Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

I’m on chapter 7 or 8 now and I only just realised that my bonds with my party members are locked until I go back to the bar to have conversations with them. I’m not even level 2 with them yet, am I way behind where I should be at this stage in the game? What’s the best way to raise bonds quickly?

There are loads of ways to raise your bond with people: fighting with them, eating with them, taking them to the cinema, taking them to the hostess bars... it'll all come naturally, I wouldn't bother grinding that specifically.

I'm on chapter 10 and realised I'm still missing a few mini-games, as in I haven't found them yet. Still need to track down darts, batting, and a couple of the card games (poker and blackjack I think). I thought I'd explored the whole city by now but I must have missed some bits. Unless they're not in Yokohama at all.

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

There are loads of ways to raise your bond with people: fighting with them, eating with them, taking them to the cinema, taking them to the hostess bars... it'll all come naturally, I wouldn't bother grinding that specifically.

I'm on chapter 10 and realised I'm still missing a few mini-games, as in I haven't found them yet. Still need to track down darts, batting, and a couple of the card games (poker and blackjack I think). I thought I'd explored the whole city by now but I must have missed some bits. Unless they're not in Yokohama at all.

Without giving much of a spoiler, check out all the controller icons on the map

Ah, I did the shareholder meeting :D I took the advice posted earlier but still wasn't winning, but then I realised I had to wait for my command bar to fill up, and that's why I couldn't attack.

"Finished". Absolutely loved every minute of it. Will invariably go back to finish all the sub stories and side activities. I haven't even touched the slot machines as I still can't get them to work on the PC version.

9 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

"Finished". Absolutely loved every minute of it. Will invariably go back to finish all the sub stories and side activities. I haven't even touched the slot machines as I still can't get them to work on the PC version.

The slot machines are incredibly confusing, way more in depth than any I've ever seen, haha. 

18 hours ago, deerokus said:

Nick Ogata needs to be a series regular from now on. He's barely in this but leaves a real impression. :lol:

Even the dialogue of the person addressing him is amazing.

'Nick Ogata, ya cravat-wearin' fuckwad!'

I'm at chapter 11 now and it's all gone a bit MGS2 :unsure: this is the first time in my whole playthrough that I'm not really enjoying it. It feels like it's tying itself up in knots trying to explain things. 

Anyway, on a more positive note it's without a doubt the funniest game I've ever played, it's just ridiculous :lol:

I was playing in-game darts yesterday, and they'd clearly been watching real darts for reference. Ichi's behaviour and mannerisms when he wins are spot on, you can almost imagine him as an overweight bloke with a pint in his hand.

It's that kind of meticulous detail that I love about the game. Even the enemies - stuff like the otaku with his countless anime badges on his backpack :lol:

16 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I'm at chapter 11 now and it's all gone a bit MGS2 :unsure: this is the first time in my whole playthrough that I'm not really enjoying it. It feels like it's tying itself up in knots trying to explain things. 

There's a slump in nearly all the Yakuza games at around the 3/4 mark where things come to a screeching halt as someone sits you down and starts spitting reams of exposition trying to implausibly connect all the strands of the daft as a brush plot. The part in Yakuza 3 where a politician talks at you for what feels like 12 hours was painful. Luckily once those bits are over it's normally back to the fun.

This keeps dragging me back in. Just got to chapter 5. I was playing Demon Souls (which is incredible), but I think that's too relentless for lockdown. This is really easy (so far), and simple and heartfelt, and that's kinda what I need.

I've been playing for 80 hours and I've just seen something for the first time. I was fighting near the river by the homeless camp. Adachi clobbered someone with his hammer and they fell backwards over the railings. I thought it would treat it as a glitch and they'd warp back into battle (as they often do when they go out of bounds), but I heard a splash and they were defeated.

I was disappointed I didn't get an achievement for it, mind. You get one for knocking enemies in front of cars.

11 hours ago, Thwomp said:

The difficulty suddenly becomes brutal :( I completed the battle arena and was thinking I was nails until I got wiped out at Omi HQ.

I made that mistake too. Make sure your crew is level 50 and you'll be fine.

13 hours ago, Thwomp said:

The difficulty suddenly becomes brutal :( I completed the battle arena and was thinking I was nails until I got wiped out at Omi HQ.

My party was all just about level 50 but I was still struggling a bit there. A mate pointed out you have to home in on the two bosses weaknesses. Once I did that, I beat them first time

Well I've finally hit the point of no return in the final chapter. Concentrating on doing some side stuff first though.

So far I've:

Done all the vocation tests.

Completed all the films in the theatre.

Nabbed a number of other trophies on the side.

Currently working on:

The go kart side story.

Maxing out my personality so I can get the two girls trophy.

What I may abandon till reloading a save after completion:

The management stuff.

Cans.

