rllmuk
Jei

Freeview Channels lost after recent retune? Read this....

Hopefully this will be of some use as I was completely unaware until investigating earlier today. As part of a national roadmap over the next year, Freeview are having to change their transmitted frequencies to allow future progression of mobile phone networks.

As a result there are scheduled 'retune' events one of which occurred in the Granada Region earlier this week. At first, everything appeared fine until the mother popped over and noticed we no longer had a couple of channels that we wouldn't have noticed. On all other tuning frequencies our TVs reporting 98-100% signal quality and strength as we're not too far from Winter Hill so this isn't to do with strength but compatibility of existing aerials and the frequencies they're moving them to. 

After investigating and various testing it turns out that the frequencies on local mux channels is what's being changed first and if you lose signal on these then you can get a free aerial upgrade. This has to be reported within 3 months of the original retune event otherwise you're on your own. 

Retune Changes

https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges

0808 100 0288

Much more geeky information for those of us interested http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/94251/Digital_UK_700MHz_Clearance_information_pack_for_channel_providers_Q4_2019.pdf

Who to call

0808 100 0288 (Freephone)
Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges#UEPqtYQubmbCUFAK.99

Hopefully of some use to someone!

• Upvote 7

Given that 98% of Freeview channels are complete and utter shite, broadcast in unwatchable, low bit rate, compressed up the gazoo SD quality on modern large TV's, I can't say its much of a loss,TBH.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Jei said:

As a result there are scheduled 'retune' events one of which occurred in the Granada Region earlier this week. At first, everything appeared fine until the mother popped over and noticed we no longer had a couple of channels that we wouldn't have noticed. 

We're on Winter Hill too. What channels were missing once you'd retuned?

Channel 7 (This Manchester) is the main local mux channel that they ask you to check.

The mother noticed because Channel 50 was no longer present (Sony Christmas Channel which has also been moved onto the local). I decided not to judge seeing as it's resulting in a free aerial upgrade :D 

If you pop your details on this page and click detailed view it will show you all the tuning frequencies used. For us, all the local mux ones I was unable to receive a signal on since the retune

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/

2 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I just want to be able to to get BBC4in HD!

This! I actually use the iPlayer Watch Live feature with the app on my TV so that I can watch Spiral in decent quality, so that's the other option.

• Upvote 1

Channel 7 has never worked for us even though it always showed in the planner. Just checked it again and it's broken, more of a static riddled slidehsow with occasional noises.

Channel 50 shows in the planner but says no signal. Not sure if it ever worked.

@cubik One of our sets was picking up 'this is liverpool' after the retune and behaved similar to yours. I'd call them up and explain the situation. It should work and if it didn't before, well, free upgrade time :)

2 hours ago, Minion said:

This! I actually use the iPlayer Watch Live feature with the app on my TV so that I can watch Spiral in decent quality, so that's the other option.

I looked into this a while back (learning far more about transmissions and antennas and aerials than I ever thought I would) and it's a common problem. The only solution seems to be a manual tune which I've been a bit too lazy to do.