Apple TV +

There's Slow Horses and Foundation coming up in the next year. They might be worth a watch.

I thought The Banker and Greyhound were decent enough films, though the latter was incredibly slight to the extent that it felt it had whole scenes and character development cut. The Beasties doc was decent too. And I suppose if you're into Springsteen then his doc that came out this week will appeal (haven't watched it myself). TV-wise the appallingly-named Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet ends up being very good after an unappetising start (the standalone ep halfway through and the add-on at the end completely make the series and lift it from mediocre/ok to, well, actually really great TV at times). The Morning Show was also pretty decent; not really my kind of thing but I enjoyed it well enough, and the gf loved it - though she also really liked Ted Lasso and I'm afraid I found that whole series sickeningly saccharine. It was a bad news day when I discovered they'd commissioned a second series. And if you like watching Ewan McGregor tool about South America on an electric bike then you'll currently be in heaven.

Have to admit, everything else I've had a nibble at didn't appeal at all, but obv that's down to personal taste. E.g. Home - I watched the first ep but all I felt was a growing compulsion to murder the arrogant self-absorbed arsewipe who built and lived in the house. I watched Servant up to the first (obviously predictable) reveal, and by that point I'd almost lost the will to live, ironically. I've actually been surprised at the amount of content they've funded so far - it's just a shame that most of it either puts me to sleep or makes me want to throw up or decapitate someone. But that's me and TV in general, I fear. I should stay well away in future.

Pity they've extended my free sub until Feb really, and then when Foundation is announced for a March release I'll probably end up paying. Second series of Ted Lasso, here I come. Make me smile with your heartwarming homespun Yankee wisdom and gentle japes, Ted! And bake me some of tham thar delicious cookies nomnomnom!

*chops head off*

4 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

There's Slow Horses and Foundation coming up in the next year. They might be worth a watch.

I thought The Banker and Greyhound were decent enough films, though the latter was incredibly slight to the extent that it felt it had whole scenes and character development cut. The Beasties doc was decent too. And I suppose if you're into Springsteen then his doc that came out this week will appeal (haven't watched it myself). TV-wise the appallingly-named Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet ends up being very good after an unappetising start (the standalone ep halfway through and the add-on at the end completely make the series and lift it from mediocre/ok to, well, actually really great TV at times). The Morning Show was also pretty decent; not really my kind of thing but I enjoyed it well enough, and the gf loved it - though she also really liked Ted Lasso and I'm afraid I found that whole series sickeningly saccharine. It was a bad news day when I discovered they'd commissioned a second series. And if you like watching Ewan McGregor tool about South America on an electric bike then you'll currently be in heaven.

Have to admit, everything else I've had a nibble at didn't appeal at all, but obv that's down to personal taste. E.g. Home - I watched the first ep but all I felt was a growing compulsion to murder the arrogant self-absorbed arsewipe who built and lived in the house. I watched Servant up to the first (obviously predictable) reveal, and by that point I'd almost lost the will to live, ironically. I've actually been surprised at the amount of content they've funded so far - it's just a shame that most of it either puts me to sleep or makes me want to throw up or decapitate someone. But that's me and TV in general, I fear. I should stay well away in future.

Pity they've extended my free sub until Feb really, and then when Foundation is announced for a March release I'll probably end up paying. Second series of Ted Lasso, here I come. Make me smile with your heartwarming homespun Yankee wisdom and gentle japes, Ted! And bake me some of tham thar delicious cookies nomnomnom!

*chops head off*

Edit: I was confused. Too many goddam streaming services.

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Too many goddam streaming services.

Now this, this is most certainly true - and you still can't get The Killing series 3 on any of them. The rampant free market in action.

Apple TV has been my favourite streaming service this year (for new content). Thoroughly enjoyed

The Servant 

The Morning Show

Beasties doc

Ted Lasso (this one really took me by surprise, as I usually like my comedy cynical. Just fell n love with the characters)
Long Way Up

pleasantly surprised all in all as all the initial trailers I saw left me cold. Yes, they need to build up more content, but it’s a very promising start. I’ve kept my subscription going on this a lot longer than I did for Disney Plus.

Really looking to On The Rocks as well.

Just watched On the Rocks. It was fine, very light, somewhat predictable but good performances and an effortlessly charming Murray.

I'm also quite into Tehran, just two episodes down. So far it's managed to keep the tension and twists coming thick and fast, and I like that there's no clear-cut 'bad guys', just people in a horrible situation trying to do the jobs they've been given.

I’m enjoying Apple TV+. I was ready to pay up for another year until I got the email to say free trial extended until February. 

The new Springsteen and E Street Band documentary is just wonderful. 

19 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Mythic Quest complete, very funny and loved the last quarantine episode.
Is the Tom Hanks film worth watching?

I liked it.

Its short but quite intense. After a very short scene at the start set in a hotel, and a relatively quiet 5 minutes when we first join Tom on the ship, it's straight into the action and remains intense for the rest of the runtime. But I'm a sucker for WW2 naval films, after seemingly watching one every weekend growing up as the 40/50s movies always seemed to be on on a Sunday afternoon.

Fun game: Take a shot everytime they say "hard right rudder" and cause irreparable harm to your liver.

• 2 weeks later...

Xbox app is now live. Nice and easy to log on with your phone, I’m impressed. 

Definitely going to watch the new Sophia Coppola film, and then maybe try Mythic Quest and Ted Lasso. 

I also heard about Wolfwalkers, yesterday - by the same people who did Song of the Sea, coming 11th Dec. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Im watching Ted Lasso. 

This is supposed to be good? It's annoying as fuck so far. 

Ted is awesome though. 

I wasn’t convinced by episode 1, but it’s soooo good. Stick with it

32 minutes ago, sammy said:

Echoing the Ted Lasso love, really sweet-natured show that avoids being syrupy, possibly due to the sheer amount of swearing in it!

We watched the one with the Everton match last night. Just perfect from beginning to end

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

The app is now available on PS4 and 5. Various Xboxen too.

I've searched in the PSN app and the web store and can't find it for PS4 to download.

Every time I try to do anything on or with the PS4 I end up despising the bloody thing.

13 hours ago, sammy said:

Echoing the Ted Lasso love, really sweet-natured show that avoids being syrupy, possibly due to the sheer amount of swearing in it!

It reminds me a lot of the wonderful Toby Jones film Marvellous, and not just because of the football content. They both just have such a nice spirit to them, without being sickly. I’m trying to pace myself to an episode a night, but I know it won’t last long. 

On 13/11/2020 at 14:36, Gotters said:

I've searched in the PSN app and the web store and can't find it for PS4 to download.

Every time I try to do anything on or with the PS4 I end up despising the bloody thing.

I could not find it on the mobile app but on the console when you go to the store the app is featured.