Apple TV +

Pug

Just to echo the praise for Ted Lasso, I binged it over a couple of days and it’s just such a lovely, warm-hearted show. Didn’t realise it was by the same bloke who created Scrubs but that would explain how they get the balance of comedy and the more emotional, moving stuff just right. Don’t let the football stuff put you off, I couldn’t give a shit about football but I just adore these characters.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks insufferable. 

But that's what I thought about the first season trailers, the show however, was the best thing released all year, and the most wholesome and wonderful thing ever. 

Ted Lasso should be massive, it's amazing, but it's such a hard sell.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the first episode was great, need to watch the second tonight. I didn't watch any trailers and was also expecting something different, maybe more comedic like Glow, but definitely wasn't disappointed.

We’ve really enjoyed the first few episodes of Physical, darker than we were expecting - Rose Byrne is awesome as always and the 80s vibe is great.

Possibly a bit of a guilty pleasure but I’ve loved Trying as well - Rafe Spall and Esther Smith as a couple on a journey to adopting children, lots of sitcom tropes but they have great chemistry and there’s a couple of Green Wing alumni in there which always gives me a smile. 

8 minutes ago, sammy said:

Possibly a bit of a guilty pleasure but I’ve loved Trying as well - Rafe Spall and Esther Smith as a couple on a journey to adopting children, lots of sitcom tropes but they have great chemistry and there’s a couple of Green Wing alumni in there which always gives me a smile. 

Yeah, I've been enjoying Trying too.  It is easy, sweet, watching and all of the characters are fine but Esther Smith is especially great as she is so immensely likeable and watchable.

One thing I do not like, and it's something that wrecked at least one Netflix series for me, is that effect of the top and bottom of the screen being out of focus. All of the time. It is a pure contrivance and I have literally no idea what it is supposed to achieve other than to really, really wind me up. It annoys me so much I need someone to ask the director to try and justify it as he will not be able to.

We got in on a ‘free’ 12mth sub this weekend thanks to new phone purchase.

Started Servant and The Morning Show - now binge watching both!  Really good stuff so far and the 4K DV video quality is really nice too.

5 hours ago, Triple A said:

Started Servant and The Morning Show - now binge watching both!  Really good stuff so far and the 4K DV video quality is really nice too.

Be sure to get on For All Mankind after those if you have any interest in sci-fi. 😃

I've got the Apple tv app on an xbox series X hooked up to my non HDR 4k Sony tv - its giving me a weird picture quality with a sort of sun bloom appearing on lots of shows and shots - I suspect it's some picture setting I can't alter, the xbox knows its not connected to an HDR tv in its settings and not sure if I can fix it.

The thing that bothered me with Servant is that in Dolby Vision it is clearly lit far too dark. I understand it's a dark show by design, but scenes in daylight or things like bright lamps that normally pop in HDR, all appear very muted and the show just doesn't seem to do anything with the wider lighting spectrum of DV. The fact that the "An Apple original" text at the start appears far darker than in any other show is also telling. I hoped this would be fixed with the 2nd season, but it's not.

Thinking about the eye-searing "Apple Original" text, when watching late at night the "Skip Intro" button is stupidly bright as well and almost hurts my eyes.  Surely they can do something so that stuff isn't shown at full on max brightness.

6 hours ago, Triple A said:

32 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Be sure to get on For All Mankind after those if you have any interest in sci-fi. 😃

And to add to your list:

Ted Lasso (must watch)

Mythic Quest (stick with it after a few duff early episodes)

Tehran (not seen it but next on my list after hearing good things here)

9 hours ago, Triple A said:

Wolfwalkers.

7 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

The thing that bothered me with Servant is that in Dolby Vision it is clearly lit far too dark. I understand it's a dark show by design, but scenes in daylight or things like bright lamps that normally pop in HDR, all appear very muted and the show just doesn't seem to do anything with the wider lighting spectrum of DV. The fact that the "An Apple original" text at the start appears far darker than in any other show is also telling. I hoped this would be fixed with the 2nd season, but it's not.

This seems to be a thing across a lot of Apple TV and Disney+ and is clearly a stylistic choice. I thought it might have been my DV incompatible LCD TV but I recently upgraded to an OLED and it's the same. There are things that are literally impossible to watch in the daytime. Loki may as well be a radio play, I can't see shit unless the room is pitch black.  

On 28/06/2021 at 19:17, Mike S said:

One thing I do not like, and it's something that wrecked at least one Netflix series for me, is that effect of the top and bottom of the screen being out of focus.

Yeah I hate this too, I'm sure it's some auto focus lens thing which means cheaper cinematography (who needs a director of photography right) as you can use the same lens and camera for any shot whatever the range, it is terrible. Homecoming on Netflix was particularly bad for it, in fact it seemed to be most popular around that time, between 2017 and 2019. It seems to have become lesser used now.