IGNORED

Apple TV +

Pug

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party but really enjoying We Crashed, 6 eps in out of 8.

I like the angle they've taken to focus on Neumann & his wife Rebecca not making it a more documentary style show looking at the ins/outs of the business. As with all these types of things intend to do a bit of reading afterwards to see how many liberties they've taken with the truth.

Of the 3 similar things launched at the same (We Crashed, Inventing Anna & the Dropout) this is my favourite ahead of the Dropout. I think it all hangs on Jared Leto and Anne Hathaway, he's incredibly convincing as the almost messianic Neumann

16 minutes ago, Benny said:

I got this for Severance so I have a sub for the duration - is For All Mankind worth a go?

It didn't stick for me at all.  It felt like something a screenwriting class teacher would use as their shining example of perfect screenwriting. Everything - every bit of drama - followed the 'rules' of screenwriting to the letter, so while it all functionally worked as drama, everything felt 100% familiar or predictable. Every character was a type.  Every issue was addressed.  Every dramatic beat felt mathematically calculated.  It had no personality or feel of personal authorship.

I only managed 6 episodes.

I'm the opposite. I really enjoyed For All Mankind. Bit slow going at the start but soon picks up. Then goes a bit mental in the final season (in a good way). Theres lots of praise in the dedicated thread.

23 minutes ago, Benny said:

I got this for Severance so I have a sub for the duration - is For All Mankind worth a go?

Whilst you have the sub I#d recommend the first season of Ted Lasso and, even better, both seasons of Trying for some warmly sweet comedy.

The After Party is great, Slow Horses is fine, first season of The Morning Show was good, and CODA is essential. 

I wanted to like The Essex Serpent as the book was great but Clare Danes ridiculously over acting, constantly gurning, facial expressions has killed it for me. 

The new dinosaur thing is like one of the BBC dino specials but with much, much better CGI and seems fine based on the couple of episodes I have watched so far. 

I also really loved For All Mankind though I did enjoy the more "space" elements of it over some of the personal drama stuff.

Watched all of it in just a few days as my sub to ATV+ was about to run out.  At some point i'll re-sub for a month so that I can watch the new series and a couple of others too

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

If you're feeling sci-fi I could cautiously recommend Foundation, which found a mixed reaction here. I really enjoyed it.

Way ahead of you on that one. Loved it.

I’ve always liked the concept of For All Mankind more than the actual execution, but there’s nothing else out there with the same underlying concept or level of informed research behind it, so I think it’s worth seeing if the whole idea of it interests you.

I struggled with For All Mankind. Interesting setup, and it’s Ronald D Moore, but the characters are really boring and difficult to spend time with. I expected it to be filled with exciting plot developments, but it’s quite kitchen sink. 

Conversely, I think For All Mankind is absolutely brilliant and can't wait for the new season.

However, as I've said about 100 times before in this thread, Defending Jacob is the best thing on Apple TV+.

58 minutes ago, sonixtorm said:

Really enjoyed The Big Conn. Probably won’t be everybody’s cup of tea, but the storytelling was a cut above the usual expose style series.

Yup, agree totally, definitely worth watching

The TV+ app on my roku never saves my progress within an episode, so I have to remember where I got to and fast forward next time. Annoying.

Bug or feature?

The Shrink Next Door was excellent I thought. The 2 leads were brilliant giving unexpected performances that went against their typical roles.

On 01/06/2022 at 01:04, ckny said:

Same on my LG TV. Super annoying.

I'll stop yelling at my Roku stick then, could have sworn it was OK back while watching Ted Lasso.