rllmuk

Edge #339 | Games of the Decade

My cover is Zelda, but page 3 highlights multiple covers...

qnPTllE.jpg

Hype:

Death Stranding

Iron Man VR

Beyond a Steel Sky

Recompile

Murder By Numbers

Spin Rhythm XD

Landlord's Super

Hype Roundup: 

Play:

Luigi's Mansion 3 - 7

Disco Elysium - 9

John Wick Hex - 6

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - 7

Ghost Recon Breakpoint - 4

The Outer Worlds - 8

Indivisible - 6

Kine - 9

Afterparty - 5

The Bradwell Conspiracy - 4

Inmost - 6

Felix The Reaper - 5

Neo Cab - 7

Pilgrims - 7

Features:

Games of the Decade

The Making of Sunless Skies

Studio Profile: Flavourworks

Time Extend: Detention

The Long Game: Slay The Spire

Note: Games of the Decade isn't a "Top 10" style feature, it's just highlighting some of the greats. The games featured are...

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Broken Age

Dark Souls

Destiny

Dota 2

Fortnite

Gone Home

GTA V

Minecraft

Spelunky

TLoZ: Breath of the Wild

The Walking Dead

• Upvote 3

Outer Wilds wasn't reviewed in this issue ;) 

EDIT: there was also a bonus leaflet bundled with the magazine which looks like some Nintendo advertising fluff, if anyone cares. And a 2020 wall calendar.

E2: and you know, I ain't even mad about the Indivisible verdict. They say that it stretches too few ideas too thinly (I'd argue that it focuses on a small amount of things, does them very well, but they might not be for everyone), that combat is unintuitive (I found it fine, but I had a head start with the demo. Super stacking isn't explained, but the lengthy pause after you hit the button invites you to hit it again), exploration is limited (I'd say it has a unique view of "exploration" :P with an open environment that sometimes feels like it's progressed through in a linear fashion as you go to one place to get the ability for the other place, etc), platforming is fiddly (ehh) and the balance is broken (YMMV depending on how much time you spent improving your party in battles.) My general reaction to other negatives I've seen has been "I can see where you're coming from but that didn't bother me as much", so it could be a Marmite thing?

23 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Outer Wilds wasn't reviewed in this issue ;) 

EDIT: there was also a bonus leaflet bundled with the magazine which looks like some Nintendo advertising fluff, if anyone cares. And a 2020 wall calendar.

Is it the Gamesradar thing? If so it has £5 off at Nintendo online store.

I'll be very interested to read their write up of Broken Age. As far as I knew, not having played it, it was a fairly hokey homage to LucasArts games of yore but didn't really do anything of note, certainly not to justify it being a game of the decade, anyway. When compared with the other games, all of which have either been critically acclaimed or are very influential, or both, it stands out somewhat.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'll be very interested to read their write up of Broken Age. As far as I knew, not having played it, it was a fairly hokey homage to LucasArts games of yore but didn't really do anything of note, certainly not to justify it being a game of the decade, anyway. When compared with the other games, all of which have either been critically acclaimed or are very influential, or both, it stands out somewhat.

It was the first massive Kickstarter game, that's the only reason it'd be on there.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Ran said:

I imagine Broken Age is noteable for it's unprecedented community backing. Was pretty much the start of all this crowd funding for games on a large scale.

It has to be that. The first part of Broken Age was lovely, one of my favourite adventure games ever.

The second part...hmmmm......not so much.