rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - November 19’ : Resident Evil Zero

It’s come to that time again where we get to introduce another new game to the Retro Game Club for everyone to play, discuss and read about. This time the polls were neck and neck, a first since RGC began, however the random picker chose Resident Evil Zero over Super Castlevania IV. 

spacer.png

Ive personally never played this before having not owned a Game Cube, but picking it up these days is quite accessible on the PS4. Has this been released anywhere else? Also what’s GC emulation like these days? Someone might wish to add some info here which may be of use. 

It’s also come to the attention of some that the polls have dropped in participation over the months with the highest being around 32 votes to just 10 in total this time. @bum had suggested that changes could be made but we need you lot to help with any suggestions. @wev made the suggestion which helped form the condensed poll option currently being used. I’m personally open to anything really and any input would help for future upcoming months. As I’ve mentioned already, the current system is based around picking 3 randomly chosen games from everyone’s single nominations which end up in the list the following month before being removed. 

Hope we have an interesting fun month taking down zombies. I’ll definitely be actively playing through this one soon. 

Could the lack of input on the polls be down to the previous two games not holding everyone's interest for the full month? I know I dropped off both games early on.

2 hours ago, wev said:

Could the lack of input on the polls be down to the previous two games not holding everyone's interest for the full month? I know I dropped off both games early on.

Perhaps we should put the poll discussion in last month's thread, and let everyone discuss this month's game uninterrupted.

Edit - sorry, that sounds twattish.  It was intended as a suggestion, not a petty reprimand.

1 hour ago, bum said:

Perhaps we should put the poll discussion in last month's thread, and let everyone discuss this month's game uninterrupted.

Sorry, you're right. 

Resi 0 then, I voted for this despite not owning it and not getting on with the series, mind you Castlevania has never really clicked with me either! But it's one of those games where, iirc, the developers were trying to stick to tradition but also try some new things? 

It’s officially the next game in release order that I’ve yet to play so I’ve literally never played 4 or any RE game since. The traditional flick screen approach I’ve always been a massive fan of even if it is to the detriment of controls being a bit awkward. 

Last year I played the REmake Remaster on the PS4 for the first time and I thought it was brilliant. 

This is a game that I wanted to like more than I did. Last of the awesome pre-rendered games but it's just a bit dull. Will be interesting to hear how those new to it get on. 

Never got on with this on the GC. Absolutely rinsed the RE:make, which was my first proper Resident Evil, but this one just seemed too damned hard and stingy on the ammo in comparison.

Given as the next game in the series was RE4, I think even the devs must have got sick of running out of ammo and said “fuck it”.

Won’t be playing this month, but look forward to seeing how people get on with it.

Finding this pretty tough. Playing it on normal. I've managed to

Spoiler

stop the train and I'm now in the big mansion type building.

I'm playing it in 4:3 (I think in widescreen they've just cropped it right?) and with traditional controls, like god intended.

It's a beautiful looking game. I'll have to stick the GC version on at some point and compare. 

It's tricky alright; as someone mentioned above, ammo is super tight. Really enjoying the Head Over Heels player switching so far. The back and forth item swapping gameplay has been good so far too; no real instances yet of getting stuck and wandering backwards and forwards trying to figure out how to progress (which usually kills a game like this stone dead for me).

So far so good.

• Upvote 2

I hadn't played a resident evil in probably ten years before this week. Couple of lunch breaks and about an hour last night. Great vibe to the beginning of this but it certainly feels old in a way that only ageing 3d games do. 

Enjoying it so far though i am really really struggling with ammo. Not playing that well at all at the moment. Might start again with a bit more discipline

Is there a knack to killing zombies? Is aiming upwards just going to shoot at the ceiling? Should I be getting all stabby when they're down?

In the REmake, with the pistol I used to shoot them until they fell down, then switch to knife and get some free stabs in before they could stand up. The B(?)-and-down shortcut to do a fast 180 turn was essential for getting away before they completely stood up, if your stabbing was insufficient. It’s possible I actively aimed at their legs with the pistol to make them fall, I can’t remember.

Once you get the shotgun it’s worth aiming up and waiting until they’re close, then shooting. With a bit of luck you’ll blow their heads up. Mind you, can’t remember if RE:0 has crimson heads or not - if not, then decapitation is less of a priority. 

Had a quick blast of this on PC this afternoon, died shortly after Billy joins the party, I'm really not very good at Resident Evil :lol:

I was streaming it, though I was getting sound effects etc twice while doing so (probably something to do with StreamLabs OBS?) and it doesn't seem to have recorded my voice (a blessing imo) but if you want to see how bad I am, here's the video evidence

• Upvote 1

One thing I've noticed so far is that the game looks better when using its in-game engine than when it switches to the DMV style cutscenes

If I’m not too tired after work tonight I’ll make a start on it. Was playing The Evil Within 2 and just finished that last night so I’m ready to focus on this now. 

Played this earlier this year. I thought it was the weakest of the bunch, a little bit too generic and fiddly to figure out what you should be doing.

Still, glad i got through it after giving up on the gamecube version years ago.

Were they always this strict with your inventory? Six slots, with some items taking up two? Feel like I'm always switching items between the two or having to leave stuff in random places and then hopefully remember where I've left it in case I need it later.

I've done the train section now btw.

You can see where you've left things from the map. Open it up, click 'x' and it will show you along the bottom where everything is.

I seem to be up shit creek without a paddle

I've found a crank in the mansion that lifts a cage, under the cage is a key. Rebecca is too weak to work the crank so it's up to Billy to do that. So Rebecca gets attacked by a giant millipede, I don't have enough ammo to take it out and can't seem to find any more

I started this the other day but haven’t had chance yet to properly go back as I’ve been super busy. Hopefully tomorrow when I’m back from this army weekend I’m currently on.

Made me laugh how 

Spoiler

a massive fuck off scorpion crashed through a train roof 

and it wasn't discussed in cut scenes or anything. Like it's just a normal run of the mill event.

• Upvote 1