Guilty Gear -Strive-. Out now!

Kayin Amoh

Yeah ditto.

I had a bad time with Faust against a Ramenthal earlier, he doesn't seem to have a lot of answers for her superior range and speed. And I find in a corner he really suffers. Main problem seems to be just how slow all his attacks are to wind up. Your predictive game has to be pretty high to be any good with him I think.

Now that there's been a few open betas for impressions, I'm curious what the Rllmuk fighting pros think of it, and does it seem like the kind of fighter that could take off and become really popular? (Or at least, more so than Guilty Gear is usually)

Yeah, the hype around this one is huge. It's the start of a new generation of fighters, everything out there bar Granblue feels pretty old, and although that got a lot of interest at launch, the netcode wasn't good enough to sustain a scene through covid. SFV also lost a lot of interest over its lifetime for a few reasons, I think inarguably due to the poor netcode, but also my gut feeling is that maybe it was a bit too simplified (or less satisfyingly designed) compared to IV, and the competitive scene wasn't as captivating as a result too. GGACR has had a huge resurgence thanks to the hype for Strive and the rollback netcode, so I think there's definitely a lot of players who are interested and have the time to dedicate to the game.

Basically, I think there's a lot of people who like fighting games ready to jump in, but ultimately it'll be how the game holds up in the long run which will determine how long it'll spend in the spotlight.

Also, I'm back online now!

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

Couldn't get passed the draining health mechanic on those matches :lol:

you have to do his (command?) grab - bloodsucking universe to reduce the blood meter. Other than that, you were doing some nice damage and playing pretty smart - I think he suits you!

1 hour ago, imp said:

you have to do his (command?) grab - bloodsucking universe to reduce the blood meter. Other than that, you were doing some nice damage and playing pretty smart - I think he suits you!

Also making contact with S and H moves helps slow the meter too.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Guess that's it for the day then. GGs @imp

I never really played Ramenthal before so gave her a quick go before the servers closed... What is this disgustingly cheap nonsense?

Yes, GGs, and thanks for enduring so much Ram. I played basically only Sol on friday, mainly Anji yesterday, so decided to focus on her while I could today. She's crazy strong in this version though, for sure. I think they were trying to nerf her corner pressure with her swords, but honestly I feel it's even stronger in this version. Also despite nerfing her wall carry, they made it easier to start combos in mid-screen. I think she'll get hit with the nerf stick before release though. It's interesting, although I don't quite feel as comfortable with her over Sol at this point, I think she's potentially going to end up being my main as I'm so much more comfortable against characters I struggle with as Sol, while as being comfortable against his good matchups too. I think Nago is quite hard to fight as Ram, but that's about it!

Very, very excited for the full release in 3 weeks' time and hope they iron out the remaining connection niggles before release.

3 minutes ago, imp said:

Uh, so I didn’t close the game when the beta finished, just put the ps5 to sleep while in training mode. Now I just woke it up to find I’m still able to play?!

Shh, don't tell them. Get the training drills in....

So after this session what is everyone's vote for cheapest move in the game?

Personally I vote for Sol's Forward + Slash command normal. It just has insane and deceptive range, rather fast activation time, almost no risk and you can chain with stuff pretty easily

Hello pals, been a while.

Only got to play the beta a bit this time round, but it's very gorgeous and the buttons are satisfying. I know a lot of long term GG fans aren't so keen on the game but it's really quite good for my old man brain/hands.

I'm a massive Guilty Gear fan and have bought several in the series over the years. It does feel different... But to honest I like that as I like fighting games that aren't afraid to shake up their formulae, and I've found Strive is just really satisfying to play. The Netcode is so solid as well it's just a joy. That alone can elevate it above so many other fighting games by default.

36 minutes ago, Spuck said:

Hello pals, been a while.

Only got to play the beta a bit this time round, but it's very gorgeous and the buttons are satisfying. I know a lot of long term GG fans aren't so keen on the game but it's really quite good for my old man brain/hands.

Yeah, I have my reservations about the new gatling system in the long run as it can make neutral feel a bit samey, but the game does feel really fun at the minute, you totally get used to those limitations. Also, there's still scope for absolutely wild, lengthy, girthy, inventive combos using the new slidey RCs and dash cancelling normals, etc, so hopefully some of the older heads come around in time.