On 16/01/2021 at 00:47, Thwomp said:

This post has taken the wind out my sails a bit.. Unlocked the Arena last night, got to floor 12 without any issues so figured I was good to take on Omi HQ this evening. Seeing as Im only lvl 30'ish I may need to rethink my plans! :unsure:

As others have said though the game is such a joy to play and I'm absolutely loving all of the new characters. Totally addicted. 

10 hours ago, U-1 said:

This post has taken the wind out my sails a bit.. Unlocked the Arena last night, got to floor 12 without any issues so figured I was good to take on Omi HQ this evening. Seeing as Im only lvl 30'ish I may need to rethink my plans! :unsure:

As others have said though the game is such a joy to play and I'm absolutely loving all of the new characters. Totally addicted. 

The arena is basically compulsory to complete to be leveled enough to proceed, the dialogue sort of implies you don't need to, but you're setting yourself up for a lot of pain if you don't. If you beat the last fight you get an item which makes the boss fight quite a bit easier (and you should definitely equip it Kasuga). It won't take long, you don't need to worry about the bonus rewards.

Sounds like you might also need to go back to the Yokohama dungeon to get some levels as well, once you've done that. Go for the invested vagabonds to do that quickly.

I was about level 47 and had no difficulty whatsoever with the boss fight you're coming up to. There's a much later one I had some trouble with until I changed my party setup/job selection a bit to optimise my attacks on said boss' weakness. 

I think it's time to do the post game this week. 

12 hours ago, U-1 said:

Yeah, does make me wonder if they cut any content between the sections. Because I remember having no issues being around level 30s during the previous section but as soon as chapter 12 happens you're expecting to be around 50. It's weird.

Hmmm, I did the Sotenbori battle arena and got through that particular fight without a huge amount of struggle.

Not too much further on though and I've hit a huge brick wall against a (rather familiar) boss who is level 57 and able to one-shot anyone in my team. My characters are only around level 50 so have I got no choice but to go back to the arena and grind some more? I haven't unlocked anything new really since the last time I went through it, and this seems like a huge leap in required levels since the last big fight not so long ago.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Yeah, does make me wonder if they cut any content between the sections. Because I remember having no issues being around level 30s during the previous section but as soon as chapter 12 happens you're expecting to be around 50. It's weird.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Your overall level and job level are effectively cumulative. So you need to be at a cumulative level of at least 60.

Also, do the side stories to obtain as many Pound Mates as possible, and in that particular fight have Ichiban summon one each turn. They're great for clearing out a load of low level goons, buffing up your stats and lowering the stats of your enemies (the crayfish is great on bosses - it'll poison them so they lose health on each turn for seemingly the whole fight once summoned). 

Also - be sure to attempt to dodge all physical attacks.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

The arena is basically compulsory to complete to be leveled enough to proceed, the dialogue sort of implies you don't need to, but you're setting yourself up for a lot of pain if you don't. If you beat the last fight you get an item which makes the boss fight quite a bit easier (and you should definitely equip it Kasuga). It won't take long, you don't need to worry about the bonus rewards.

Sounds like you might also need to go back to the Yokohama dungeon to get some levels as well, once you've done that. Go for the invested vagabonds to do that quickly.

I was about level 47 and had no difficulty whatsoever with the boss fight you're coming up to. There's a much later one I had some trouble with until I changed my party setup/job selection a bit to optimise my attacks on said boss' weakness. 

I think it's time to do the post game this week. 

Sound advice.. Turns out I was actually lvl 40, so spent last night levelling up. Completed the Arena, got most of my team up to lvl 46 (with job levels somewhere in the 20's).. then got sidetracked as usual into Cinema & Hostess Club visits to try and max out the Bond levels of remaining party members. 

The main plus point, even though I spent the night essentially grinding I still had fun doing it, which is rare for an RPG.

Will see how the boss fight goes this evening.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hmmm, I did the Sotenbori battle arena and got through that particular fight without a huge amount of struggle.

Not too much further on though and I've hit a huge brick wall against a (rather familiar) boss who is level 57 and able to one-shot anyone in my team. My characters are only around level 50 so have I got no choice but to go back to the arena and grind some more? I haven't unlocked anything new really since the last time I went through it, and this seems like a huge leap in required levels since the last big fight not so long ago.

I overlevelled myself to Lv62 (and even then the danger of one-shots was real) and maxed out most of my MP item carrying capacities so that I could use the most powerful moves (“Essence of _______” etc.) However, I only really spent MP to get through the tougher phases as quickly as possible - I’d use cheaper moves up until then. (Especially when most of my party had some kind of move or accessory that recovered a bit of MP for free...)

It’s definitely one of the game’s major walls though, so you’re not alone in the struggle. :) 

I'm sick of this now. I was trying to finish the part-time hero quests last night, the ones where you hunt the enemies. Three fucking hours I spent trying to find this one called Musclehead on Isezaki Road, they just wouldn't spawn. In the end I went to the sewers because I knew they were definitely there. I'm only up to about the fourth quest, so if any more of them are like that the game is going in the bin!