rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - November 19’ : Resident Evil Zero

That’s exactly where I got to but decided to sacrifice myself taking me back a fair amount of time because I used way too much ammo before realising it wasn’t striking the scorpion in a vulnerable spot. It didn’t come across as a bit random. Was expecting something more bizarre looking to attack me than a regular looking scorpion that’s larger. 

• Upvote 1

How’s everyone getting on? 

I’ve managed to get a few more hours on it recently and finished the whole train section. Currently I’ve been exploring thy mansion which feels very much like returning to the mansion in Remake. 

Overall im loving it but I can see why people might find some aspects of it painful. The whole dropping items on the floor rather than using a box at the save spots feels very messy Andy unorganised. It’s also annoying when you’re having to spread things around in different rooms because it won’t  let you put any more items down. Also picking them up often results in picking up the wrong item if they are close by one another. Then if you want the map to register the item, you must ensure that it’s been clicked on at least once. This is something easily missed if you’re repeating a section over and over (something I do a lot) and think, “oh well I know what that item is so I’ll not bother clicking for now.” The slots are definitely harshly limiting and add to the frustration.

The dual character thing is interesting as you can have the other cpu controlled player help take down an enemy quicker, but then you’ve got to think about wasting ammo which is something I never like to leave in the hands of a bot. In fact I’ve never played a resource focused game this way. Often though it’s a help and you can always choose to leave the character alone if it’s required. It’s interesting to see moments where you are purposely split up but switching items between one another’s isn’t the speediest thing to do. 

Im playing on Normal difficulty and it’s feel like a Dark Souls game in Resident Evil format. Ive had to replay sections over and over until I’m satisfied it’s ok to move on. It’s all down to those limited resources and whether you think no I’ve used too much or I’d rather try again to see if I can get by the same few rooms with less damage. It’s so easy to get attacked by everything. Even the modernised controls don’t help and I can’t imagine having to put up with tank controls again. It’s a game about perseverance a bit like Dark Souls and the fact you have limited saves means you can’t  just save after each action taken so need to risk doing several things hoping it all goes well. It’s so annoying when you have a decent run for a while and get torn to pieces just as you decide now is a good time to save. 

I love the moving backgrounds during the train section such as the curtains and water in a kitchen or the bottles rocking back and forth. Graphically it’s so good and hold up really well.

during the scorpion bit (taking it down easy)

I found the best way to deal with this was to use the knife and repetitively attack each time it comes close in a routine. It takes 19 attacks and the 18th strike can make it swing out and hit you so its better to push it back a little and run after this hit to the back wall opposite.

So far I’m enjoying it though now that I’m further in.

• Upvote 2

Have you got to the millipede yet? I've not made any progress since my last post, which was last week. Might check how the knife works out against it.

Well the bit with the knife on the scorpion I mentioned was due to being in a tight space but it recoils back whenever you attack it so it made things much easier.

I’ve not been in the mansion itself for long so have just walked around some of the rooms. Just did that bit with the lift where you use the winch and get attacked by two giant bugs in the room with the clock. 

Played a bit more last night and did the bit Soulstar mentioned above. Took me several reloads as initially I was going a different way and kept getting killed by 

Spoiler

a floppy armed zombie in a toilet

Avoided that room eventually and killed the 

Spoiler

giant bugs

fairly easily.

The game is reeeaaally stingy with resources. Almost wish I was playing on easy now. Anyone know if you miss anything by doing so?

• Upvote 2

I think I'm gonna have to roll back to a prior save and really crack on with this this weekend, I've given myself too much to play and too little time to sink into anything again

I’m working all weekend but should have some time during the week to go back and continue on. 

About the...

Thing in the bathroom. It also appears if you walk down the corridor outside the toilet to the locked door and then attempt to return back towards the main hall. I have a vague memory of a mate telling me about this thing and I’ve just avoided it as it was pretty much impossible to deal with, almost like the whole nemesis thing. I’m expecting to see this thing more than once l can imagine

Also I think it’s getting to that point where we throw in some entries for the next month. Now someone mentioned  variation on the system but I’m wanting to keep it simple and would rather just increase the number of games available to chose from in a poll if the problem was down to the chances of your own choice appearing being low in a three choice poll. 

Based on the existing system of each choice having a shelf life of 2 consecutive tries in the poll (unless it’s re-nominated of course) here are the current ones guaranteed to be included for Dec. 

