt 'right', was Leo. I've played him before, but i normally shy away from charge characters. He's a hybrid mix of both, and charges in GG are so fast its untrue.

I'm not used to rush-down fighting games (or at least, i've never played that way), so maybe thats why i find this game so intriguing. 

Now i need to pry myself away from SFV and practice this. 

Congrats @imp on your insane streak! I knew from meeting you at Mordor Mashup back in the day you had mad skills.  ;) 

I think Leo will suit you pretty well - IIRC you liked Gouken with his counters, right? Leo's also got the big, satisfying buttons.

I've been enjoying playing on PS5 this evening, especially for the improved clipping and sharing functionality. Please watch my holiday slides:

Whew, my blood's been boiling a few times with this. Generally a good kind of boiling though.

Is there any way to swap your entry character when you're in training waiting for a match, or do you have to quit out to the lobby for whatever reason? Got smoked with Giovanna and wanted to swap to Ky for a bit, but it wasn't keen on letting me do so quickly.

I set up my first player lobby/house tonight, and like the other games and their social hubs its kinda cool, but even something as simple as changing the battle settings, or god forbid, character change after rounds is such a pain in the arse!

Once we figured it out, it was excellent. And the game is too! Best choice i made was Giovanna, because she seems very rudimentary, and i spent all my rounds pressing normals. Its amazing how fast you adjust and acclimatise to the pace of this game. It's simply glorious!

I was pretty tired yesterday, and couldn't quite face going into the tower for ranked, so decided to have a crack at the superboss of arcade mode.

To get to him, you need to do the following:

Spoiler

Win the first 6 games without dropping a round.

Win the special version of fight 7 without dropping a round.

Win the special version of fight 8 without dropping a round.

And then... you have to endure some absolute nonsense. Full on classic input reading AI, an insane amount of health, and the boss can just end the round at almost any point when the mood takes him, because he's capable of dealing 70% damage from random hits. There's a couple of interesting wrinkles though:

Spoiler

When you hit him, the blood gauge goes down, and when it reaches zero, he gets stunned. Also, he takes very little damage from normal attacks, but loses a chunk of life to wall breaks and dust combo homing hits. So the optimal method becomes stunning him during a medium sized combo (too long and he'll recover) and then doing a dust launcher for an extra combo in the air. This also gives you a little extra time to try and manipulate the AI without getting anti-aired for 50% life, as you can move first after the homing attack, and get him in an AI loop which stuns him again if you're lucky.

I gotta say, this was tedious to the extreme, but strangely satisfying to pull off. I'd fought him over a hundred times over the course of a couple of hours in a previous attempt, and this time it still took me 40ish fights before I succeeded, including about 10 games which I almost almost almost pulled it off. Anyway, since the entire fight was mad long I couldn't post it all to twitter (or even capture it all - I didn't realise the fight took over 5 minutes!) but anyone interested can watch the final, agonising round here:

Spoiler

Oh holy fucking fuck I was on a pretty good run - 5 wins in a row on floor 10 sent me straight up to heaven, and four wins and one loss later I was one measly round away from VIP status when I fucking dropped the winning combo and then blocked fucking low against a zero IQ chip player who went for the unsafe overhead at the end of every pressure string. AAAAAARGH.

Well. I double dipped since the deluxe edition was £30 from cdkeys and I wanted to play Choo. I'm playing it on my flatmate's entertainment centre PC in the living room, so it only runs at 720p, but at least it's stable and not dropping frames. Did a little run through the tower to acclimatise - straight up to floor 10 with minimal fuss - although I have to say floor 8 was a bit dicey - lots of players who know good combos but are kinda reckless / won't respect plus frames. If you see a little man in a trench coat running around with the moniker "Better Col Sol", give him a little punch and I'll fight you.

Ooh, just fought a FT5 (because I stopped when I won 5) against a celestial Ky player 5-2. This is promising! :D Even hit a clean hit VV combo I'd been practising all day. 

2 hours ago, imp said:

Well. I double dipped since the deluxe edition was £30 from cdkeys and I wanted to play Choo. I'm playing it on my flatmate's entertainment centre PC in the living room, so it only runs at 720p, but at least it's stable and not dropping frames. Did a little run through the tower to acclimatise - straight up to floor 10 with minimal fuss - although I have to say floor 8 was a bit dicey - lots of players who know good combos but are kinda reckless / won't respect plus frames. If you see a little man in a trench coat running around with the moniker "Better Col Sol", give him a little punch and I'll fight you.

I bought it on PC so expect I'll get on sometime over the weekend.

I won't have access to the PC version this weekend as I'll be away from home for another week. 😬

I just found out about combotier.com, which is an amazing resource for anyone learning the game. It basically has a list of combos for each character which are laid out in easy to read in-game style notation, alongside a short video showcasing the combo alongside. 

So I've done the thing where attempting to get better at the game opens you up to a world of self-doubt and frustration. I've been trying to implement a couple of clean hit combos - one for midscreen and a couple of corner combos which allow a wall-splat without having to spend meter for RC. Other than dealing more damage, getting the clean hit also earns you a hard knockdown - perfect for Sol to continue pressure. The problem with these combos is that they are pretty droppable because the timing is character weight dependant, and even worse, if you miss the VV at the end you open yourself up for massive counter hit combos.

So yeah, it's just that classic stage for me where you're going to be losing a bunch because execution is hard and you're also expending too many mental resources to try and hit these stupid combos instead of actually trying to fight your opponent!

When you do hit those combos on the other hand...it feels amazing!

So, two weeks into playing the game now and I feel like my most feared opponents are now Chipp, Nago, Leo and Millia. Just because they have the hardest to block stuff in the game at the moment. Millia I'm just about getting the hang of now, and is probably the least scary of these as her damage output is much lower. I think because Jonster has fought me so much, I actually quite enjoy fighting Ram - escaping corner lockdown is very, very satisfying. Either that or there are just many fraudulent Rams at the top of the tower as no-one knew how to escape the corner during the first week...

I think the characters I've fought least now are I-no and Anji. People don't seem to think Anji is that great but honestly I'm still not really sure what's going on - or at least I don't know what's real and what's nonsense with the character! I-no seems substantially less scary than in previous games, but with a complex character like her it's still early days I think.

Also, completely unrelated, Axl's walk animation is amazing.

Decided to play some ranked on PC this morning, so I wouldn't feel the pressure too much if I got a celestial challenge. Did fairly well on floor 10 after a rocky start, but eventually got 7 wins in a row and thought it weird I hadn't been beamed up to heaven yet. I quit just before lunch and noticed the celestial floor is accessible to me, even though I never got the cutscene that sends you up there! Weird bug I guess.