Jump to content

Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!


Kayin Amoh
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thinking about it, I think they've done an incredible job of rebalancing the damage since the last beta. Although damage is still HIGH, making everything feel knife-edge tense, the rounds themselves were rarely too short, and I always felt like I had a chance to make a comeback. Time per bout, it feels very close to ACR to me. I think they may have gone a touch overboard with the meter though. Whereas last time I felt like I didn't have enough to always do an RC for the extension when I landed a combo, this time I always had meter to spare in no time at all. Can't say I loved basically always having to watch out for reversal super after 15 seconds every round though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've already preordered the game digitally and I'm pretty satisfied with what I'll be getting.

I do enjoy how chunky and satisfying a lot of the buttons are, and the damage is wildly high. Counters feel great to land but they're probably way too frequent for such a big hitfreeze moment; it's so long I've mistimed chain combos a few times.

 

It does feel like combo routes can be a little limited but only really because I'm comparing it to earlier Guilty Gear games, and even then it's mostly from a spectator's point of view. The lack of gatling chains does feel odd for Guilty Gear, and the shorter confirms remind me of the changes from SFIV to SFV (though thankfully normals in Strive don't feel as stubby as SFV) which I don't mind at all as a player. I'm sure the game will still be great to watch at high level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, imp said:

Thinking about it, I think they've done an incredible job of rebalancing the damage since the last beta. Although damage is still HIGH, making everything feel knife-edge tense, the rounds themselves were rarely too short, and I always felt like I had a chance to make a comeback. Time per bout, it feels very close to ACR to me. I think they may have gone a touch overboard with the meter though. Whereas last time I felt like I didn't have enough to always do an RC for the extension when I landed a combo, this time I always had meter to spare in no time at all. Can't say I loved basically always having to watch out for reversal super after 15 seconds every round though!

 

Doing heavy mob cemetery through an air fireball happy Ky for like 60% got me a little giddy, not gonna lie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I've already preordered the game digitally and I'm pretty satisfied with what I'll be getting.

I do enjoy how chunky and satisfying a lot of the buttons are, and the damage is wildly high. Counters feel great to land but they're probably way too frequent for such a big hitfreeze moment; it's so long I've mistimed chain combos a few times.

 

It does feel like combo routes can be a little limited but only really because I'm comparing it to earlier Guilty Gear games, and even then it's mostly from a spectator's point of view. The lack of gatling chains does feel odd for Guilty Gear, and the shorter confirms remind me of the changes from SFIV to SFV (though thankfully normals in Strive don't feel as stubby as SFV) which I don't mind at all as a player. I'm sure the game will still be great to watch at high level.

 

Yeah, I've had that problem with C O U N T E R (and the occasional RRC) meaning I've hit the next part of the combo too early to juggle properly, but I figure that's something that'll become easier with time.

 

I was also reminded a lot of the SFIV -> V changes at first, but like you say, at least the normals aren't as stubby. I think we're just going to have to wait and see if the game feels similarly limited in the long run though.

 

I think combos do feel a bit short and simplistic at the moment, but I've been watching a bunch of high level players on youtube/twitch, and they're already doing some wild nonsense. Like, with Sol I will do his standard 2K 6S BR RRC 5S 2H BB combo but people like Deb or Sajam will do 2K dash cancel 5S dash cancel 2K 6S GF 5S 5H BR etc. after the RRC, so I think there's a lot of scope for flash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Spuck said:

 

Doing heavy mob cemetery through an air fireball happy Ky for like 60% got me a little giddy, not gonna lie.

 

Anji's reversal super is my fave at the moment. It's soooo active for a reversal super, and does huge damage. Also, you can even reversal projectiles at moderate distance for slightly reduced damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on the showcase for this at Red Bull Kumite, and there are some quality matches.

 

Of particular note are Leffen vs Lost Soul and FAB vs Nage, be sure to check those out.

 

 

Also, there's a little peek at what private lobbies look like. I look forward to inviting you all to my chateau in the near future!

 

Tutorial mode seems very similar to Xrd, which is very good indeed.

 

Also there's a sneaky mini set with Punk and Crimson in there which you'll find hidden after that segment that's great fun too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay there’s some more general information now. First DLC character is coming a month after release, a brand new character. Then a returning character a month after that. Then three more characters in autumn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also planning a free update to all players which includes a combo maker mode which you can share with friends, and visual customisation options for your closed lobby chalet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game is available for pre-download now (assuming you've got a pre-order for a version which has early access). Seems like the game will unlock tomorrow at midnight. I look forward to waking up excitedly at 5am to bash my head against combo trials until it's time to start work on Tuesday morning. Or getting up at 5am only to realise the game won't actually unlock until much, much later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is wild. Unfortunately for you I’m staying at my mum’s this week and I’ve installed my PS4 here, so I’ll still be using Ram when I’m down here. On WiFi no less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.