Apple TV +

Launches today at £4.99 or month with a week's free trial or free for 12 months if you have bought a qualifying device.

Also free with Student Discount Apple Music subs.

Looking forward to watching the shows Free and For All Mankind.

2 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

There's too many streaming services these days. (Old man shouts at cloud.jpg)

But the one show that interests me is 'The Morning Show'. Reviews of that make it sound like the spiritual successor to The Larry Sanders Show. 

It's apparently more of a drama than anything.

That Jason Mamoa show ‘See’ is getting an absolute kicking:

"The execution, particularly in scripts by Steven Knight (of January’s box-office bomb Serenity), is an unmitigated disaster. ... Not to put too fine a point on it, See is one of the worst TV series I’ve seen in years."

The first episode of See has a bit of everything. Some fascinating fight scenes (everyone is blind after all), dialogue that is both incoherent and nonsensical, scenes that are unintentionally funny, a scene that involves ‘praying’ that you’ll not forget in a hurry and ultimately quite an interesting premise / world. It’s all a bit clunky but I’ll watch more. Pretty damn good advert for Dolby Vision as well. I’m watching on a LG OLED via an Apple TV 4K and on a technical level it’s very nice to look at. 

Obviously See is from the bloke behind Peaky Blinders but you wouldn’t make any sort of connection between the two. Well and truly completely different. 

I had previously read Apple would be aiming for everything being more family orientated but this show suggests not.

23 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

There's too many streaming services these days. (Old man shouts at cloud.jpg)

But the one show that interests me is 'The Morning Show'. Reviews of that make it sound like the spiritual successor to The Larry Sanders Show. 

I thought it was going to be a 30 min comedy, but it is a drama - and so far not a particularly good one. Despite the huge budget it feels very amateur. I also expected Apple originals to be quite clean given their corporate image, but this has a lot of swearing, in an almost try hard way. Going to finish the first episode but there’s not much so far.

The only good thing I can say about AppleTV+ so far is that it looks better than Netflix when connected from my iPad to TV in this hotel room.

• Upvote 1

They have a “previously on” at the start of the second episode with no skip expect the normal 15 second jumps. I thought that was odd but now I’ve seen They are also releasing them weekly after the first three. So they aren’t really copying the usual Netflix consumption model (for true Netflix originals rather than other region imports)

I guess they don’t really have enough content to drop whole series yet. Netflix can do it because there’s something new constantly (whether the content is good or bad or whether this approach is good or bad is variable). But dripping the episodes weekly p, so long as these shows are good enough (and I don’t mean they need to be amazing) keeps the service in people’s minds for longer.

It’s probably the worst thing I’ve seen apple launch. 
less than 40 hours of entertainment and the core shows don’t even have full seasons. It’s going to be weekly episodes. 

‘Someone called it CBS Lite. I call it CBS Shite. 

I have absolutely no interest in Apple TV+ in its current form, but this is clearly a ‘soft launch’. They’re giving everyone who’s bought an Apple product a free year-long sub, and they’re giving it free to students. They’ve effectively bought time to build a content library and to get the app onto TVs etc.

Ultimately, it does come down to the quality of the content. If it turns out to be the International and digital-only equivalent to HBO for a fiver a month, I can see myself subbing eventually.

• Upvote 1

I've watched three episodes of The Morning Show, and after its initial sluggish start I'm really enjoying it. Far better than the reviews made out. Sure it's no Broadcast News, The Newsroom level, but still well worth watching, especially for Billy Crudup supporting role.

One part which was a tad weird, in a scene on a screen playing behind the characters, I got distracted cause I was trying to work out who it was being shown / interviewed on a set.

Then realised it was showing the UK This Morning show, and it was the doctor Chris Steele being interviewed by Schofield and Willoughby. Tad strange and had to restart the scene as I hadn't been listening. Screenshots of the scene:

Spoiler

WrIosg3.png

HFh6P03.png

• Upvote 1
On 09/11/2019 at 14:31, Harsin said:

Out of interest is anyone here, who didn’t get free year of it with a device, actually subscribing?

I might, if For All Mankind is good and I can't fit it into a week.  

Also when Foundation comes on, if Goyer doesn't ruin it.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first two and it's definitely interesting. 

Toby Kebbell and Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) are a married couple who have experienced a terrible tragedy - their baby has died. In the first episode they hire a nanny to help look after their 'child' - a lifelike babydoll that's being used as grief therapy technique by Lauren Ambrose. The idea is that they treat the doll like it's alive and eventually they will come to accept the death of their child. 

(Spoilers for the end of episode 1 ahead but I think it's been flagged up in pre-air publicity) 

Spoiler

The new nanny is quite religious and starts hanging Blair-Witch type crosses about the house. But she's doing a good job with the babydoll and the couple get on well with her. Then at the end of ep. 1 Kebbell hears a child crying and looks into the cot of his dead child and finds a live baby there. 

I thought the first two episodes were pretty great. The setup is not exactly original but it's handled well and played dead straight. It looks fantastic and you can tell you're in M Night territory with the way it's shot and the way the camera moves. The acting is excellent and it's nicely spooky. Recommended for sure, I'll be following up as it's released. 

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I saw that on there. I thought all their shows were gonna be family friendly?

I've been thinking about watching the Sesame Street one with my son, but not being able to watch it on the TV without buying an Apple TV is a pain.

Could you not use ipad / iphone?

Or the roku and amazon smart sticks can download the apple tv app and various smart tv's can download the app to, samsung, LG, sony etc

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

So is this any good? I've just realised I have it with my apple tv student, so is there anything on there worth watching?

The Servant is proper good. A spooky, tragic mystery that reminds me of how good M Night can be. I'll be watching it to the end. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Luseth said:

Could you not use ipad / iphone?

Or the roku and amazon smart sticks can download the apple tv app and various smart tv's can download the app to, samsung, LG, sony etc

Yeah, we’re using the laptop for the time being. It doesn’t seem like a service worth buying another device for when my TV already has excellent built in apps. Hopefully they’ll bring an app to consoles. 

On 05/12/2019 at 08:50, Luseth said:

So is this any good? I've just realised I have it with my apple tv student, so is there anything on there worth watching?

For All Mankind is excellent. A very plausible alternative history. 
We’ve also tried a couple of episodes of See which is ok but not amazing. 

I think the show with Jennifer Anniston is doing well. 

• Upvote 1