Fatal Labyrinth 

Loom

Star Wars 

Adams Family Values

Splatter house

Super Castlevania 4

Luigi’s Mansion

@Camel what was that one missing from the list I said I’d add next time? It was one of yours wasn’t it? 

So of course everyone gets to add another choice. 

I was was thinking about this yesterday and after seeing the news today about the Super Mario Land Remake on the SNES (which looks amazing btw), thought that might be a good one to throw in there. 

Been on this some more today, went back to an earlier save, avoided as much confrontation as possible and got past the bit I'd previously got stuck on. Made more progress on that having since unlocked the doors with a Fire and Clock symbols on them and I've opened the ones guarded by the suits of armour but I'm in serious need of some herbs, one hit from anything and I'm dead.

Luckily this seems to be a little more loose in giving you ink ribbons compared to my (very vague) memories of the early hours of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 on the PlayStation, unless its setting me up for a fall later (though I do have 8 of them right now).

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

So of course everyone gets to add another choice. 

Okay, this time I'll nominate Spindizzy

spin02.gif

Yes, I know Marble Madness is the more recognisable game in this genre, but Spindizzy was the one I grew up with and I only got around to MM after the fact. What's more, I think MM is structured more like a series of courses whereas Spindizzy has one huge world, so they're not completely alike. Gameplay involves players guiding their ball, pyramid or spinning top through a flickscreen world of isometric obstacles - carefully navigating over thin bridges or across ramps. There are no "lives" (or at least not in the version I know), and instead every time you fall off the level you lose a few seconds from the countdown timer. I think the goal is to essentially map out 100% of the gameworld, but there's so much variety between each room that it takes time to figure out a suitable path. It would be cool as a community game to have people swapping notes on which direction they're going and which obstacles have been stopping them lately. :) 

• Upvote 1

I’ll nominate The Ninja Warriors on the SNES, which is also available on the Switch in an enhanced port. 1p side scrolling brawler with a great cyberpunk theme and a lot of depth in the move set.

Technically, it’s The Ninja Warriors Again, a SNES only sequel to a rather rubbish arcade game which also got ports to the PC Engine and Mega CD. Developed by the same Natsume team that did Wild Guns.

That thought did actually come to mind after I’d posted my addition to the list, but then I’m not sure what I’d chose as I don’t really have a particular Christmas game I go to or want to play based on Christmas. I mean technically I’d play Shen Mue maybe but then that’s probably a long one I’m guessing? 

2 hours ago, Soulstar said:

I’d definitely be up for the Ninja Warriors game btw. I’d have to buy the physical copy I think. 

@Alexlotl

Of the remake, I hope! I think the SNES cart commands quite a price these days. 

@Alexlotl

ive literally just impulse bought some giant collectors thing for Darius for £131 on ps4. What the hell am I doing?? I watched it count down and returned to the page and the timer had gone but it was still on coming soon, so I refreshed and then the preorder button appeared. It’s sucked me right in. Never done anything like that before haha. 

I might just not buy anything gaming for about 3 months after what I didn’t last night. Still coming to terms with it. At least I don’t pay for any subscription services of passes or PSplus so that’s my justification. 

@bum you throwing in a new choice? Read above regarding the changes. Pretty much gonna expand the poll option for the moment to increase coverage of options. 

Tell you what might be useful, keeping a list of everyone who gets involved and tagging each month in case those few days get forgotten about before the poll. 

8 hours ago, Soulstar said:

@bum you throwing in a new choice? Read above regarding the changes. Pretty much gonna expand the poll option for the moment to increase coverage of options. 

Tell you what might be useful, keeping a list of everyone who gets involved and tagging each month in case those few days get forgotten about before the poll. 

I'll leave Star Wars in as my choice, but honestly I've got enough to play at the moment, so I'll likely sit out the next few months, unless Star Wars is picked, because I'll be playing that anyway, as I've picked up a few versions of it recently.

9 hours ago, bum said:

I'll leave Star Wars in as my choice, but honestly I've got enough to play at the moment, so I'll likely sit out the next few months, unless Star Wars is picked, because I'll be playing that anyway, as I've picked up a few versions of it recently.

Ok cool no worries. I’ll launch then Poll tomorrow by the way, so anyone who hasn’t added a new choice and would like to, please do. 

December might not be the best month for Luigi’s Mansion, so I’d like to nominate instead an interesting take on the roguelike for the last month of the year: Toejam & Earl, for the Mega Drive. 

• Upvote 1