Apple TV +

5 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Monsters who like autoplaying the next episode don't deserve streaming TV services. Watch the bloody credits - people made the stuff you're watching.

Good for them, but me watching a stream of names of people I don't know adds nothing. People make most stuff without even getting any credit. Where's the credits of all the people who made that box of Weetabix? And do you remember the names of all the people credited in making episode 3 of Ted Lasso?

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Good for them, but me watching a stream of names of people I don't know adds nothing. People make most stuff without even getting any credit. Where's the credits of all the people who made that box of Weetabix? And do you remember the names of all the people credited in making episode 3 of Ted Lasso?

Spot on. Outside of wanting to see who wrote the score or something, I see no purpose in watching a list of names that will mean nothing to me. Just started Wandavision last night, 7 bloody minutes of credits! Screw that.

Credits are a weird one. You don't know who these people are and there's no way to contact them to say you really enjoyed thier work. Yet, it seems very important to them that their work is acknowledged. 

Sure it might be nice to know who directed it or who starred in it but who wants/needs to know the wardrobe assistant name. 

When you hire a lawyer to do your conveyancing you don't also get an email at the end of the process mentioning that Roger the receptionist did some photocopying and Carol from IT helped her migrate to Office 365.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Monsters who like autoplaying the next episode don't deserve streaming TV services. Watch the bloody credits - people made the stuff you're watching.

I don’t particularly mind the auto play is after the credits just offer a link to skip. But my Apple TV app doesn’t even offer how to get to the next episode. I have to back out and browse to it.

45 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Strangely, the end credits is probably the best bit of Lego Movie 2.

I always think of credits as two parts. The sometimes interesting visual piece followed by the boring black scroll. Often the former isn’t much better than the latter but I’m willing to give it a chance.

On 23/02/2021 at 17:01, Quest said:

Yeah, I'm also on the free year and surprised by how meagre the selection is. I've watched two things and already struggling to find anything I'm interested in.  

No way am I continuing to pay for this after the trial.

I don’t really understand why it exists. There’s very little content on the service; I personally hadn’t heard of any of the original shows or films beforehand, so none of it seems to have entered public consciousness to a point where it’s unavoidable. Also there’s no catalogue material apart from some old Snoopy specials (is Tim Apple secretly a Snoopy mega-fan?). I’m not even sure who is watching the content apart from those of us who’ve had freebie subscriptions, yet what I’ve seen certainly didn’t seem cheaply made. Apple must be losing loads of money on this.

Part of the issue is the one I faced the other day... no app for the major devices (and even worse it turns out there was but I didn’t know about it and assumed Apple wouldn’t have an android one).

I think it launched thinking it was 2015 when people were prepared to watch a streaming service like iPlayer on their laptop. Meanwhile I now expect at least one of my devices to have an app if I’m going to try it out (be that the TV, Fire stick Chromecast, console, etc ). If not your service is never going to enter my standard daily use regardless of your content quality.

On the content side I suspect the pandemic hit them hard. They just launched with a slate of big shows. Now you need to keep going. But how do you get on to making series 2 when no one is allowed to.

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Apple TV has an app on my LG, surely it’s on all smart tellies?

Not on my Samsung, I use the PS5 app instead.

To be clear I meant a year ago. Lacking a Fire stick or Roku app, maybe the consoles and the major TV brands for new devices at least is just saying you’re not serious. I (and I think many others) aren’t going to pay for a service I cannot watch with ease on my TV, regardless of what content it does (or doesn’t) have.

Its clearly better now but I suspect some of the damage is done. If I didn’t have a free year from my new iPad I would have not given it a second look.

4 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Its clearly better now but I suspect some of the damage is done. If I didn’t have a free year from my new iPad I would have not given it a second look.

Similar. Wouldn’t have ever looked at this without getting a freebie year sub with my iPhone, and even then I only started watching because I bought a recently Roku device to play Disney+ which happened to also work with Apple TV+.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone watched the second season of the Servant, what are your thought if anyone has?

Adored the first season but wanted to wait for the whole second season to be out and see what peoples opinions were if it stays as high quality, before starting.

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Has anyone watched the second season of the Servant, what are your thought if anyone has?

Adored the first season but wanted to wait for the whole second season to be out and see what peoples opinions were if it stays as high quality, before starting.

Unfortunately it’s really fallen off a cliff, and I loved the first season.  Any scene with Toby Kebbell and Rupert Grant together is still great though. I’ll stick it out till the end in the hope it gets better though.

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

I bailed after 2 or 3 episodes and I loved the first season. It felt like they were making it up as they went along. 

I only kept watching for the wtf comedy factor. It’s hilarious how noticeable the writing struggles to keep everything happening inside the house. There are characters showing up at the door spontaneously and acting completely illogical constantly to give the bogus plot a push or a twist when needed. The goofy campiness was compelling enough to keep watching, but the contrast with the first season couldn’t be bigger. Still a well produced show and I’ll probably watch the third season. 

I watched the first episode of a new show, Calls, earlier on. It's a weird effort. There's no actors on screen just their voices and the words they're saying on screen over the top of some WinAmp visuals. It was only about 10 minutes long but it was pretty compelling and I will watch more.

I do like how Apple keep funding these totally left field projects.

Spoiler

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Silent Runner
18 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched the first episode of a new show, Calls, earlier on. It's a weird effort. There's no actors on screen just their voices and the words they're saying on screen over the top of some WinAmp visuals. It was only about 10 minutes long but it was pretty compelling and I will watch more.

I do like how Apple keep funding these totally left field projects.

Hide contents

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

We’re two episodes down and about to watch the third. Quite the concept bringing audio dramas to television sans visuals. I’m really liking it so far - it’s got a very Twilight Zone feel to it.

I'd have to agree about the second season of Servant. Not a patch on the first one. It seems to be played more for laughs this season than the first one. Grint and Ambrose chew up the scenery whilst Kebbell is amusingly exasperated by it all. I'd say those three are keeping me watching. Nell Tiger Free seems to think she's in a different show.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

I'd have to agree about the second season of Servant. Not a patch on the first one. It seems to be played more for laughs this season than the first one. Grint and Ambrose chew up the scenery whilst Kebbell is amusingly exasperated by it all. I'd say those three are keeping me watching. Nell Tiger Free seems to think she's in a different show.

Yeah, the focus on comedy this season is annoying. Though I did laugh in the episode where they had to start a fake pizza company, and Kebell’s character just couldn’t bring himself to rush making a pizza.

Speaking of fake pizza company, Apple are doing a promo with two LA pizza places for free Cheezus Crust pizzas. The toppings include duck sausage, confit leeks, shimeiji mushroom, nameko mushrooms, mozzarella, and thyme.

Finally started watching Ted Lasso this weekend. We’d avoided it since neither myself or the gf are remotely into football... ... but it’s fucking great, isn’t it? Just a really wonderful little show!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Servant after seeing it recommended by Stephen King. I think I'd agree with everyone here that the second season isn't as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it. (If you look at imdb, every episode pretty much gets 0.1 rating lower than the one before, throughout the whole run) I just wish it had gotten a bit weirder. That said, the ending definitely suggests it could happen in Season 3, which has been confirmed. I'm definitely along for the ride.

I liked how the supernatural stuff is kept to a minimum.

It's funny Stephen King recommended it, because most of his books start strongly and fade as they go.

On 22/03/2021 at 00:07, Zio said:

Finally started watching Ted Lasso this weekend. We’d avoided it since neither myself or the gf are remotely into football... ... but it’s fucking great, isn’t it? Just a really wonderful little show!

It’s fantastic, I just love how positive it is, funny and just really quite touching. When is season 2?